So proud of this set. I’m new to pearl stringing

BrendaKY

Community member
I want to say thank you to everyone on this site. I have learned so much in the past 4 months. You all made this possible! I struggled with my first 3 necklaces until I heard about Ms. Pattye’s extra fine needles and thread! If you are a beginner like me and you have not visited her website do it immediately! These are 3 necklaces and 2 bracelets. I found an old vintage double clasp at an auction and fell in love with it. So built the set around the clasp. Tell me your thoughts! I have knotted about 16 necklaces now. I’m still working on finishing those last 3 pearls! Still struggling with getting the needle and thread through. Thanks to Patricia Saab and her needles it is getting easier!

Attachments

• IMG_4787.jpeg
    IMG_4787.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4789.jpeg
    IMG_4789.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4821.jpeg
    IMG_4821.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 58
Nice tight knots-- great stringing! Serafil is a wonderful thread --- Pattye is a treasure!
Pearl Dreams thank you so much for the encouragement. This website and group of people have been such a blessing in so many ways. I can’t say thank you enough. Pattye is very nice and has been so supportive and helpful. I look forward to learning more and more from all of you. Sincerely, Brenda

NICE!!!! Those look great.

Honestly, those last 3 pearls are still the bane of my existence, too. Try to find the 3 pearls with the biggest holes and save those pearls for the last 3.

I change my knotting technique on the last 3 pearls. I knot with a doubled thread on the whole strand, up until the last 3 pearls. Then I leave one strand going through the last 3 pearls, unknotted, and hanging out of the last pearl, near the clasp. Then I use a single strand to go through the 3 pearls, the French wire, the clasp, and back through the last pearl. Then I use the single thread to knot around the other thread, then back through the 2nd to last pearl, and knot around the other thread. Pull tight on both threads. Tiny drop of glue on the last two knots. Then snip off both threads.

That helps reduce the amount of thread going through the last pearls.

NICE!!!! Those look great.

Honestly, those last 3 pearls are still the bane of my existence, too. Try to find the 3 pearls with the biggest holes and save those pearls for the last 3.

I change my knotting technique on the last 3 pearls. I knot with a doubled thread on the whole strand, up until the last 3 pearls. Then I leave one strand going through the last 3 pearls, unknotted, and hanging out of the last pearl, near the clasp. Then I use a single strand to go through the 3 pearls, the French wire, the clasp, and back through the last pearl. Then I use the single thread to knot around the other thread, then back through the 2nd to last pearl, and knot around the other thread. Pull tight on both threads. Tiny drop of glue on the last two knots. Then snip off both threads.

That helps reduce the amount of thread going through the last pearls.
I may give that a try. I’m worried about one strand of thread holding the French wire and clasp. Do you have trouble with it breaking? I have started reaming out the holes a little bit or finding 3 with bigger holes. That has definitely helped along with using Pattye’s extra fine needles. Also have learned to test the size thread with those last 3 pearls first before starting my project. Just another tip I have picked up from watching videos on this and other websites. Thank you for the advice I will give it a try if I struggle on my future projects.

Nice job! And oh wow, that clasp! I love Pattye's store too. I often use different beads, like 3mm gold filled beads, for the first and last 3. I don't think it detracts from the necklace, at least not much.

I may give that a try. I’m worried about one strand of thread holding the French wire and clasp. Do you have trouble with it breaking? I have started reaming out the holes a little bit or finding 3 with bigger holes. That has definitely helped along with using Pattye’s extra fine needles. Also have learned to test the size thread with those last 3 pearls first before starting my project. Just another tip I have picked up from watching videos on this and other websites. Thank you for the advice I will give it a try if I struggle on my future projects.

Pattye's thread is STRONG. Plus I use Pattye's French wire around the loop of the clasp, which protects the thread even more. I've never had Pattye's thread break. Silk, yes.

Brenda, you have done an amazing stringing job and that stunning clasp is an inspiration for sure! I love the pearls you've chosen, too! Yes, I still today have to test the thread with the beginning and ending pearls and ream if necessary. I still hold my breath on those last 3 pearls!! I have shared before, but will mention here that a very fine headpin pushed carefully through from each end of the pearl almost always will open a channel for the needle to pass more easily.
It's great that we can problem solve together, truly in the spirit of being open about the "secrets of pearl stringing" that Caitlin, our dear departed admin envisioned as "Lowly Beader's Club" thread became an invaluable part of this awesome pearl forum!
Thank you all ~ Brenda, Pearl Dreams, Bweaves, Linda, Cathy ~ so, so much for your kind words and purchases!

Brenda, you have done an amazing stringing job and that stunning clasp is an inspiration for sure! I love the pearls you've chosen, too! Yes, I still today have to test the thread with the beginning and ending pearls and ream if necessary. I still hold my breath on those last 3 pearls!! I have shared before, but will mention here that a very fine headpin pushed carefully through from each end of the pearl almost always will open a channel for the needle to pass more easily.
It's great that we can problem solve together, truly in the spirit of being open about the "secrets of pearl stringing" that Caitlin, our dear departed admin envisioned as "Lowly Beader's Club" thread became an invaluable part of this awesome pearl forum!
Thank you all ~ Brenda, Pearl Dreams, Bweaves, Linda, Cathy ~ so, so much for your kind words and purchases!
Thank you Pattye. I have now started reaming my last 3 pearls and testing before I start a necklace. I also have found some needles that actually work like a round saw blade. I move it back and forth inside the pearl hole and it slowly scrapes away the inside and makes the hole bigger. It works pretty well. Trial and errors and especially advice from all of you sure have helped me to further my knotting skills so much quicker than I ever expected. Thanks again. I am sure I will have many more questions in the future.

Back