Please help with identifying/authenticating Mikimoto Pearl Necklace!!

Rey

Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone can authenticate a necklace I bought (upon my wife's insistence) that is supposedly vintage Mikimoto. I paid $325 for it at an estate sale and was told that the box and certificate was missing. I have posted pics. It looks like the clamshell logo is not present, although I've read that after World War 2 (1950s) Mikimoto did not include the logo for a period of time. The string is knotted between each pearl, and the size of the pearls are about 7.5mm. Thanks and looking forward to everyone's input.

Rey

Attachments

• WP_20130420_011.jpg
    WP_20130420_011.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 72
  • WP_20130420_007.jpg
    WP_20130420_007.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 75
  • WP_20130421_001.jpg
    WP_20130421_001.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 78
  • WP_20130421_002.jpg
    WP_20130421_002.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 86
  • FD 008
    FD 008
    17.9 KB · Views: 87
If it does not have a Mikimoto clasp, let alone the sales slip, it is not a Mikimoto. Though some sales people mean "akoya" when they say "Mikimoto", it is not an honest sales trick. However, $325 was a reasonable price, especially since it is long.

Nice clasp.

If it does not have a Mikimoto clasp, let alone the sales slip, it is not a Mikimoto. Though some sales people mean "akoya" when they say "Mikimoto", it is not an honest sales trick. However, $325 was a reasonable price, especially since it is long.
Nice clasp.

I totally agree.. without a pearl cert its hard to believe that it is from Mikimoto considering that the prices from them are very much expensive. Judging from the photos i still think its a good buy because the pearls looked so lustrous and still very pretty. =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice clasp.

Caitlin is right, at this point its not a Mikimoto strand and never will be. It may have started its life as a Mikimoto strand but without paperwork, clasp and box its simply a pearl necklace.

Ditto on the clasp, without it, even if they were Mikimoto they aren't anymore. Those clasps are vaulable, recently one was going on ebay for close to what you paid for your necklace. And I do think many people confuse "cultured" with "Mikimoto". Regardless, you have a beautiful strand of pearls and well worth what you paid.

Back