Need Help With Pearls

mscott41610

I have 2 sets of pearls that I received years back when my great grandmother passed away. I recently found them during a move and have been doing all "at home" tests to verify whether real or fake. The first set I have is pure white, light weight. The second set (in photo) is an off white/pinkish color, and heavier. I did the tooth test, but do not feel much of a difference between the two, although my husband begs to differ. The second strand does not appear to be in uniform, while the first set look "too" perfect. I am assuming these are NOT real either, but figured I would post them to see if anyone could make out by the picture. I will say, the pearls I am posting do have some sort of "paint" (not sure of the word to use), to give them that color, and when I rub them on my teeth, it chips. The clasps in both necklaces are the exact same. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! GEDC0985.jpg

Before doing anything rash, I suggest you take a good look at them with a jeweler's loupe (a 10x magnifier-- every jeweler would have one.) Just go to a local jeweler and ask to look at your pearls through their loupe. And then look at a strand of known-real pearls the jeweler is selling, to compare the surface.

Fake ones have a rough appearance, like orange peel; real ones have a very smooth surface (other than blemishes.)

I have read that REAL ONES have the rough gritty feeling, and FAKE ONES have smooth surfaces...is this not true and what you said is? Thanks to both of you for your responses! :)

Unless it was nacre that chipped away, which is why I suggest going to take them to a jeweler to be sure, especially as the OP's husband disagreed with the tooth test results.

It can't hurt to be sure before making a decision on pearls that belonged to her great grandmother.

Back