Pearls and Cosmetics

veronicar82

Hello everyone!

I wanted to ask a question that has bothered me for some time. I know you are to keep pearls away from cosmetics as much as possible, but I find it impossible to truly keep them 100% away. My biggest concern is for pearl necklaces- I put moisturizer on my neck/chest every morning and while I do give it time to absorb before putting my pearls on, the pearls still do come in contact with some amount of moisturizer residue left on the skin. My question is- are all cosmetics bad for pearls or just some?

Good question! I think it would depend on the ingredients in your moisturizer, since I know I’ve seen the advice on this forum that you can rub your pearls with a small amount of mineral oil. But regardless I would do your best to avoid getting anything on your pearls, and making sure you wipe them down after each wear to remove any residue. You could also consider getting some everyday freshwater pearls and keeping your nicer strands for more occasional use. Freshwater pearls are very affordable, come in lots of shapes and colors and are often solid nacre which means they will last a long time. Hope this helps!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to ask a question that has bothered me for some time. I know you are to keep pearls away from cosmetics as much as possible, but I find it impossible to truly keep them 100% away. My biggest concern is for pearl necklaces- I put moisturizer on my neck/chest every morning and while I do give it time to absorb before putting my pearls on, the pearls still do come in contact with some amount of moisturizer residue left on the skin. My question is- are all cosmetics bad for pearls or just some?
Pearls are for wearing, no matter what their value. I wear my cheaper pearls AND my expensive pearls equally. After wall, what are you saving them for? I agree with @treasurefixation and you:
However, be sure to let your moisturizer sink in as much as possible, and then consider wiping your neck with a microfiber or dry washcloth before putting on your pearls. When taking them off at the end of the day, ALWAYS wipe down your pearls (gently so as not to pull the knots too much) to clean your pearls before putting them away each evening. Consider how much you will SWEAT...some people on this thread have posted that they wear single pearls on gold/metal necklaces or leather during the hotter months. I tend to wear full strands when I will be in air conditioned environments and pendants with chains when I know I'll be exposed to hotter temps. I have, in the past, taken off my pearls when I find the temps are getting too hot. I keep a pouch in my purse for this reason. It is the salt in your sweat that can dull and even damage pearls. Just use good judgement.

When the pearls start looking dull or the threads/silk are stretched, you can have them restrung. I string my own pearls and always clean the strand before restringing.

Most of all, ENJOY WEARING THEM! If you're like me, people will look at your pearls every day to see what you're wearing and they enjoy them too.

I would say: just be mindful of the product you use on your skin...avoiding those that are ACIDIC in nature...those would be the harshest on pearls.
Most -if not all- perfumes are acidic.
But of course: if you apply on the skin and allow for some minutes "sitting" the perfume will interact with your skin and lose its acidity, then you can wear the pearls. I believe this should suffice.
And of course! After wearing the pearls...just use a clean, damp cloth to wipe off any grime after wearing them.

Back