Please help me set some mismatched monster studs! 16.5-7mm Tahitian and WSS

Pomelo

Hello all, please can I ask how you’d set this pair of mismatched monster studs?

Inspired by @BWeaves ’s mismatched pairs, I went shopping for separate single black and white pearls that could form a pair. I wanted 15mm+ and got 16.5mm :devilish:

The details are:
  • Pearls: peacock-ish Tahitian and WSS
  • Size: 16.5-16.7mm
  • Shape: the Tahitian is circle, the WSS is button but with a tail that needs to be ground down
  • The Tahitian is pretty lustrous for its size, the WSS not so much but I was happy to compromise on lustre for a similar size and shape to the Tahitian (which I bought first). Both have some blemishes, with the T being more blemished than the WSS
  • Weight: ~6g each

I’d like to have them set as studs and have these questions if anyone has any experience/suggestions please!
  • How to make them as comfortable as possible? Omega clips?
  • Do I need / should I have a large cup made to cover the “stub” of the Tahitian, especially as there’s a big blemish there? But would that mean the WSS needs a similar cup made so that they both have a large cup from a side profile perspective?
  • Is it advisable to have the earring post slightly higher up rather than dead-centre?

IMG_2070.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg
IMG_1992.jpeg
IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1805.jpeg

Hello all, please can I ask how you’d set this pair of mismatched monster studs?

Inspired by @BWeaves ’s mismatched pairs, I went shopping for separate single black and white pearls that could form a pair. I wanted 15mm+ and got 16.5mm :devilish:

The details are:
  • Pearls: peacock-ish Tahitian and WSS
  • Size: 16.5-16.7mm
  • Shape: the Tahitian is circle, the WSS is button but with a tail that needs to be ground down
  • The Tahitian is pretty lustrous for its size, the WSS not so much but I was happy to compromise on lustre for a similar size and shape to the Tahitian (which I bought first). Both have some blemishes, with the T being more blemished than the WSS
  • Weight: ~6g each

I’d like to have them set as studs and have these questions if anyone has any experience/suggestions please!
  • How to make them as comfortable as possible? Omega clips?
  • Do I need / should I have a large cup made to cover the “stub” of the Tahitian, especially as there’s a big blemish there? But would that mean the WSS needs a similar cup made so that they both have a large cup from a side profile perspective?
  • Is it advisable to have the earring post slightly higher up rather than dead-centre?

View attachment 470165View attachment 470166
View attachment 470167View attachment 470168View attachment 470169
View attachment 470170
Pomelo, you are going to get great advice here. I'm ahead of the clock in Europe at the moment so I'll just bust in and repeat my prior positive impressions regarding your taste and inquisitiveness. Those pearls should look great.

Last edited:
WOWZA, those are huge. And gorgeous. I approve.

My earlobe could never handle a pearl that big, but I think you can. If you're doing a stud, get monster ear nuts for the back. I know in Asia they even have them with an extra bit that goes up towards the top, to keep the stud from drooping. I hope someone here can post what those look like, because I don't know what they're called to google them properly. Alternately, you could use those clear plastic disks and add them to the back of the earring before you put on the ear nut. I'm not a fan of Omega backs. They always hurt my earlobes.

Set in a way that hides their defects: they just look FANTASTIC!

Whoa, those are big and are going to look great on you! I am no help with this as I have never worn any type of earrings that big. I would think you’d maybe want the bottoms smoothed out with large cups covering the back side.

Whoa, those are big and are going to look great on you! I am no help with this as I have never worn any type of earrings that big. I would think you’d maybe want the bottoms smoothed out with large cups covering the back side.
What material for the cups would not add too much additional weight?

Pomelo, you are going to get great advice here. I'm ahead of the clock in Europe at the moment so I'll just bust in and repeat my prior positive impressions regarding your taste and inquisitiveness. Those pearls should look great.
Thank you @SteveM !

WOWZA, those are huge. And gorgeous. I approve.

My earlobe could never handle a pearl that big, but I think you can. If you're doing a stud, get monster ear nuts for the back. I know in Asia they even have them with an extra bit that goes up towards the top, to keep the stud from drooping. I hope someone here can post what those look like, because I don't know what they're called to google them properly. Alternately, you could use those clear plastic disks and add them to the back of the earring before you put on the ear nut. I'm not a fan of Omega backs. They always hurt my earlobes.
Hehe thanks @BWeaves . Omega backs are sometimes uncomfortable for me too so if they’re fancy (fine) jewellery then I get the tension adjusted :)

I do own some anti-droop earring backs, so maybe I can use a simple earring stud post with the anti-droop backs.

Set in a way that hides their defects: they just look FANTASTIC!
Haha I hope the end result is indeed fantastic!

Do you mean to hide the big blemish at the bottom with a cup?

Thanks @jeg, out of interest would the large cup be to hide the blemish or to make the Tahitian look rounded from the side profile?

What material for the cups would not add too much additional weight?
That’s a good point! A big cup and omega backs will add to the weight for sure…

Yes, the backs can be filed down to make for a better fit to the cup and your ear. Suggest you find a pair of cups which are not too heavy. Thinking about the stock I hold, the silver are quite heavy with substantial metal thickness in the cup. You might need to go for gold - which will always be thinner simply because of cost. Or find someone who can make custom cups for you which would be the ideal option.
And yes, drilling slightly above the centre will help counter any drooping, as will big butterflies. Big butterflies will also counterbalance the weight in your lobe and make it more comfortable to wear.

