Real?? Please help

Shalena

Hi there! I inherited my grandmothers jewelry and she lived overseas for many years and most all of her jewelry has been of very high quality. I came across a plethora of pearls but these seem interesting. They do feel real by in my teeth, they don’t seem to have any identification like markings on clasp. They reflect a pinkish brown under the UV light and are pretty large. I’d appreciate any information!
664D994E-38DD-423E-9B59-FAD1E220F9EE.jpg
91C69EE4-054F-477A-9B71-DE8CA8FAF1CA.jpg
16D6AFE1-FDD6-4F84-9177-D091E0D01656.jpg
1B328AF8-0A9E-4762-A7E4-68E5AC203A70.jpg
3E6FCDF2-1769-49D2-8955-415664B34212.jpg

These are imitation pearls, unfortunately. Hopefully some of the others are some rare finds though!

They look like imitations of baroque freshwater pearls, based on shapes and colors.
• The luster is more satin than we generally see with FWP, and it's very uniform. It looks like a surface coating rather than a deep luster.
• The drill holes are quite large. Real pearls usually have small drill holes to preserve weight, as pearls are sold by weight. The knots are large to compensate for the large holes.
• The non-precious metal clasp is what you would expect with an imitation strand.

It looks like a fun piece with evident sentimental value, so enjoy wearing it anyway. :)

They look like imitations of baroque freshwater pearls, based on shapes and colors.
• The luster is more satin than we generally see with FWP, and it's very uniform. It looks like a surface coating rather than a deep luster.
• The drill holes are quite large. Real pearls usually have small drill holes to preserve weight, as pearls are sold by weight. The knots are large to compensate for the large holes.
• The non-precious metal clasp is what you would expect with an imitation strand.

It looks like a fun piece with evident sentimental value, so enjoy wearing it anyway. :)

Thank you Pearl Dreams for commenting on what observations you have that show they are imitation pearls. I have a LOT to learn and posts like yours are so helpful. I have started a document for myself to keep such postings and many other insightful comments in a single place to help me acquire some of the wisdom and experience of others here on PG. Reading the books is great and so is the CPAA course; but these really add to those sources. Perhaps, "Pearls of Pearl-Guide Wisdom" if you will. :)
Linda

:) mrs.adm.

I just want to add one thing for Shalena. Look at the pearls under a jeweler's loupe (pronounced loop), which is a 10x magnifier. If you don't own one, take the pearls to a jewelry store and ask if you can use their loupe to look at the pearls.

At 10x magnification, genuine pearl nacre looks smooth, while imitation pearl coating look coarse. Even good quality imitations look coarse under a loupe. If you still aren't sure, compare what you see when looking at your pearls under a loupe with another strand that you know to be fake, or know to be real.

:) mrs.adm.

I just want to add one thing for Shalena. Look at the pearls under a jeweler's loupe (pronounced loop), which is a 10x magnifier. If you don't own one, take the pearls to a jewelry store and ask if you can use their loupe to look at the pearls.

At 10x magnification, genuine pearl nacre looks smooth, while imitation pearl coating look coarse. Even good quality imitations look coarse under a loupe. If you still aren't sure, compare what you see when looking at your pearls under a loupe with another strand that you know to be fake, or know to be real.

Great suggestion Pearl Dreams, I will do exactly that. I have a 10x loupe and some fake pearls I have from a long ago purchase (way before I could afford the real thing). This will be great to know the difference.

I inherited a necklace from my grandmother that she told me was made of ivory and was a valuable piece. It's been stored as I didn't like it enough to wear. Then when ebay came along, I looked around and realized it was made from bone and worth only about $30. At least grandmother liked it and valued it in her day.

Back