Quahog pearl found in bowll of steamers

captrich

I have a 3.5 carat quahog pearl that was found while eating dinner. It has deep purple color and a perfect round shape. What would be the value of a quahog pearl this size?

This deep purple color pearl was found in clam from Atlantic Ocean in NJ. Can someone tell me more about it ? I didn't realize they are rare until researching Quahog pearls.

Attachments

• 082112120533.jpg
    082112120533.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 70
It was found in steamed clams? Quahog pearls are very sensitive to heat. They get mushy inside the skin which can crack like an egg.

It is a very dark one though it looks blue in the photo. Assuming it is not steamed, the value is still hard to guess.

I am "watching" one on Ebay. They want about 7k for it and it is not moving. It has been relisted numerous times, so far. I am sure it will never sell. they say it is 5 or so carats but don't give the mm dimensions! The price is well over 1k per carat, which I think is ridiculous, the seller just wants to list it, not sell it.

These pearls are scarce which is why the prices are high, but they are practically all listed as prices higher than good diamonds, and these pearls are very fragile. I would never put one in a ring, for instance. One guy who put up pix here had one from a grandparent and it was kept in a tiny bottle which was worn on a chain. Now that is one quahog pearl that is going to last unless the bottle breaks.

There are also some listings here: Same problem, with prices. The ring has been up for years. Obviously, it is not priced to sell. The one that is not available on the above link did not sell; Kari puts a sold sign when it does, do I think the owner decided to keep it as a unique momento. I just checked and she does have some that sold, though she takes the price off, when it does. If you want to sell it, contact her. I just saw that the quahog ring she has up- 9carats It has been reduced to 5K- about $500 a carat. I still think that is way too high for such a fragile pearl.

That being said, there really isn't enough of a market to tell you a price that it will sell at. People has been showing us quahog pearls since the first year this site was open, and as far as I know not one of them has sold at the prices asked.

There is no replacement value because it is so unique, no amount of $$ will get you another one like it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice fellas , it was nice of you to take the time and anwser my questions. Selling it would help pay off my fiancee's diamond ring !! But if not , I think a nice penchant with that pearl would look great on her. If anyone wants to make an offer I would consider it , and less than $500 per carat would be ok.

Did you click on the link in the word "here" above. She does sell them for people. There is another very dark one shown. Though some have sold, they move very slowly, so I vote for keeping it. The universe gave you a little present. Were you together when you found the pearl? That would be a priceless memory!

Cooked or not, don't put any holes in it. Get a little cage for it. I heard Pearl Paradise had some cages though I haven't seen them listed on line. You could give them a call and ask. Or maybe google the cages on the net for yourself.

Hi captrich,

please consider this; setting the possibility, that IF you find a buyer to get a certain price for this pearl, aside.

I suggest, dont sell it! Why? Simple because of the very rare event that you actual found this pearl and i agree with Caitlin if you make this pearl into some jewelry ( ring/pendant or so ) it will be always something very special for you, your future wife and eventually you family, which money cant buy !

Think about it!

Well the story is my fiancee and I go to same resturant most times and order their steamers. As they set down the bowl I saw that pearl in a shell and picked it out. I said hey its a pearl and we kept it not knowing they are so rare. I really hope the middle didn't get mushy because of the heat maybe it got up to 210 degrees or whatever water boils at. The outsde is still shinney without any scratches. We probably will make some type of necklace to keep that story going .

This experience has given me a new appreciation for pearls. I spend a lot of time at the Jersey shore where sea gulls are eating clams everyday. Makes you wonder if there's a few pearls lying around the broken shells they leave behind. I will be that crazy looking guy checking shells from now on lol

May I suggest a little gem cage for a pendant? A little wire framework that opens and closes securely. HERE is what a google search just showed me.

Back