Newbie seeking your expert opinion

I Love Pearls

Hello Everyone,

I am a new joiner to this forum and I have recently been possessed with pearls ;)

The pictures show (1) a necklace of 16" consisting of 10-11mm pearls with a 18K gold clasp and (2) a pair of earrings with 11mm pearls set in 18K gold.

I would want to seek your expert opinion as to whether the pearls are South Sea Pearls, their grading and their retail values.

Lastly, you will note from the pictures that rubber rings (instead of knots) are used in the necklace to separate each pearl. Is it uncommon (as I have never seen this method from the online pearl sellers)? Would this affect the value of the necklace?

Many thanks in advance! :eek:

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
I Love Pearls

Attachments

• IMG00359-20110831-1417[1].jpg
    IMG00359-20110831-1417[1].jpg
    17 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG00358-20110831-1417[1].jpg
    IMG00358-20110831-1417[1].jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG00354-20110831-1416[1].jpg
    IMG00354-20110831-1416[1].jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG00352-20110831-1415[1].jpg
    IMG00352-20110831-1415[1].jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG00332-20110829-2145[1].jpg
    IMG00332-20110829-2145[1].jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG00340-20110829-2150[1].jpg
    IMG00340-20110829-2150[1].jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG00344-20110829-2154[1].jpg
    IMG00344-20110829-2154[1].jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

You're asking us to do an appraisal via photos, and to accurately evaluate grade, retail value, etc., and that really cannot be done.

It is unusual that pearls of South Sea quality would be sold with rubber bumpers. I do see the rubber bumper spacers sold here in beading stores. Expensive SS pearls would be individually knotted on silk to finish a strand.

Where did you purchase the pearls? Online or in a store? In the US?

Here is a similar size SS necklace from Pearl Paradise

You may have genuine extremely well matched SS pearls, or very high quality man made pearls, such as Majorica. The reflection on each pearl is so identical I can't be certain.

Did you receive any certificate of authenticity, or retail appraisal with the pearls? Additional info will help us evaluate your new pearls!

Last edited:
Hi Pattye! Nice to meet you here in the forum! Thanks for your prompt reply. :D

Actually I am more concerned about whether these items are authentic SS Pearl and if yes, their grading. I was asking about the retail value simply out of curiosity and I am not expecting expert appraisal here.

I bought these items from a GIA diamond retailer in Hong Kong. He, being a GIA Gemologist, helped me to obtain these items from his supplier, who also wholesale pearls.

There is no certification but the invoice did specify these items are South Sea Pearls. Besides, the pearls feel gritty when I do the tooth test. :p

I used my blackberry to take these pictures which fail to show clearly the variation in the overtone of the pearls. I think the picture no. 1 and the last one still show some variation though.

AS Pattye noted the pearls look extremely well matched and the luster appears very similar on every pearl. Is the surface completely flawless overall? The rubber would make me nervous. But then it mostly depends on how respected the diamond retailer is. GIA courses that lead to a diploma do not equate GIA certification. So, if you know the dealer you are on safer ground.

Hi,

I mostly just want to welcome you to the forum. I am not exactly an expert yet :)

I was wondering, though, if you live somewhere where you could go to a jewelry store that stocks SS pearls and compare them to yours.

My thought when looking at the pictures is that the luster seems to be very high - higher than usual for SS?

- Karin

AS Pattye noted the pearls look extremely well matched and the luster appears very similar on every pearl. Is the surface completely flawless overall? The rubber would make me nervous. But then it mostly depends on how respected the diamond retailer is. GIA courses that lead to a diploma do not equate GIA certification. So, if you know the dealer you are on safer ground.

Thanks, Ramona!:)

The surface are not flawless. They do have blemish and the shape are not the same. And the colour and overtone of the pearls are not the same.

Is it possible for imitation pearls to have blemish and different colour/overtone? Any opinion are much appreciated!

Hi,

I mostly just want to welcome you to the forum. I am not exactly an expert yet :)

I was wondering, though, if you live somewhere where you could go to a jewelry store that stocks SS pearls and compare them to yours.

My thought when looking at the pictures is that the luster seems to be very high - higher than usual for SS?

- Karin

Thanks Karin! :) I really enjoy reading the forum discussions :D

The luster are higher on pictures. I will try to take some more pictures from different background and lighting. Cheers.

The surface are not flawless. They do have blemish and the shape are not the same. And the colour and overtone of the pearls are not the same.

Is it possible for imitation pearls to have blemish and different colour/overtone? Any opinion are much appreciated!

Slight blemishes and differnce in shape sounds promising. I find it very hard to photograph pearls to show what they really look like but to show us more about this pearl strand, it would help if you place them on white kitchen tissue in a flat spiral.

- Karin

Back