Sotheby's in Doha

Valeria101

Perhaps you have already seen this in the news, but since there is no post about the event here...

Sotheby's opened their latest emerging market (outdated lingo?) venue in Doha, and rolled something better then the average red carpet on the occasion:

CLICK HERE for the relevant page

I am quite puzzled at their move and choice... Penny for your thoughts!

cpt_m_img3.jpg

Last edited:
The pearl carpet of Baroda was supposed to be one of many that fit together. Can you imagine a sea of pearls at your feet? Pretty wild. ;)

Had no idea there were more of these! Are the whereabouts of the rest known?

I am surprised that beading has endured so well without thread, fabric fraying under the weight of the beads.

Can you imagine a sea of pearls at your feet?

Post-harvest time at a FWP sorting facility, perhaps ;) ...

Quite crazy how much of the imagery of 'impossible luxury' has become anything but. Frankly, I wonder for how many of the world that thing is more epitome of kitsch then vision of heaven these days.

Bravely enough, the description by Sotheby's makes the point of the object being yet another glamorous example of Eastern art at odds with the contemporary notion of mainstream Islam. They are not alone, apparently

Methinks: since this wrapper was put together, the required beading labour has been catching up with the intrinsic value of components (including thought substitutes). What now? Perhaps Sotheby's knows better macroeconomics then most in the trade of knowing it.

Silly, but this is one of those instances when something is crying out loud 'deeper meaning here!', but no single notion pans out of it :eek:

Oh well...

Quite crazy how much of the imagery of 'impossible luxury' has become anything but. Frankly, I wonder for how many of the world that thing is more epitome of kitsch then vision of heaven these days.

I don't quite think the pearl carpet of Baroda should be referred to as the epitome of kitsch. That label is reserved for things like tiger striped synthetic fur inflatable furniture. And maybe a few things in my Slraep's Xmas Idea threads.

Although the chair would be much more comfortable to lounge around on compared to the carpet.

Attachments

• home_inflatable_tigerchair.jpg
    home_inflatable_tigerchair.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Oh, I must have one of those for my formal living room.

You too? It wouldn't last very long at my place. None of the cats are declawed.

Come to think of it, the carpet wouldn't last too long either! I'd have to get it put into a wooden frame topped with UV-ray blocking glass and add some legs to it. That would make one awesome coffee table the cats could sit on.

Last edited:
Perhaps you have already seen this in the news, but since there is no post about the event here...

I am quite puzzled at their move and choice... Penny for your thoughts!

It's for sale for the first time, Not for walking on.

This particuar piece was made the Maharaja wanted to create a carpet that would be suitable for the tomb of the Prophet Mohammad in Medina. Comissioned in 1865 and the Maharaja died in 1870. The maharajs's wishes for the carpet not fullfilled. It stayed in the family.

Would like to know more about this Idea of there more than one of these??? I have an interest in Histrical carpets from Mughal India and Safavid Persia. I am very new to resaerching carpets, any help and guidance given is greatly appreciated!

I have heard this was the case for carpets such as The Ardabil Carpet which was one of two large carpets for the shrine of Ardabil they were placed in. and used for there hundred years.

Always looking for more knowledge on such beautful and fun stuff!!!

Cheers
Ash

Mr. & Mrs. & Mrs. & Mrs., etc. Baroda sure had a lot of pearls, didn't they! I wonder if they ever solved the dispute of the necklace. Considering the strands he owned, having commissioned numerous rugs doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't expect a lot of wear and tear as the rugs were maybe more of a tapestry rug? and were cared for, I would assume.

Pic of the whole carpet.

Attachments

• Sothebys-2ch.jpg
    Sothebys-2ch.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 62
Can't find my Strack book, but I think that was where I read the comment about the Baroda pearl rug possibly being part of a group. If anyone has the book handy, look up rug in the index. ;)

Can't find my Strack book, but I think that was where I read the comment about the Baroda pearl rug possibly being part of a group. If anyone has the book handy, look up rug in the index. ;)

Thanks for getting back to me on this Gem Geek.:)

I am a baaaadd girl I do not have that book yet. <Slinks away hanging head down in shame...>

cheers
Ash

Awaiting evidence...

None of the story put up with the auction points to this 'carpet' being part of a group... the use seems to point to the contrary, and the tension around its making (sounds like the clan was uneasy enough about having just this one made)... previous exhibits.

The design does remind of carpets meant for assembly, but I doubt this is very relevant. Here's the reasoning:

I have ZERO experience with fine oriental carpets. And perhaps that's one big reason why I am seeing this thing as a religious object - not necesarily a 'carpet'. After all, nothing in its making relates to carpets at all - perhaps embroidery, the jewelry trade... Also, tomb covers are a very broad, eclectic category: among historic bequests in kind, the ones using typical carpet-making techniques are anything but the rule.

It sounds to me that the auctioneer wanted to avoid calling this object a 'tomb cover' (perhaps in line with the commissioner's unease with that intended use of the object... perhaps with the sensibilities of a more eclectic marketing mind. Wonder what this will be bought for? It would be quite a feat if it ended up in Medina after all. Now that for headlines! ]

I am as curious as any about whether other similar things (by any interesting definition) exist. After all, not much really is 'one of a kind'.

Speaking of tomb covers...

It must by quite extravagant on the hypothetical 'scale' of tomb covers. However, lavish 'textiles' meant for this function add up to a large and diverse class of objects. And the type of object was / is a typical form of religious bequest - some of historical significance (what better advertising board then a popular shrine.)

