South American Pearls

T

Taylor

I was just wondering if there are any special, not terribly expensive, pearls from the western coast of Central or South America?

Hi Taylor,
I am starting my pearl culture now. So I do not have pearl yet. The only thing I had is some little tiny mabe pearl (my first experiments). If you have some interest, please send me a email (occunhalima@gmail.com).

Regards

Ricardo Cunha Lima

Hi Ricardo,
I will certainly email you when I return from South America. I was hoping that there might be some native pearls available at tourist dockside shops there. I have read about the sea of Cortez pearls but assume they are far too rare or too expensive to appear in such shops selling to tourists. I don't want to buy pearls from China when in Chile or purchase anything that was illegally poached.
Good luck with your pearl farm. It must be fun to grow beautiful things.
Taylor

Besides the dark pearls that are from the Sea of Cortez, there are the natural conch pearls. However, they are expensive and are found in the Caribbean near Central America. Besides that, there may be a few Freshwater pearl farms in the area.

Hi Taylor,
if you are in Chile, try to contact prof Illanes at universidad Catolica del Norte, Coquimbo, IV region. A few years ago he intented produce abalone pearls. I do not know if he goes on on his project, but...

Regards
Ricardo

Back