Pearl Neclace & earring set??

JadeH86

Hi Guys,

I have inherited a pearl necklace & earring set from my grandmother...
The necklace is a single strand of pearls - 96 pearls - 8-9mm in diameter & threaded with a knot between each pearl. The clasp is 14k gold and set with what im guessing is a jade stone...which is the reason i inherited the piece...my name is Jade!!! The clasp is quite unusual in the way it fastens, you have to push down a small tab and it sort of slides apart?? The pearls are a lovely creamy/white colour and are mostly rounded although some of the pearls are abit mis-shapen as in not round??!!!

I have had the necklace looked at but not valued by a local jewellers and have been told the pearls are real. My nan purchased the set in hong kong quite afew years ago...im guessing about 20-30 years ago. They came to me in a red silk purse with a japanese/chinese design stitched into it. im only about 60% sure this is the original packaging. We have hunted her house high and low for any paperwork regarding the pearls but have had no joy. I have even looked up the name printed inside the silk purse and the business building in hong kong no longer exists...which is not a problem as i didnt expect it to possibly still be running after all these years!!!???

I am going to try posting some pictures to go with this thread so please look out for them and if anybody can give me an opinion or any facts about the necklace i would love to hear it.

Thanks x

Cool! Please include a close-up of a few of the pearls (use a macro or close focus setting) and of the clasp front and back. Pearls are hard to photograph but I usually find I do okay indoors near an open door or window, in diffuse light, without the flash.

Try using a paper towel for the background (or some other white surface) rather than a dark background. Luster shows up better against white.

I am looking forward to some photos.

It is hard to tell what pearls they are without pix. Without the p'work, even dates sometimes get moved around, so I won't even hazard the obvious guess.

Welcome, Jade! I love the way you used the phrase "but have had no joy". It took me back to my childhood. I hope you'll have fun here as well as fact finding.

Hi,

Thanks for the replys!! The forum wont let me upload the photos?? (Very stressed face!!!)

Any help is greatly appricated

xx

The 'add photo' box just above this line of type is not working, so Click on "go advanced under the quick reply box. On the advanced tab you can scroll your post down to where it says "manage attachments". Click and follow instructions.

JadeH86's Pearls!!!

JadeH86's Pearls!!!

Hi, I think ive attached them?????

I have afew more, just sending them from my mob to the computer but have a look at these ones & tell me what you think!!

Thanks
x

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 64
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 61
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 60
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 61
JadeH86 - More Pics

JadeH86 - More Pics

More pictures - not sure if there any good to you x

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 67
  • photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 53
  • photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 51
Yes you have! That clasp is unique and beautiful! My humble opinion: those are slightly baroque akoya pearls- a type of cultured pearl mostly from Japan. I hope we hear some agreement-- or disagreement!

Thanks Caitlin,

Its great to finally have an idea of what ive been given!! Im starting to wish i'd asked alot more questions about them when my grandmother was alive (sad face)

Anybody else with an opinion please feel free to post!!!

I have no idea where they uploaded too but Caitlin can tell you where they are as shes seen them!!

More Pics x

More Pics x

Uploaded again for those who cant see them x

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 59
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 57
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 58
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 58
Thanks 4 the info!!

Do we think that the stone in the clasp is Jade??
After doing some research I think it is Chinese Jade
But I'm not an expert or even slightly educated in jewels so
Any help would be very helpful!! Does anybody know what they would
Be worth roughly as I'm now not sure whether I should put them back in my
Jewellery box or think about putting them in my safe...

Thanks again x

Agreed! Wear them, enjoy them! They're beautiful. On my phone they look very round.

Back