Ode à ma Mère

There's professional business attire. There's business casual. And then there's wash the car casual. I'm a computer programmer. My fellow co-irkers think cut-offs, flip-flops and superhero T-shirts are acceptable business attire. Needless to say, I'm WAY over dressed for my office, but they are used to me.

Mom's 9 mm akoya necklace, her SS drops hanging from her diamond loop earrings.

View attachment 49478

Mom's ruby and diamond ring she bought in Greece.

View attachment 49479

View attachment 49480

Tricolor gold bracelets. Mom bought me the one with the diamond pattern decades ago. She bought the zigzag one for herself at the same time. I adore tricolor gold jewelry because I can wear any color metal and it all goes together.

View attachment 49481

My own pink tourmaline ring. I had the stone recut because the table was scratched, and then had the stone reset in this new setting with pink gold and palladium. The palladium "cup" the stone sits in helps to reflect a lot of light back through the stone. The diamonds from the original ring setting went into the The Swan pendant.

View attachment 49482

I'll never be a hand model.
you can hand model for me.....i'd paint you

i love tricolor gold too *(and rose gold*)
you've got a wonderful collection

Argh I love everything! The pearls, tricolour bracelets and tourmalinering! Beautiful collection.

My Mom had a love of baguette diamonds that I never really understood. She also had a lot of earrings that looked like hoops but were really omega back earrings.

IMG_2426.jpg

A two color gold bracelet. The yellow gold links have a bumpy matte finish, and the white gold links are polished smooth and cut to sparkle like diamond baguettes. If you didn't know there were no stones in this bracelet, you'd swear it was encrusted with diamond baguettes. Serious sparkle power.

IMG_2423.jpg

Last edited:
Pearly-Whites posted the Jackie Kennedy quote the other day, so I thought I'd post this minaudière. I'm not sure when Mom bought this. I cannot find a date for when Camrose & Cross made their reproductions.

IMG_2438.jpg

It came in a red velvet bag with a certificate. It's in perfect condition except for a bit of metallic disintegration on a spot on the chain.

IMG_2439.jpg

It has a shoulder chain.

IMG_2440.jpg

Or the chain folds to the inside and you can use it as a clutch. And IT LOOKS LIKE IT"S WOVEN!

IMG_2441.jpg

And Mom's Mom (my Nana) had little white satin purses from the 1920s. I used these in high school, but they are too delicate to use now. I just keep them safe. One has rhinestones and the other has rhinestones and pearls.

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for enjoying the show and tell! I have a biggie for tomorrow.

I'm having Mom's sapphire ring resized. If I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up from the jeweler, then you have to wait with me. Hehehehe!

The jeweler is also doing me a huge favor and fixing the chain La Perlagrina was on when it broke while I was wearing it. She doesn't like to do repairs, but she's being very nice because I also gave her a custom job.
She's remaking my Mom's engagement ring * for me, but that won't be ready for a month. I can't wait.

Anyway, this thread is now forcing me to wear everything at least once.

* I should explain that my mother believed that you married the man, not the ring. She had her original engagement ring (an emerald cut diamond with side baguettes) reset into different settings many times. Part of this was due to her fluctuating weight, and the ring not being able to be resized. Part was just wanting a different setting. Several years ago she decided she wanted a bigger diamond and bought an oval diamond with two round brilliants at the sides. My brother got the original emerald cut diamond in its latest setting. I got the last ring with the oval diamond. It's a plain 3 stone setting that is too small for me. I've had my own engagement ring reset at least 4 times.

Last edited:
I watch this thread every day and enjoy of every photo

Big honking sapphires.

This sapphire was originally in a ring with an explosion of diamond baguettes out of each side. Then Mom found her inner Princess Diana and had the sapphire put into this halo setting with round brilliants. She found a gorgeous green cushion cut tourmaline the same size and shape as this sapphire, and set the green tourmaline in the baguette ring, and it looks gorgeous. Sister got the tourmaline ring.

SoCMabeRing 03s

Matching, sort of, earrings. I don't know why I thought these were lapis, but they are cabochon sapphires and diamonds with omega backs. One of the sapphires has a weak cat's eye effect, but the other sapphire does not.

IMG_2447.jpg

Can you see the cat's eye? It's almost trying to be a star, but just can't make it.

IMG_2450.jpg

On my other hand, my moonstone and sapphire ring. I love this ring so much, that I'm having Mom's 2nd engagement ring diamonds made into a similar setting, because the diamonds are roughly the same size as the moonstone and sapphires.

IMG_2451.jpg

Bracelets. Two sets of tricolor gold bangles. Mom always wore these together.

IMG_2446.jpg

Mom said that the set on the right was gold with diamonds, but I was skeptical. The sparkly bits are actually divots in the gold, and though they do sparkle in bright light, they are not stones. The photo is four times life size on my computer screen, so it's easy to see that the divots are just texture in the gold. In real life, those divots do give the impression of being tiny diamonds.

The set on the left with the hammered surface is inexpensive, according to Mom. The markings say ITALY 545 WI or \V/ or something like that. Is anyone familiar with those markings? 545 would almost imply 14K gold, but I've never seen WI as a marking before.

Last edited:
So glad you are sharing the other pieces as well, BWeaves. It sounded like you might not since they are non-pearly and I meant to speak up and say "Please do! We want to see it all!"

That sapphire is my idea of PERFECT, BWeaves ... incredible! Your moonstone ring is unique and lovely; I look forward to the diamond version.

That sapphire ring is spectacular and very valuable. It comes from a time when sapphires were not heat treated. It has amazing color, a deep beautiful blue, maybe Ceylon? It is my birthstone.

Sapphire is a gemstone variety of the mineral corundum, an aluminium oxide (α-Al2O3). It is typically blue in color, but natural "fancy" sapphires also occur in yellow, purple, orange, and green colors; "parti sapphires" show two or more colors. The only color which sapphire cannot be is red - as red colored corundum is called ruby,[2] another corundum variety. This variety in color is due to trace amounts of elements such as iron, titanium, chromium, copper, or magnesium.

Corundum is a hard and durable stone, second only to diamond (and Moisanite).

I have a love affair with sapphires (and sapphires and pearls are the best combination!) and yours is absolutely spectacular. Wear it in good health and with loving memories. Thank you for sharing this amazing collection!

That sapphire ring is practically royal!
All the bi- and tri-color jewelry is swoon worthy. I much echo Jersey's sentiments about baguettes; when they're good, they're amazing.

Back