Recent Ebay buys

Pearlcat

Under the "Pearl Mail" thread (see https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/cultured-pearls/3615-pearl-mail-2.html for pictures) I said I was waiting for items I ordered from LEI FAMILY JEWELRY-2.

This was my first buy from them and I have to say I'm really pleased with my what I received. The first item arrived 14 days after it was ordered, the second 12 days after ordered. Their communication was terrific. I was impressed that the pearls were actually the size they said they were. (I have found that even with reputable seller the size I receive is usually smaller than what was stated.) The colors and shapes are consistent with the listing pictures. There are are almost no blemishes. In terms of price, their shipping tends to be high with the buying prices low so averaging the two out what I paid is probably consistent with what I would pay at a gem show.

That being said, there are definitely some English translation problems with their listings. So if you choose to look at their e-bay store and are trying to search within it, hopefully the following will help:

barpque = baroque
far away color = mixed color
stoned = nucleated
regeneration pearl = keshi
thick-skinned = thick nacre
drip pearl = drop pearl
weird == probably baroque or potato
bread = button

I also purchased some keshi strands from youpearl.com, my first from them. I'm happy with those as well. Those strands can be seen in the last picture.

Kate

Attachments

• Multis.jpg
    Multis.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Multi2.jpg
    Multi2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 59
  • Peacock.jpg
    Peacock.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Keshi.jpg
    Keshi.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 63
I love your translations lol and especially LOVE those fiery keishis! The black ones are very pretty too.

i just ordered some 10mm black rounds from them yesterday...hope mine are as pretty as yours!! thanks for the post.

And I just ordered some 12-15mm pink FW klonks! We're keeping them busy... We'll have to compare notes once our goodies arrive.

Sheri

I used to buy both loose strands and finished pieces from these guys. They aren't too bad at all... and they are reliable.

Hi Pearlcat and all other members,

their way to describe the shapes of the pearls used to amuse me as they just said: see picture...

The problem I had over here was with the customs because Lilei gave a rather low value on the parcel, which our customs did not believe in and so I had to send papers to them that stated the prices and then of course, voila - I had to pay about another 30% in taxes and fees - so I have not bought for a long while, since together with shipping it cost me a lot. Otherwise I too think they are reliable as sellers.

Congratulations on your pearls. They certainly do look fine.

Last edited:
Pearlcat, can you provide a link or PM the black round strand auction? I would like to order the same thing! Thanks.

Wow. Those black rounds look better in your picture than theirs. I should be getting my parcel today from them. I hope they are as good as yours.

Elisa, Maryd, and Sheri -- please post pictures when you get your pearls:)

Jerin -- I could see how the additional cost that customs charged would not make buying from this seller not worth your while. If I had to pay 30% more it would basically kill the "bargain factor" for me and I wouldn't buy either.

Mst -- Here is a link to what looks like the same ones that I ordered: http://cgi.ebay.com/5-strs-AAA-7mm-...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:1|293:3|294:30

I have to say, though, that the pearls appear black in the picture then they actually are. They actually seem to more of a mixed-color black with some being more blue, others, aqua, brown, etc. That being said, I would purchase them again in a heart beat.

I'm supposed to be going to the Intergem show in Virginia this weekend and I'm getting sick! Could this be sign from above not to go because I'm spending too much on pearls, my new hobby? Nahhhhhh. Seriously, I've been looking forward to the show for months and will be really bummed if I have to call off the trip and my non-refundable tickets:(

here are the ones I got. They are not black, they are actually "shallow peacock blue" :) :)

I ordered from them approx 3-4 years ago. Items were ok. Glad you all are getting great pearls! I am surprised they are still getting away with charging such high shipping! They can avoid paying ebay fees by making a profit on the shipping, plus who would return an item when high shipping fees are not refunded! ;) Hardly worthwhile!! Just my opinion------

How much was shipping? I tried to look up her policy on ebay but I got a little confused. It says:

"We shipping to worldwide!
The shipping included handling,We usual shipping by air mail. This it the default shipping method as your know our price is very low. There are cann't cover productions cost at these price. we usual reduce $3(or 1.5GBP) for each add item if you order two or more items once .If you order multi items please let me know when you are going to check out . we will send combine invoice to you. if you need other shipping method please contact us before your payment..