Now, there is a reason why I do no 'see' the sort as a type of 'carpet'... The examples I have seen (Christian, in the Byzantine fashion: of Romanian, Russian, Greek, Hungarian, Austrian and German origin / dated between 1400 and 1800, I think - no special quest, just visiting church museums all over the place. It's a kind of sport...) could be defined as a class of 'extravagant, singular covers some donor could come up with, in line to whatever skills the respective community and time in history allowed'. The results are one of a kind flights of personal fancy that combine crafts and materials in unique ways - not unlike the beaded pearl throw at auction ('carpet' sounds that much better then 'tomb throw', doesn't it). One fellow that used to rule north of here around 1500 recounted military exploits in gold embroidery and seed pearls on such 'manifesto' tomb covers... a dozen coming with a matching church :rolleyes: Other examples from more stable, more affluent places and times are easily examples of jewelry - much like the pearl carpet that started the story.

Clearly, India is better place then most to look for the intersection between embroidery and jewelry - precious threads, jewelry meant for application on clothing: ideas rather alien to European jewelry (well, almost). That pearl thing brings together the crafts and tastes of that place. Its pattern is one super popular representation of heaven in a tradition with strict rules on graphic representation. The inlaid marble of Taj Mahal that is mentioned in the auction intro references the same concept. Carpets and a myriad of finer things did / do the same.

Frankly, I do not know whether the history of tomb covers is written anywhere in one place - I'd bet it is. An enormous class of 'monumental textiles' - if anything deserves the description. Someone ought to have written of them! I'd rather look this sort of reference up rather then carpets in general...

I'll wait for Google Books to kick in for this one though, LOL! - rather exotic subject...

Sure enough, I know nothing of the really useful, close references. Just trying to make sense of an 'alien' thing against the closest genre I can think of, if you wish. The practice got me in trouble more then once! ;)

PS.

Ever doubted there is a modern take on sale? LOL!

amalasunta.jpg

(Google, the bastards! :eek: )

PPS.

Don't have any good excuse for the self-indulging rant! Only that everyone else is free to do the same. Promise' to read.

Last edited:
Any dimensions on this puppy? What's the average tomb size?

Pearl carpet: 5ft 7 1/4 in X 8ft 7 1/8 (~ 1.7 m x 2.6 m )

Tomb:... hm... the shrine is a secretive place: no pictures, no measurements. The one photograph (1870-ish) shows a roomy sarcophagus of traditional shape (rectangular box, roof of two slabs with vertical ends). I cannot find a copy of that picture online, but for some reason I remained with the idea that the tomb is of normal size (shoulder high at most, likely less) - nothing extreme. Doubt there is any rule for size: old local Muslim and Jewish cemeteries are filled with these in all sorts of sizes and proportions. Some anatomically improbable... No clue.

Elisabeth Strack's book "Pearls" cites a written historical record:

In 1903 the carpet was part of an exhibition of Indian art at the Kudsia Gardens in Delhi. Sir George Watt wrote in the catalogue for the exhibition that the pearl carpet drew more attention than any other object. Two parts of an "originally breathtaking ensemble" were shown: a round part resembling a baldachin and a "rectangular carpet" of about 2.72 x 1.62 metres in size. It is said that the original carpet was made of four such rectangular parts. There is no information today on the whereabouts of the remaining parts and the baldachin, but the one rectangular carpet of 1903 is still in the posession of the family today.

Very interesting. ;)

Just caught up on this thread - what a magnificent thing! pearls as textiles...

Catalog entry now online.

...in the catalog's scholarly take, the bit about multiple pieces is confusing a bit: not clear whether this one is part of an older set of five or a remake.

Last edited:
Christie's "scholarly take" is confusing. It confirms the existence of a set, then quotes someone who says a duplicate of one of the rectangles was the only remaining piece. Harumph! ;)

Extravagant Holy Throw

Extravagant Holy Throw

Awaiting evidence...

Speaking of tomb covers...

It must by quite extravagant on the hypothetical 'scale' of tomb covers. However, lavish 'textiles' meant for this function add up to a large and diverse class of objects. And the type of object was / is a typical form of religious bequest - some of historical significance (what better advertising board then a popular shrine.)

Now, there is a reason why I do no 'see' the sort as a type of 'carpet'... The examples I have seen (Christian, in the Byzantine fashion: of Romanian, Russian, Greek, Hungarian, Austrian and German origin / dated between 1400 and 1800, I think - no special quest, just visiting church museums all over the place. It's a kind of sport...) could be defined as a class of 'extravagant, singular covers some donor could come up with, in line to whatever skills the respective community and time in history allowed'. The results are one of a kind flights of personal fancy that combine crafts and materials in unique ways - not unlike the beaded pearl throw at auction ('carpet' sounds that much better then 'tomb throw', doesn't it).

PS.

Valeria101

if we had to use a scale, this holy cover/carpet? in Makkah, is even more extravagant, known as the Kiswa (COVER) it is placed on the Holy Ka?abah at the Grand Mosque in Makkah.

The kiswa consists of five pieces of pure silk; four pieces cover each side of the Ka?abah, while the fifth piece covers its door.

I think Egypt used to send over the kiswa by special arrangement each year, but it is now manufactured by the Kiswa Factory near Makkah at a cost of $5.3 million.

It's a little larger than the Baroda throw, the new kiswa is 42 feet high, 141 feet wide and weighs nearly 400 pounds. It's embroidered with gold thread, but I don't believe any pearls. :(

Yvonne

Back