Restring Pearls Using Mystery Clasp

Why did I take this job!? I can figure anything out in restringing pearls...but not this 'cotton pickin' mystery clasp. The pearls with the clasp have been soaking in Rio Pearl Remover for 2 days and no luck. The gold clasp will not come out of the pearls. I have drilled the silk cord out of the beads...but that is as far as it goes. Please let me know if there are any other techniques.
Thank you, Margaret

I don't know how to help, but you have my utmost sympathy. Thanks for sharing - I'm sure everyone else will appreciate the warning. In the meantime, someone may come up with an answer. ;)

Good luck,
Blaire

I have rethreaded on these clasps many times, some of the clasps are more pearl threader friendly than others.

Some of these where designed by Escher in collaboration with Houdini - and you really need to know the "trick" of that design - and therein lies the million dollar question.

These types of jobs I always charged at a premium - I usually send the clasp to a jeweller to dimantle first as I know my own limitations.

Some of these clasps if dismantled incorrectly - can set you back time and money.

Sorry cant be more help then this - there isnt really a quick fix.

I have rethreaded on these clasps many times, some of the clasps are more pearl threader friendly than others.

Some of these where designed by Escher in collaboration with Houdini - and you really need to know the "trick" of that design - and therein lies the million dollar question.

These types of jobs I always charged at a premium - I usually send the clasp to a jeweller to dismantle first as I know my own limitations.

QUOTE]

You can see why Bernadette is my pearl Guru... she has seen it all before, and has magic fingers. All this, in addition to an amazing control of colour, and a wicked sense of humour.

Thanks for the alert on these clasps. I've not encountered one yet but am now ready to run in the other direction if one comes anywhere near me!

UNCLE!!! The mystery clasp pearls are being shipped to The Pearl Outlet. It was suggested by the folks at The Pearl Outlet that I should place the pearls with the clasp in them into a microwave safe container with plenty of water to cover the pearls and hit the microwave for 3 minutes, until the water is boiling and that should release the mystery clasp. Nope! Did not work. Tried that 5 times. So if TPO can't release the clasp from the pearl then the customer will have to purchase new pearls and have new mystery clasp inserted into the pearl. This time with a glue that will release with a hot tub.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Thanks Margaret for letting us in on your problem. At least we'll be able to make an informed decision because of you. Good Luck! ;)

Back