Pearl retail market in USA today

C

CLICLASP

Hello PG

Not sure it is the right place, but how is the retail market in the States today?
From where I am, we talk a lot about subprimes problems and consequences.
Can someone make a small statement about pearl selling in USA at the moment?

Well , should I go to NY this fall :rolleyes:

many thanks

You may be asking the wrong question. Perhaps you should ask "what happens if you don't go?" The other thing you may consider is your timing. If you are expecting dramatic results with huge sales, you may be looking at things unrealistically for the moment. After the election would probably give you better results more so than going before the election. Either way, the election will have an effect on how things shake out.

Overall, the pearl market is slower this year than last year in both retail brick-and-mortar as well as online. The rumors I've been hearing is that brick-and-mortar is down 20% to 40% for pearls this year.

Overall, the pearl market is slower this year than last year in both retail brick-and-mortar as well as online. The rumors I've been hearing is that brick-and-mortar is down 20% to 40% for pearls this year.
Good time to jump in maybe. Things can only get better.:p

Last edited:
Since our U.S. dollar is so weak, it seems like a good time for you to come and buy pearls, instead of sell. If you have wholesale documentation, NYC has great places to shop for pearls.:D Before you come, let me know and I'll give you a list of places to go to.

Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to you all,
You have been very helpful
Good to feel your support thousands of miles away from here.
I shall let you know when I fly there.
Kindest regards from Paris

Ana, if I can be nosey, why your question? Are you considering going into a different business or are you anticipating expanding your current product sellers? Your question could be taken in a number of ways, so I'm not sure. Again, just curious.

First of all, I would like to have another point of view of what happen in the USA that the one given by the local media here.
The subprimes crisis looks like a social tsunami seen from here, is it?

Anyway, I like travelling and having worlwide contacts, so I was wondering about having jewelry commercial contacts in NY for my french versatile jewelry?

Does it answer your question?

But Terry answered my question
"down 20% to 40% for pearls this year" , unfortunatly.

Yes, I didn't think you were going to branch out. Contacts are always a good thing regardless of the market. I still think the election is having a stagnating effect on the economy now. It's a wait and see philosophy. After the election, the dam will break. Always does regardless of who wins. Good luck!

I think the sub-prime issue is over-blown (less than 2% of loans are in foreclosure), though just the news of it affects the economy here. As knotty panda pointed out, the economy is ALWAYS affected in a negative way during an election year, and will pick up next year no matter who is elected.

Hello PG members,

I would be very interested in having an update of today's market, referring to the trouble of world financial crisis.
How is the pearl business at the time being?

For what I am concerned, I used to have overseas customers, who no longer order for a while.
Is the market hit or not on your side? in what extend? on line and off line BnM ?

thanks a lot

I don’t see the pearl market in the light portrayed in this thread. Pearls represent a real value this holiday season in comparison to gold and diamonds. The large volume retailers have turned to pearls as a high perceived value item to promote this holiday season. Most of the product is fashion freshwater pearl sets at $100 price point and under.

These retailers couldn’t promote their traditional fair of diamond pendants at this price points. Therefore I foresee a strong pearl season.

I think the sub-prime issue is over-blown (less than 2% of loans are in foreclosure), though just the news of it affects the economy here. As knotty panda pointed out, the economy is ALWAYS affected in a negative way during an election year, and will pick up next year no matter who is elected.

Oops!

The primary difference we have felt recently is in the average ticket values. Volume has been up substantially but value has dropped significantly.

freshwater earrings: cheap way to indulge in satsifying retail therapy :)
add pearls to the list of countercyclical assets... along with canned soup, prostitution, and tasers.

From aen European buyer?s point of view it does not matter if there is an election in the US or not: the financial difficulties there and our resulting financial problems over here with a lot of larger banks involved is hitting us right now with a lot of laid off people and the dollar has gone from 5:96 to 7:82 in such a short time, it is quite staggering (the course given is for Swedish Crowns) so for me personally there will be no buying from the US for some time to come - the Euro has been stronger too but our native money gets weaker all the time... I am very sorry to see this happen, I would love to buy some more pearls but as it is now, there is no way I can manage it and probably many others find themselves in the same pickle... Biggest problem will be unemployment and little economical growth as the consumers are getting a lot more careful before spending money.

OverallI believe we will very soon see the same happen in other countries as well, let?s hope our vendors can make it through these difficult times and that we buyers can come back again very soon.

I was in HK last month. And I just got back from China. Most of the vendors I have talked to claim that sales are half of last years numbers. I don't have the numbers but I would imagine the this is across the board. There is cash out there but people are worried about what other bad news might be coming around the corner. This lack of confidence is a bigger drag on world economies then anything solid I can point to. There was a housing boom that was too hot. Oil prices were taking their toll. Now oil prices are down to $67 a bll. This is a market confidence issue.
Maybe the 24 hour doom and gloom press we have today doesn't help. They report the worst case stories they can find and it has an effect. Reading back on earlier comments in this thread before the recent crash points to some of this. Take Terry's comment on foreclosures. They weren't as out of the norm as the reporting would have made it seem.
I have been operating under the idea that there is a intrinsic value to the stocks being traded. And that that would be the floor. But the fear factor is what is scary. People dumping their investments because they are afraid of losing all. When in fact they have lost by pulling out. We could sure do with some FDR fireside chats right about now from some leadership that people respect. Or else maybe turn off the news....

I know at least one yank who has been buying pearls. But then I'm optimistic to a fault.

Ha, Mikeyy the optimist! I will let you know how my sales go over the next few weeks. I have a huge calendar of markets and fairs in the lead up to the Christmas season, and usually have a good idea of how I will do at particular fairs... this all gets underway as of tomorrow evening, and I will be interested to see how sales are affected. My prediction? Like Jeremy- lower $$/sale, but volume still high.... let's see.

The housing market has defo stalled and even collapsed here because there is no mortgage lending unless you have a huge deposit. That means that estate agents, surveyors, builders, builder's merchants, the makers of bricks etc etc are dropping like flies.
The governor of the Bank of England says we are about to be in recession, so does the Prime Minister Mr financial genius Gordon Brown (HA!)
Iceland the country is just about bankrupt (and their banks held a lot of british dosh, which is knocking on to local councils, police, as well as individuals)...

The housing market has defo stalled and even collapsed here because there is no mortgage lending unless you have a huge deposit. That means that estate agents, surveyors, builders, builder's merchants, the makers of bricks etc etc are dropping like flies.
The governor of the Bank of England says we are about to be in recession, so does the Prime Minister Mr financial genius Gordon Brown (HA!)
Iceland the country is just about bankrupt (and their banks held a lot of british dosh, which is knocking on to local councils, police, as well as individuals)...
It would be nice if some of these "Financial Experts" Were expert before things were obvious. :rolleyes:

Back