Newbie - Need Some Guidance on Gold SS Pearl Purchase

Ping

Hi All, I am so glad to come across this site. I learned a lot in the last couple of days reading through various threads. I am a newbie as far as pearl buying is concerned. I have a freshwater strand from about 15 years ago. I also purchased a 18K yellow gold Tahitian pearl ring last year on vacation. This is the extent of my pearl-buying experience :) I am looking to purchase a gold SS pearl pendant to wear for my daughter's wedding in December. I came across Pearl Paradise, Pearl of Joy, Pearl Source, and Angara from my online search. Since I don't have any knowledge re: pearls and there does not seem to be a standard grading system for pearls, I am a little hesitant to make a purchase online. Are any of these companies reputable? Which one would you recommend? Pearl of Joy and Pearl Source seem to be offering a lot of the same/identical items.

Also, since I have a ring with Tahitian pearl, do you think it will be ok for me to wear a gold SS pearl pendant? Or should I stick with Tahitian pearl pendant to match (p.s. my dress is in emerald green color). I plan to wear a pair of diamond earrings for the event, or is it the right style to also wear a pair of matching pearl earrings?

Any inputs will be very much appreciated.

Hi there Ping.
I can vouch for Pearl Paradise since the owner is a dear friend of mine and I am a customer too! But there are many reputable vendors out there.
I have purchased different varieties of pearls for my fiancé, and she likes to mix-&-unmatch them...so, I guess this is a personal taste thing.
Ask yourself if you would like to wear similar colors or different ones!

Hi Ping and welcome! I think a wedding is a great time for a new pearl pendant; an emerald green dress should look grand with a gold SS pendant, or a Tahitian pendant. Douglas has a good point; do you like to mix and match, or prefer to match your clothing? That might be your guide to which type of pendant to look for. I have bought from several of the companies you mentioned, although not all. From those, given you are still somewhat new to pearl worlds, I couldn't recommend Pearl Paradise more highly ... their customer service is excellent, selection solid, and they'll even look for special pearls, settings, and take extra photos in different lighting, to help you choose what's just right for you! Good luck and have fun :)

@CortezPearls, Thanks for the insights. I really appreciate it. With all the internet scams these days, it is difficult to purchase anything of value online. It is good to hear recommendations from experienced folks like you. Thanks again.

Hi Cathy, thanks so much for the inputs. I am typically conservative in my clothing style, not adventurous with mix and match (simply because I don’t have any talents in styling!). I just feel in love with the gold SS pearls. Also, I much much prefer yellow gold than white gold, and I think for Tahitian pendants, they look better with white gold than yellow gold. This is why I am leaning towards gold SS pearl. I just am not sure if it is ok to mix different types of pearl style wise.

The wonderful thing about pearls is they match by being pearls :) I feel any pearl can go with any pearl. I actually prefer that they aren't too matchy matchy. If you check out the Show Us Your Pearls in Action thread you will see many examples of this.

Pearl Paradise is absolutely trustworthy. There are others too and if you stick to companies or vendors either mentioned in the threads or represented here, you should be good. There are lots of sellers mentioned in the thread I talked about above. Seeing two sites being identical would put me off buying from one of those two. Always make sure there is a good return policy. All the pictures and videos in the world can't compete with seeing a pearl in real life and your own lighting.

Congratulations Ping! You might contact Pearl Paradise as Hisano and Jeremy are heading to the big show in Hong Kong next week. They have been wonderful about looking for special requests in the past. As for SS or Tahitian, either will look great with your dress, so I’d go with whichever pendant you will wear the most after the event. And as far as yellow gold or white gold, I wear a lot of yellow gold and have many Tahitians on yellow gold. I think Tahitians work nicely with any metal color. I do tend to prefer golden SS on yellow gold, but that’s a personal preference. Since I wear any metal color, I find that the color and overtone of a pearl can determine the metal color of the setting.

Last edited:
Hi Jeg, thanks for taking the time to respond. I just talked to Hisano through Zoom today. She was very helpful. I am happy with the experience. She took note of my request and said she would let me know if she seeing anything in Hong Kong that meets what I am looking for (deeper color golden SS). I am keeping my fingers crossed to hear good news from her next week.

Also thanks for the inputs on yellow gold and Tahitians. I love yellow gold (18 kt preferably). A Tahitian pendant in yellow gold is on my list for the next purchase!

I just want to give a quick update to (1) thank everyone for recommending Pearl Paradise, and (2) to share my experience so far for future newbies. I met with Hisano last Thursday and told her what I like. She said she will keep an eye out at the show in HK this week and will let me know if she can find something. I was looking forward to hearing from her, but didn't expect a response until later this week. Much to my surprised, I woke up this morning with an email from her with two pearls that she selected for me to consider. I couldn't believe she is able to find something so quickly on the first day of the show! I am beyond excited as they are the color that I was looking for. I cant wait to get it in a pendant setting (still deciding what setting to go with)....

Back