Strand arrived today

Kaywal

Hi!

I'm very excited that my first strand of Freshadamas arrived today. I ordered a 15 inch strand 6-7mm with rose overtones.

The luster is amazing. I've been comparing to the AAA 6-7mm bracelet that I have from PP, and the old akoya strand my parents gave me.

I have some questions. Please tell me if you think I'm being too picky. I'm new to the pearl buying world, and I want to make sure these are right.

The Freshadamas are smaller than the AAA bracelet that I have. Both of these are from PP, and both are 6-7mm. The matching of size is excellent on the Freshadama strand, but I'm wondering why smaller? I was anticipating getting the same size as the bracelet.

I don't find the "roundness" to be appreciably different from the AAAs to the Freshadamas. I thought they'd be more spherical. Is that being too picky? I tried to illustrate this in the photos. The bracelet strand is the ivory one on the right in photo #2 and on top in photos #3 and 4.

All in all, the luster is what sets them apart from the AAAs, and that's mainly why I purchased them. They put my old akoya strand to shame! (sorry parents!) I also love the "P" charm, as my husband's name starts with a "P.":)

I bought these to wear to an event where I'll be wearing a strapless dress, but I'd love to wear them more than that. I want to make sure that I shouldn't send them back for a possibly larger and more spherical strand. Is this as spherical as they get? I'm only saying larger, because the pearls on my 6-7mm bracelet are visibly larger than the 6-7mm necklace.

Thanks for any advice! I don't mean to be too picky. I'm still learning.:)

Kay

Attachments

• freshadama6.jpg
    freshadama6.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 58
  • freshadama5.jpg
    freshadama5.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 62
  • freshadama4.jpg
    freshadama4.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 55
  • freshadama3.jpg
    freshadama3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 53
  • freshadama2.jpg
    freshadama2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Here's the neck shot. I'll be wearing them with a strapless brocade dress.

Attachments

• freshadama1.jpg
    freshadama1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 67
Strand on left is Freshadama.
Right is AAA.

Attachments

• freshadama7.jpg
    freshadama7.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 66
I would venture to guess the 6 - 7 mm strand that seems larger is actually 6.5 to 7.5 mm instead of 6 - 7 mm. It could also be 6.7 - 7.1 mm. We mixed those sizes down to 6 - 7 mm recently.

BTW, do the new freshadamas all come with the "P" charm now?

Thanks for replying Jeremy. I just measured them, and the bracelet looks like it's right around 7.5mm. The necklace is around 7mm. I measured using a clear flexible ruler, and I think it's pretty close. Answers my question.

Thanks airdancer! Thanks for the info about roundness. I didn't know if they were supposed to be "eye spherical." I have an eagle eye, so I'm more apt to notice shape. I start the GIA Graduate Gemologist on campus program in May, so hopefully this eagle eye will pay off!

Oh, and they are spherical from a distance just not appreciably more than the AAA.

The luster is beyond beautiful and the orient/rose overtone is so lovely. Ah freshwater pearls!

Thanks!

Last edited:
The photo in post #3 is a great side-by side comparison of AAA vs. Freshadama-- and the Freshies have noticeably greater luster. They look plenty round to me and the overtones are luscious.

You look superb in your pearls!

I see the size, lustre and overtone difference in favor of the necklace, but cannot pick non-round pearls in it, just a couple somewhat off-round in the bracelet. It isn't obvious for me to judge fine degrees of roundness in a 2D picture - 3-4% off-roundness just gets lost.

Are these going to be worn together at all? The match isn't terrific...

If the folks at Pearl Paradise can provide even more perfect pearls and match a bracelet, then why not be picky ;) Besides, I'm not sure where else to go for that illusive strand of geometrically correct non-nucleated pearls! If they are game, your pearls would be a rare thing.

The necklace looks terrific on you...

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the feedback Pearl_Dreams and Valeria!

Valeria--I won't be wearing the bracelet and the necklace at the same time. I like to mix it up. I really like the bracelet, though it is not Freshadama, but perhaps I should get a Freshadama bracelet! Just in case...:p

So glad I found this forum. I've learned so much! Also glad that I made my first purchases with such a great vendor.

Just wanted to say that they look great on you. Good choice of dress and pearls!

The rose overtone strand are WOW. Both are beautiful. Makes me want to shop, again.

Hi Kaywal,

Just lovely, That neck shot looks like an ad for pearls in "Town & Country"!

I will look forward to hearing of your adventures during the GG course! I think that would be so interesting!

That necklace is a great basic for the pearl wardrobe--and perfect for adding enhancers--to change out the look if you wish.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Very, very lovely, Key. Simple, classic elegance - the pearls show off the dress and the dress shows off the pearls.

We really should think more about wearing only one piece of jewelry at a time. Trying to show a lot of pieces risks turning oneself into a Christmas tree.

Most of the time "less is more."

I would venture to guess the 6 - 7 mm strand that seems larger is actually 6.5 to 7.5 mm instead of 6 - 7 mm. It could also be 6.7 - 7.1 mm. We mixed those sizes down to 6 - 7 mm recently.

Kaywal

Just a couple of years ago a strand would differ only 0,5 mm but now it is a whole mm so if you want to be sure to get larger pearls, you have to choose the next size, i.e. to get 7 mm pearls you have to take 7 - 8 mm and so on.

Lovely pearls with a nice rose overtone and fine luster. Elegant together with the bridal gown.

Kaywal,
The pearls look amazing on your neck!! Of course both your necklace and neck are gorgeous.:)

Thanks for the kind words ladies!

Pattye-- I'll be happy to report on my experiences in the G.G. program. I start mid May, and I'm very excited! I'm new to pearls, but I've been a gem lover since I was a kid. I'm going to take the pearl course as soon as I finish the main Gemologist program.

I really love this necklace! I love the length, and the size is simple and perfect for some necklines. I ordered it an inch shorter, because I've always loved this look. I'm thinking about venturing into the larger sizes. I dress really simply, and I worry about jewelry being too much, but I think an 18 inch 8-9mm will be great for work. Already planning the next purchase.:cool:heh heh.

The rose overtone is very strong. I didn't expect that at all. Yay!

Thanks again!

Kaywal

Just a couple of years ago a strand would differ only 0,5 mm but now it is a whole mm so if you want to be sure to get larger pearls, you have to choose the next size, i.e. to get 7 mm pearls you have to take 7 - 8 mm and so on.

Lovely pearls with a nice rose overtone and fine luster. Elegant together with the bridal gown.

Thanks Jerin! This will be helpful for my next purchase. I was confused, because my AAA bracelet strand seemed so much bigger at the same PP-listed size, but for the bracelet, I think I lucked out, and got even larger pearls than they listed. :)

Your necklace looks absolutely perfect on you! It really could be an ad, the way the pearls go with you and the dress. Great choice.

And please do keep us updated on your GG course experiences...always interesting to hear about the educations we pursue.

Thanks very much Heidi!

Here are a few more photos.

#1 is the strand against the brocade of the dress I will be wearing. (In the earlier neck shot, I'm wearing a top that has a similar neckline-not the actual dress. I love them with that top too, though!)

#2 is bright sunlight coming in the window.

#3 blocked sunlight coming from the window. I got the best photos when I made a shadow over the pearls. I wish I could post the true photo resolution, so much better than the scaled down internet resolution. Ah, I could photograph pearls all day!

Attachments

• freshadama9.jpg
    freshadama9.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 67
  • freshadama10.jpg
    freshadama10.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 67
  • freshadama8.jpg
    freshadama8.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 67
Back