Soon an auction sale of Pipi pearls in Paris

Bo Torrey (how is Bo these days?) once told me in his inimitable way that pipi meat is delicious but annoyingly crunchy—his predominant memory from a pearl-spitting oyster feed on a beach in Manihiki in the 90s. Actually pipi are considered a plague by the cultured pearl industry, much as barnacles to tall ships.

Hello Mr Steve.

How many nautilus Pearls do you have now ? ;)

How many nautilus Pearls do you have now ?

Dear Mr. Dave TT,

How many would you like?

?

Seriously, please re-read the Nautilus thread. There you will find no proof of the typicity or existence of Nautilus pearls. The thread was an extremely entertaining, if wholly conjectural, scientific exercise at the highest academic levels. And there were some really interesting and beautiful non-nacreous pearls that continue to fascinate and escape classification.

More likely, that thread has served to debunk GIA's prior Nautilus certifications?an equally valid result, as said certificates strongly motivated the effort.

Yet the final chapter has not been written?

?Back to poe pipi?

Dear Mr. Dave TT,

How many would you like?

Seriously, please re-read the Nautilus thread. There you will find no proof of the typicity or existence of Nautilus pearls. The thread was an extremely entertaining, if wholly conjectural, scientific exercise at the highest academic levels. And there were some really interesting and beautiful non-nacreous pearls that continue to fascinate and escape classification.

More likely, that thread has served to debunk GIA's prior Nautilus certifications—an equally valid result, as said certificates strongly motivated the effort.

Yet the final chapter has not been written…

…Back to poe pipi?

Aha, sorry i tought that it was already proved. I also read this ( http://www.naturalpearlsociety.org/species/ )
I saw Pictures of i Think 3 that you had, the one with the storm Whirlpool was Amazing.

ps : sorry for off topic.

As 'originator' of poe pipi at Pearl-Guide I'll assume the right to just one more diversion here. Hadn't intended to post anything further on Nautilus without further news. My post above is simply to reassert the intended objectivity of that thread, in spite of its enthusiasm.

Thanks.

these where offered to me some months ago seller had somewhere between 1000 and 2000 pearls for sale what i could see from the email think some more members here had these pearls offered so for the question are they rare yes they are rare but there are several thousands for sale :)

pipi.jpg

Another picture posting from the same guy on FB !

1476347_565902203479675_1844256446_n.jpg

It is not specified if this pearl will be included in the sale. The legend just says "new crop from Bali".
I really hope the owner will forgive me, if he comes on this forum, for posting these nice pictures !

My editorial opinion: When pearls are photographed for sale, they are like a press release; meant to be spread as far as possible, so such pearls are fine to copy here. Also, since one is not using the above photo for personal profit, or if it isn't presented as being owned by the poster, and it's posted for educational or critical purposes such as discussion, such usage is completely fair and legal.

I remember back when I used to try to get permission to use photos- it was really dumb. I actually got permission to use a photo of Mabel Dodge wearing the Dodge pearls when they were up for sale, and the auction people said, "only until the auction is over". Well, then I saw the photo all over the internet and decided it was silly to ask an auction house, anyway.

We aren't making commercial use of any photo posted here- and that is the critieria for being able to sue, or complain, or whatever. And it is a pet peeve of mine when people use links and the links disappear- then the post loses much of its educational value.

We can never have enough photos!!! IMO

Ps, why do some tridacna pearls have flame? The shells don't, right? Which tridacna species is the one above from? Did I just ask this question?

You have posted many many photographs of your pearls here on Pearl Guide, all of which are presumably available for sale. You can't have it both ways. Buyers know that they do not have any rights to photographs taken before a sale. How does taking down the photographs protect your buyers?

Well, I for one would love to have some of that Pipi plague. Where do I have to travel to pick them up off the beach ? Where can one buy them for that matter. Yes, I know they are being auctioned but … I should think they will be expensive or am I wrong. Is there a guide price on the Pipis at auction.

Would love to own KiwiPaul's Pipi. That is a stunner.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I asked a while back the price for a 6mm pearl (or thereabouts) and I was told something like 1000EU per pearl. It sounded like the expense of getting the pearls, etc. was factored into the price. Anyways, it was an order of magnitude more than I could afford, but my are they beautiful!

On another thread of this forum about Pipi pearls, I found this guideline provided by Steve Smetzler, but it dates back from 2007 so no idea of how is the situation today.
Here is the quote :

"Here is a guideline of prices for A grade (highest) high-luster, deep golden poe pipi as loose pearls at retail in Rarotonga quoted in recent weeks. This is US dollars, and US retail equivalent would be calculated in multiples:

3.5mm baroque: $100
3.5mm round: $250
4.0mm drop: $350
5.0mm round: $600
6.2mm round: $1000"

and here is the link to the page :
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1300&page=3

From people I know, I understand that the sale took place these last days in Paris. It was not held in H?tel Drouot eventually, but in another auction house rue de la Grange Bateli?re (same area).
I cannot find any more details right now about the exact date but according to my sources the sale was quite unsuccessful.
I'll try to grab more information if I can.
By the way here is the FB page of the seller. This one is public so I think everybody is allowed and welcome to visit it :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Croissy-Pacific-Natural-pearls-Perles-fines/200864239928364

Well, I for one would love to know his asking prices for individual pearls, and the blister pearls on the shell especially, are now that the auction is over.

Back