Tahitian Necklace

P

Peggysue

I've recently refamiliarized my love of pearls, and have been in shock for about six months with how much there is to know. I plan to expand my scanty collection, however, when $$ for quality pearls and sufficient education is all in place. I'm very, very impressed with three internet sites, one is Amanda's and the other Pearl Paradise.

I just noticed a couple of days ago the necklace on this link:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=599

How can this pearl necklace be so affordable? I do hav to say the price drop makes me leery, as I've seen all kinds of dishonesty on the web. I have no reason to suspect Mr Shepards store, as his advice and knowledge on this site has saved me from bad and costly mistakes. So, excuse me for asking, but what is the catch? Why the special price? The discount looks terrific, but nothing short of just throwing it at me. (And I am seriously considering purchase.) :D

Thanks!!

Peggysue:

Peggysue,

That particular piece is so inexpensive because it is our monthly special. Also, it is not a 'prefab' piece, we actually drill the pearl and set the diamond in our office. So we pay component wholesale for each part.
I had found a great deal on a large, peacock lot of Tahitian drops last summer, and we had not found a use for them, so we decided to put them into this monthly special.

Tahitian Necklace

J Shepard,

Thanks for the quick response, and information. Outstanding:D

Peggysue

Hi Peggysue,
If you have any questions about Tahitian pearls or what you may be interested in, do not hesitate to contact me. I would be glad to help you!

Baroque pearls

Baroque pearls

Hi Peggysue,

Baroque Pearls are typically the least expensive type of pearls available. Many vendors will typically try to incorporate baroque pearls into their jewlery becasue it tends to be the most profitable, especially when dealing with larger pearls. A pearl to be that cheap is not such a big deal, larger vendors do it all the time to get you into their store. Thanks

I see this differently. I do not think most designers use baroque pearls simply because the cost or value is lower than that of perfect rounds, these pearls simply present themselves better in pieces designed around the uniqueness of the pearl, not the classic look. I feel the design of the piece draws the customers into the store, not the perceived value of the pearl. Designers often use combinations of stones and gold which add to the actual value of the pieces. Customers are paying for a piece of ‘art’, not simply for the value of a single pearl.
The piece we are selling on our 'monthly special' combines a gem-quality drop Tahitian with a $900/ct diamond and 14k setting and chain. I really do not think you can honestly claim we are trying to 'get people into our store' with this piece. This is obviously a piece we are basically giving away as a monthly special. Do the math, the margin is less than 10%.

Last edited:
I believe that there is also come confusion between Baroque pearls and Drop/Pear shaped pearls. The Baroque/Ringed is a different shape category. The pendant in question in this thread is not Baroque.

Excellent quality drop or pear shape Tahitians, while not as valuable on their own as rounds, are still considered very valuable. They are also very sought after in pieces of jewelry such as pendants simply due to their shape. The pear shape lends itself very well to both earrings and pendants making a very unique piece (or work of art).

Baroque pearls and Drop/Pear shaped pearls.

Baroque pearls and Drop/Pear shaped pearls.

Hello I'm a new member. I've invested many$$$ in the last several years in Baroque South Sea pearls I collect whole strands in unusual colors from different parts of the world: from Kasumiga, Japan to Myanmar to Australia to Indonesia to Tahitian.
I'm a collector. I like the character of unround pearls. My critique is luster, large size and color uniformity in a strand. I like baroque strands because they can be worn with anything - from blue jeans to black tie events. I would feel uncomfortible wearing a round strand to the grocery store. Too formal for my lifestyle. A baroque strand is special because each pearl has it's own life scars and unique physical composition. I have a round tahitian strand and it is my least favorite.

I used to have a retail jewelry outlet. An Impostors Copy Jewels store (what could be worse?) In fact, I was a local dealer for majorca (no comments from any peanut gallery!!!) Buying mass-produced made me appreciate uniqueness in jewelry items for my own colection. Best regards to all.

Baroque Tahitian pearls are definitely my favorite! I personally enjoy the allure and uniqueness of each piece and the colors are just magnificent as they reflect off of the pearl.

baroque tahitian

baroque tahitian

i am new here and hope this is right. another place to post ? from a novice?

i have a necklace of baroque black pearls from an estate, est.30-40 yo.
they are huge..some are18mmx10. they are striated and kind of lumpy.one side of most is flat. the color is dark grey with green and purple,all of different color variation unlike painted ones i have seen.

i love them and thought they were cool...listening to y'all makes me skittish!!

I Am Not Terribly Techie But Have A New Dig Camera. I Will Try To Get Some Nat Light And White Background So You Can At Least See The Shape..enormous.they're Wild!!!

Is There A Rule Of Thumb Related To The Play Of Color In Natural Vs Imitation?
Thanks...you Are All Wonderful.
Rae

Tahitian Baroques have definitely been a hit with the high-end designer market in the last year. Just take a look at David Yurman's collection. Just in the last few month's, I've seen a large number of high-end jewelers implement Tahitian and South Sea baroques in their "designer" jewelry while doing some research in travel magazines.

I agree Amanda they are popping up everywhere, i mean Jeremy did the baroque strand for an oscar gift bag last year, so don't be surprised if you see some big name stars photographed with these on.

I also think that baroque Tahitian pearls are set to migrate over to men's fashion soon. With amount of men out there wearing shell and bead necklaces and bracelets, there is no reason why baroques in the same style can't work. Its just a matter of getting men over the stigma that "pearls are for girls" and showing them that the dark Tahitians can be manly.

I'm designing a baroque Tahitian bracelet currently as an experiment, I'll post a picture when its done later this week.

Tahitian pearls for men have actually been a real hit in the past few years. I think that the trend is really catching on. I have many male clients who are wearing Tahitian pearls. If you look back in history, kings wore pearls regularly as a status symbol.

I have been meaning to mention this for weeks. I swear Chris Daughtry wore a 8mm black pearl strand. The whole strand. It looked great- very masculine.

When I sell in public, like at a booth in a local event, I have seen people of Chris' "style" (you know, tatooos and chains hanging from the pocket) wearing hematite beads for years.

I think Black pearls have cache` for Gothy types. When the Artsy/Gothy set "gets" this about black pearls, watch out. I don't think black-dyed akoyas will do, too small, -but black-dyed CFWP in larger sizes will do nicely for those who can't afford Tahitian.

I've noticed that as well. I don't think Chris's is a pearl but it does look a large bead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris may have worn a a singleton pearl on leather, but I also saw him wear an entire strand of beads/pearls. My guess was it was black-dyed CFW pearls about 7-8mm. In any case whoever would like wearing that style in a string of beads of any kind, is going to like it in black pearls too! It shows perfectly worn with a tee shirt!
While Tahitians may continue to be popular as singletons, CFW pearls will continue to be affordable for those who like the string of pearls look.

Last edited:
We just made a pair of earrings for a customer using leather yesterday. To make the pair a little more femine we used a lighter leather. Do you like?

Attachments

• Exampleleatherearring.jpg
    Exampleleatherearring.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 66
I'm gonna say honestly I don't like it, too bohemian(ie. hippy) for my tastes but then again I think some will love my my new bracelets for men and some will not.

I wear a large baroque Tahitian pendant often and I get lots of positive comments from men and women so I think full strands and bracelets are the next logical step.

Here is a press release from around 1998 titled "real men wear pearls"
http://www.pearlinfo.com/index2.html

Just think about where diamonds have gone in the last 5 or so years, no self respecting hip hop artist would go out the door without a dozen or so carats on. 20 years ago they would have been laughed off stage wearing a diamond bracelet or necklace.

Back