Question About Pteria Sterna

drorient

Hi how are you?
Seems this forum website has a lot of passion in pearls, and I am really touched and proud of it.
By the way I would like to ask that I am thinking about to culture Pteria Sterna in Indonesia, and to do it maybe the only way to do it by getting the shell/spat from Mexico maybe?

Is somebody know about this or can help with this?

Thanks,
Dr Orient.

My recommendation whenever someone is talking about species introduction is: first READ & UNDERSTAND the environmental risks involved in such a thing.
Indonesia should have some populations of Pteria penguin, amongst other species of genus Pteria, and these would be good to start a pearl farming operation. Best to always use your own native species.
Besides: this species is longer lived and grows larger than P. sterna, should be able to produce larger pearls. If you have a breeding program you can also select to produce more colorful shells.

We have checked some of the pteria penguin and seems most of them come with yellow to golden color. Thus we I am interested to cultivated something that can produce rainbow color pearl.

We have some pinctada margaritifera as well but many come with silver and light color.

I just hope if i can make something different here as 100% of farm here focus on pinctada maxima to produce southsea.

Back