Scotland's Bill Abernethy and the Last Pearl Fisherman passed Away

In a sad note, this past November 26th marked the end of an Era for the UK's pearling tradition with the passing of Bill Abernathy: Scotland's last pearl diver and a man known for the dance in his Soul and feet, and for having found valuable natural freshwater pearls in Scotland's lochs and rivers before the pearl fishing ban.
shutterstock_editorial_1481948a.jpg_41675510-1sz2dpxys.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	shutterstock_editorial_1481948a.jpg_41675510-1sz2dpxys.jpg Views:	0 Size:	325.1 KB ID:	458435

He found the famous "Abernathy Pearl" (also referred to as "Little Willie") and many other valuable pearls. Passed away at 96 years of age.

For the complete story please head over to The Press & Journal.

May he rest in Peace and enjoy the passing under the Pearly Gates.

The largest Scottish river pearl found in living history by Bill Abernethy (the Abernethy Pearl or 'Little Willie') is up for auction!

Here is the fascinating background on the pearl (and its pearl fisherman): https://www.lyonandturnbull.com/collection_story/the-abernethy-pearl
I couldn't find the dimensions of the pearl in the article itself but saw elsewhere that it measures 10.5x10.6mm and weighs 10.91 carats (46.3 grains / 2.18 grams).

The estimate is £40-60k (around USD 50-80k).

I hope it goes into a museum collection so that as many people as possible get to enjoy it!

Out of interest, has anyone seen/compared Scottish river (freshwater) pearls vs. Chinese FW, and can tell us their thoughts? :)

1723222199555-png.470596

Attachments

• 1723222199555.png
    1723222199555.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 179
Thanks for this update @Pomelo !
I have recently revisited the info on this pearl and this will be helpful for me :arms:
Where did you find the photo you shared? I want to see if I can get permission to use it.

I do wish the pearl will remain in Scotland and in a Museum for all to admire!
Many years ago I was approached by some Scots that wanted to produce cultured pearls...and I was totally THRILLED. The project could not even have a chance, due to environmental laws & regulations...but it was nice to dream about this. I would have LOVED the challenge and moved back to the Fatherland.

Got the info from the Auction:
the pearl sold for 93,951 British/Sterling Pounds including a buyer's premium.
So, roughly some $123,761 American dollars.

Very well presented to the bidders, not only unique and beautiful but a fleeting reminiscence of a bygone genre. And with its shell!

Douglas, what is your thought about the plausibility of this part of the description:
An interesting tidbit: Given its size, it is believed that the Abernethy Pearl may have been growing in its mussel for over 80 years before Bill found it. To put this into perspective, this pearl may have been created during the reign of Queen Victoria, a famous lover of Scottish river pearls.

(Subsequent to above I refreshed my acquaintance with margaritifera margaritifera and am reminded of its lifespan of up to 150 years. Thus the conjecture appears perfectly reasonable.)

Last edited:
Very well presented to the bidders, not only unique and beautiful but a fleeting reminiscence of a bygone genre. And with its shell!

Douglas, what is your thought about the plausibility of this part of the description:

(Subsequent to above I refreshed my acquaintance with margaritifera margaritifera and am reminded of its lifespan of up to 150 years. Thus the conjecture appears perfectly reasonable.)
Mussels can live for decades...but 80 years seems truly far-fetched to me!
Then the size of the shell...looks very small to me, unlike an "old timer". The longer lived species usually grow to larger sizes or build very thick shells, and I don't see any of these things in the shell that was harvested and gave us "Little Willie".
But who knows! This is a species with which I am only familiarized from books and photos.

Mussels can live for decades...but 80 years seems truly far-fetched to me!
Then the size of the shell...looks very small to me, unlike an "old timer". The longer lived species usually grow to larger sizes or build very thick shells, and I don't see any of these things in the shell that was harvested and gave us "Little Willie".
But who knows! This is a species with which I am only familiarized from books and photos.
Reviewing the scientific literature (in hopes of finding something definitive) the consensus seems to be that maturity of margaritifera margaritifera is 10-12 years with a life expectancy of 75-130 years (and per above I saw something that said 150 years). In the extinction process it is apparent that reproduction fell off dramatically and for many years the average age in the rivers had been skyrocketing.

I am more fascinated by the prospect of a symmetrical pearl maintaining a clean rotation within its pearl sac for so many years without attaching to the (suspiciously young) shell.

So I guess we are left with just accepting this as a natural miracle, as we do pearls in general.

Last edited:
Reviewing the scientific literature (in hopes of finding something definitive) the consensus seems to be that maturity of margaritifera margaritifera is 10-12 years with a life expectancy of 75-130 years (and per above I saw something that said 150 years). In the extinction process it is apparent that reproduction fell off dramatically and for many years the average age in the rivers had been skyrocketing.

I am more fascinated by the prospect of a symmetrical pearl maintaining a clean rotation within its pearl sac for so many years without attaching to the (suspiciously young) shell.

So I guess we are left with just accepting this as a natural miracle, as we do pearls in general.
I LOVE it: It's a Miracle...Pearls are just small miracles so we never forget they exist.

Back