Newbie ID question on some pretty pearls :-)

Cherstin

Hi, forum! I'm glad to have found you all, and hoping for some advice on a string of pearls I received as a wedding gift. (Yes, the pearls lasted longer than the marriage.) :confused:

I did the "real or fake" tooth test, and seeing as this was my first time trying it, I also compared the feeling to a plastic hangar. Hey, desperate times call for desperate measures, but to me they feel "real." I could feel a slight gritty feeling to them that I didn't feel with the smooth plastic.

The only sentimental value I have for these pearls is the fact that I own them. As a kid, I remember my grandmother wearing pearls and I always thought they were so classy. I've never worn these other than my wedding day because they don't feel like the right length for me. I am now considering either selling them or seeing if they can be made a bit shorter and maybe I can use the extras as earrings, but I don't know if that will diminish the overall value of the collection. That would be my first question. Is it "better" in the long run to keep the necklace as-is?

The clasp is stamped on the inner clasp as 14K. The length of the necklace is 18 inches. The pearls themselves are very tiny. The diameter of the smallest is roughly 2.5mm and the largest is about 5.5mm-6mm. They are very petite.

They really are quite beautiful in my opinion, and now that I've been browsing the photos on the forum, I'm beginning to get attached. I love the research that goes into this, so without further ado, here's what I've got. Any info is appreciated! I can also upload more pictures if that would be more helpful. Thank you!

Invite2IMG 1455 1

That is most likely a freshwater pearl necklace, though it is most unusual to have a freshwater necklace tapered from front to back. The reason I am saying that is that the small pearls look way off round and the luster is rather soft. If they are perfectly round, and it is the lights or photography, it would more like be an akoya pearl necklace.

In any case it is not a brand name, so you may alter it as you wish.

Thank you for the reply! I've been comparing this to others on the forum and on ebay today, and I see what you mean about the shape not being perfectly round. It is more evident in the smaller pearls ... they seem to be more "disk-shaped" as opposed to a perfect circle. (That is what you are referring to, right? I hope I am reading that correctly.)

In any case, thank you for your advice. I think I'll wear them around the house a bit and see if the length grows on me. I take it if their freshwater, they probably wouldn't be worth the $100 appraisal fee to have them looked at by someone locally?

Yes, I mean the flattening can't can't happen if they have a bead in them.

They are very pretty, but not worth the appraisal fee. But maybe someone will disagree with me.....

Hi Cherstin,

And welcome... PG can become a habbit :)

I don't have a fraction of Caitlin's knowledge, but I too notice that especially the smaller pearls are what you would call potato shaped. That is a hallmark of freshwater pearls. It seems that you are free to rearrange them to your liking - which will lead you into more fun PG threads, as you learn to knot etc. :)

- Karin

Thank you, Karin! I'm really enjoying the forum! I'd spoken yesterday with a jeweler friend of mine and I was considering selling this set. He said he doesn't know much about pearls, but I could take it to a pawn shop down the street from his place. Now, I am thinking I might hold on to these and use them as a starting block. I still might hit that pawn shop ... but rather than selling, I'm going to take a look at what they might have to see what else I can add. ;) Thanks again!

Hi Cherstin,

I too am very new to pearls - but your post struck me so I thought I would reply! I have a two sets of similar pearls. One that is "real" (tooth test, yep that little grit gives it away!) and one is fake. The fake one I actually got from my grandmother a long long long time ago and the real one I recently received as a gift from my father. Due to a divorce, I didn't see my dad much growing up and lived mostly with my grandmother. Funny thing is, even though the ones she gave me are fake, they have way more value to me than the real ones. So much so I'm torn on how to present these two pearl sets to my own daughters (very young mind you). My first thought and gut feeling was to give my grandmothers set to my first born - because her middle name is from my grandmother'n name. Even though they were the fake ones, they just mean more to me... I know - weird right?

So your pearls - you received them as a gift for your wedding - but no other attachment to them? I would say remove some of the smaller ones and make yourself some nice earings to match. The pearls have already been matched for color so you wouldn't have to worry about that at all. And pearl necklaces go down to 16 inches all the time - so you have some room to work with if you ever did need to sell them...

Good luck and let us know! I want to see pictures!!! =)

Kristina

I am inclined to think the angle of photography is what is making the pearls look flattened. As Caitlin says, if they are actually round, then they're probably Akoyas.

I also agree with the idea of your shortening the necklace to your preferred length. It doesn't have to be 16" vs. 18"-- the strand could be restrung to 17" if that suits you more.

Back