prices of blister pearls still attached in shells

dmj

pppp pearl
i was wondering if anyone knows what normal prices are for blister s in shells for the last few weeks i have been trying to buy them everywhere i can only i have no idea how about prices for weird ones like a tigris shell with blister inside and cassis etc

because i cant find any retail of this on the web its very hard to see if i pay a good price or crazy price

SAM_9298.jpgSAM_8969.jpgSAM_9282.jpg

thanks
d

Attachments

• SAM_9276.jpg
    SAM_9276.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 74
Yes. There is no fixed market on the rare stuff. You decide what you want to pay, and bargain. When you have a collection, it is worth what you can get for it.

Are you going to stick to natural pearls? Sea of Cortez pearls has some blisters in pteria sterna shells. I think they would give you a decent price for the cultured, which are uniquely beautiful. And if any natural ones occur, you can find out.

for now natural pearls to start i send a mail to the cortez pearls company today also think its pretty cool having al pearls making shells with blister without blister and with a loose pearl so last 2 months i found cassis abalone tigris and some others hopefully in not to long have them all :) i will post some pictures on the forum soon

its funny how the market is at the moment because there are no roads in some places but they do have computers so everything is available only hard thing is what to pay so i just have to guess a little with that if somebody here has shells with natural blisters attached i am very interested :)

im my study also gemological i never really had teachers talking about natural pearls think thats the reason why i like it so much :)

enlarged view of blister pearls in shell.jpgenlarged view of blister pearls_1.jpgFull view of  oester shell.jpgFull view of Oester shell_2.jpgFull view of Shell.jpg
I have a shell containing 18 pearls ranging in size approx. 2mm-5mm. The images are here. I hope these are real pearls. What about the price, is not known to me exactly, however, the persons who have seen it physically say it is invaluable...

Hi and welcome.
It's interesting but not invaluable in the sense that it is worth many many many ????. For some reason the pearls started in that freshwater mussel have managed to stick themselves to the shell rather than being free of it.
Someone who wanted to make a one-off piece of jewellery would be interested. I reckon they would cut out the pearls and make a pendant perhaps. I've seen quite a few shells like that. One of the regulars at the Hong Kong show has shells similar all around his stand. I cadged one as a show and tell item for my customers. They will be plentiful around freshwater pearl farms

That kind of shell with "failed" pearls still attached was selling for 3 or 4 euros per piece (5 or 6 US dollars) at the last exhibition I attended.
A by product of mass freshwater pearl cultivation.

The shell and pearls look like the ones cultured in China- the natural freshwater pearls do not come in that kind of shell; that is they are of many different species and other kinds of shells, but not that one, which is specific to cultured pearls and it is actually a hybrid shell.

Please correct me, if I am wrong...:)

You are right. They look like cultured pearls that escaped the mantle tissue during growth, except that it looks like the central pearls were added later. Interesting.

Last edited:
I have several hundred natural blisters on shells. Some big, some small, some interesting, some hideous. They don't have much monetary value because they need work to cut or otherwise prepare for finished pieces. Incidental blisters on shells from farms, especially from China are sold by the kilogram or sack load and probably not for much.

Maybe I'll pick some up at the Tucson gem shows. You've got to hand it to the Chinese pearl farmers - they are so resourceful. There is a lot of labor in polishing up those shells and yet they must still make a profit. They constantly try new ways to implant grafts. Who would have thought of using dried mud? :)

I welcome & thank you all for kind scholarly comments & opinions. The shell has been obtained from an island of Andaman & Nicobar (India). As I quoted earlier, I know little about the pearls. Nevertheless, it seems to me that it is a piece of mere collection & I should retain it rather than to fetch a little price. Still I would like to know more about it.

What is it you want to know more about? It's nice that you want to keep it. It is interesting. The shell originated in China, although you may have purchased it from an island of Andaman & Nicobar (India). Unfortunately, we have many stories on this forum of pearl purchases whose origin was misrepresented. I hope you didn't overpay for this shell.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that it is a piece of mere collection & I should retain it rather than to fetch a little price. Still I would like to know more about it.

The earliest known successful commercial freshwater operations took place in Japan in Lake Kasumiguara using the Biwa Pearl Mussel (Hyriopsis schlegeli). Pollution and elevated mean annual temperatures have caused most of the farms in that country to cease operation. For many years, China performed freshwater operations using the Cockscomb Pearl Mussel (Cristaria plicata). This species produced most of what we have come to know as rice crispy pearls. More than a decade ago, China developed a hybrid variation of a combination of Hyriopsis sp. (schlegeli and cummingi). Hybrids are preferred because of their heterosis, which means "evolutionary fitness". This is not to be confused with "genetic superiority", because while their growth and size are accelerated, natural fertility is minimal (if not non-existent), otherwise the environment would be choked out by natural recruitment.

There is a huge difference in the grafting techniques between fresh and sea water. Marine mollusks require a highly specialized grafting process (intragonadal) which is most often proprietary. On the other hand, freshwater mussels are grafted by entry level technicians, although expertise can increase volumes. Freshwater mussels don't have gonads as a singular organ, instead sharing the same space as the mantle skirt in a series of gonoducts leading from the heart. Given the high volume of multiple grafts in each piece, perforation of the mantle skirt is a common occurrence. It can either be caused by oversized incisions by the grafter or the pearl sacs may burst over time as the pearls grow. This causes the pearls to become lodged in the extrapallial space (between the shell and the mantle skirt).

The shell and blisters posted here, are certainly a Chinese hybrid. The "pinto" effect on the nacreous lining also suggests this. This shell has been worked, removing the peristracum, which a proteinaceous layer on the outside of the shell. As Blaire (Gem Geek) alluded, this is a minor value add to a by-product. It gives each piece some value, but certainly not premium or rare by any means.

Natural blisters have a greater value. Daniel (dmj) has done well to add value to his pieces by sourcing them directly from harvesters and adding flair in craftsmanship. Unlike loose pearls which can be measured in carats, blistered shells have no pricing or grading guidelines. Each piece stands on it's own as to size, appearance or quality. Over the years, we've seen some nice pieces done with blisters, whether jewelry, folk art or wall hangings.

Thank you David, that was a masterful, scholarly, yet very understandable explanation!

This is fascinating. I really never thought of blister pearls and what to do with one if found. Cultured pearls that escaped from the mantle tissue. That is intersting. I saw a huge bag of them at a show outside San Jose, Ca. They were selling for approx. 6 USD.

Back