Pomelo, I was thinking more along the lines of pearlescence. Not necessarily to hide the blemishes or round the look, but it looks like the bottom side will need to be filed down to smooth it out, so the cup would cover this area and also make a more consistent fit of both sides against your earlobes.

Yes, the backs can be filed down to make for a better fit to the cup and your ear. Suggest you find a pair of cups which are not too heavy. Thinking about the stock I hold, the silver are quite heavy with substantial metal thickness in the cup. You might need to go for gold - which will always be thinner simply because of cost. Or find someone who can make custom cups for you which would be the ideal option.
And yes, drilling slightly above the centre will help counter any drooping, as will big butterflies. Big butterflies will also counterbalance the weight in your lobe and make it more comfortable to wear.
Thank you, that’s so helpful @pearlescence !
Please can I pick your brain further - any preference for a stud/pin vs omega backs?

Pomelo, I was thinking more along the lines of pearlescence. Not necessarily to hide the blemishes or round the look, but it looks like the bottom side will need to be filed down to smooth it out, so the cup would cover this area and also make a more consistent fit of both sides against your earlobes.
Thanks @jeg !

I went to Hongqiao pearl market in Beijing today and one of the vendors (who sold me my very first strand) helped me make the studs.

In summary, I decided to go for:
1. Simple studs rather than omega backs, and will be using large anti-droop earring backs (I don’t know the actual terminology for them!)
2. Large 18k WG cups
3. The drill holes are also higher to prevent droop (thank you @pearlescence for the wisdom)

The process was fairly straightforward for those interested:
1. Grind down the tail on the WSS - this revealed a black “line” and the vendor said this is part of normal growth/sometimes dirt or debris can get inside the pearl. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this?
2. Mark on drill holes and drill
3. Stick on cups
4. Bend the ear pins so that it’s perpendicular to the front-facing position of the pearl

Here are the results! I know they’re not a perfect match from a shape perspective but I think it’s close enough ;)

One thing: they are heavy though! These can only be occasion studs rather than all day everyday studs, but I knew that when I bought the pearls. The Tahitian is 6.0g and the WSS 6.15g, for a total of 12g for the pair (the 18k pins added 0.15g per stud).

IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_2271.jpeg

IMG_2371.jpeg
IMG_2376.jpeg

IMG_2374.jpeg
IMG_2321.jpeg
IMG_2363.jpeg
IMG_2314.jpeg
IMG_2315.jpeg

WOWZA! They look great! But the weight! If you wear them out, make sure to bring a little velvet lined box or pouch with you, so you can take them off when they get too heavy.

I went to Hongqiao pearl market in Beijing today and one of the vendors (who sold me my very first strand) helped me make the studs.

In summary, I decided to go for:
1. Simple studs rather than omega backs, and will be using large anti-droop earring backs (I don’t know the actual terminology for them!)
2. Large 18k WG cups
3. The drill holes are also higher to prevent droop (thank you @pearlescence for the wisdom)

The process was fairly straightforward for those interested:
1. Grind down the tail on the WSS - this revealed a black “line” and the vendor said this is part of normal growth/sometimes dirt or debris can get inside the pearl. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this?
2. Mark on drill holes and drill
3. Stick on cups
4. Bend the ear pins so that it’s perpendicular to the front-facing position of the pearl

Here are the results! I know they’re not a perfect match from a shape perspective but I think it’s close enough ;)

One thing: they are heavy though! These can only be occasion studs rather than all day everyday studs, but I knew that when I bought the pearls. The Tahitian is 6.0g and the WSS 6.15g, for a total of 12g for the pair (the 18k pins added 0.15g per stud).

View attachment 470267View attachment 470268
View attachment 470270View attachment 470269
View attachment 470272View attachment 470273View attachment 470274View attachment 470275View attachment 470276
I think they look LOVELY on you...they work really well!

WOWZA! They look great! But the weight! If you wear them out, make sure to bring a little velvet lined box or pouch with you, so you can take them off when they get too heavy.
Thank you! Great idea to bring a little box/pouch :) To be honest, the biggest risk is the baby snatching them off my ears :ROFLMAO:

I think they look LOVELY on you...they work really well!
Thanks!

I’ve heard lots of people say that darker pearls look smaller, so it’s okay to have a larger Tahitian and a smaller white pearl as a mismatched set.

In the name of science (ha!), I wanted to unscientifically test this out because when I hold the pearls on my fingers they look equally large.

My observation is that it depends on the background: against a white/light background the pearls look the same size, but against a darker background the Tahitian indeed looks smaller.

IMG_2378.jpeg
IMG_2379.jpeg

Gorgeous on you! Thanks for sharing the process, it was very interesting.
Thank you! I got some great advice here :)

What a great result! Congratulations!
Thanks!

They look fabulous on you, and I’m glad you were able to find a solution that worked so nicely!
Thanks! I haven’t worn them for more than an hour at a time yet, hoping it works well for a longer period of time!

Wow! I love the size of them! They look amazing on you, Pomelo!
Thank you!

Back