BY EMS: (for ship to U.S.A; Canada;Germany.Sweden. France U.K; Australia Asia )
1. without extra add cost for EMS if these are over 1500Gin weight of order items;
2. add $25 for one parcel if there are less than 1500G in weight of order items;
3. add $20 for one parcel if there are less than 1500G in weight of order items (for ship to Australia).":confused:

I am surprised they are still getting away with charging such high shipping! They can avoid paying ebay fees by making a profit on the shipping, plus who would return an item when high shipping fees are not refunded!

Aha! I knew there had to be a reason for the high shipping and low prices.

I did find that if you buy multiples of the same item they don't increase the shipping rate. So you can get some deals that way.

Here are my pearls from the same vendor.

The first are 11mm light peacock blues. These are my least favorite as they are quite eggy and the surfaces aren't as clean as I would like.

IMG_0497.jpg

The second are some keishi also around 11mm. There are some great colors here but some pearls aren't perfect. It will take multiple strands to create a necklace. But the price was still good enough to make it worth it.

IMG_0504.jpg

Last ones are my favorite. 14mm natural color coins. (bronze/cream/lavendar) They were also the cheapest of the bunch.

IMG_0506.jpg

Overall I would buy from them again. It took about 2 1/2 weeks to receive them and the prices were MUCH better than what I can get at a gem show in Houston for the same quality.

Last edited:
Pattye I can see your point about shipping. Some of their lots include shipping while others don't. I guess I look at the overall price to determine if I think it's worth it. I've never returned anything I bought off of ebay, mostly because I'm too lazy to pack it up and send it back! (Probably why I don't sell more on ebay too!) I just wish John Tu had a store -- I'd be there all the time:p

Pearlcat,

I think you are using common sense in checking the overall price. Some buy and bid without ever considering both parts. Knowing there will likely be some pearls culled out also and buying extra strands to compensate is wise. I see some of Lei's high end pearls have free shipping!

When dealing with a seller I already know and like, I really try to get the free EMS most Chinese pearl vendors offer for >$100 purchases on eBay. Different sellers have different stipulations for earning it. If one is going to sell the end product, the shipping has to go into the price per pearl breakdown and can really mess pricing up on components purchased in small lots.

Jerin, do you think Sweden's customs controls are pretty aggressive? I'm curious if any Americans here have been charged import fees. My number will surely be up someday if I keep buying from other countries frequently, but I even imported one of the first DSlites sent to the US years back and incurred no customs fees... despite a completely honest customs declaration. US customs may just be overwhelmed looking for parcels that are glowing, ticking or powdery?

I don?t know for sure but it certainly has happened to me almost every time I ordered something that then came via Hongkong or China and had the originating country saying "CN". Otherwise I think it may depend on how much they have to do. But with chinese items I never have been lucky.

Thought I'd post some photos, now that a few things have come in. FW "klonks" 12-15mm, plus some keshis (or, as they described them, "reincarnate" pearls:D). I'm quite happy with the quality - exactly as represented/photographed. In my opinion, good value for the price, even taking into account shipping charges. Of course, pearls in the "12-15mm" strands are mostly about 13mm, but that was evident from the photos on the ebay listings.

Still waiting for my "primordial pearls":eek:... And with regard to those, the seller nicely emailed me after the close of the auction to let me know that the pearls were 1mm smaller than the listing, and asking me if I still wanted them. I do appreciate this honesty. I mentioned that if they threw in a strand from another lot (for which asking price was around $10, but with added shipping of about $20) for free, that would make me happy, and they agreed! So, I have only good things to say about this ebay seller so far...

Sheri

Attachments

• HPIM2746.jpg
    HPIM2746.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 70
  • HPIM2748.jpg
    HPIM2748.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 77
  • HPIM2750.jpg
    HPIM2750.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 71
Back