Necklace returned - need 4 thread stringing technique please

UHHA64

Hi Everyone,
We have an opera lengh 11-13mm pearl knotted necklace with a clasp
returned by a customer because just over two weeks there are
considerable gaps between the pearls. I need to restring it and from
what I understand the best technique for these kind f pearls would be
the 4 thread.
I've read Sueki, Knotty Panda and Caitlin post https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/lowly-beaders-club/2330-stringing-heavy-pearls-four-threads.html a dozen of times but I don't understand it well enough.
Can someone kindly suggest a step-by-step instruction link or a video
for four 4 thread with a clasp technique?

Thank you very much, Uhha

Hi and welcome
Never mind the method, what material are you using? You might well be better advised to use a different thread rather than a different technique. Those are large and heavy pearls on a longer necklace. I would opt for a nylon or synthetic silk but still use the same method. Caitlin will tell you to use her beloved Powerpro

Hi,
thank you for the prompt reply. I'm proud to join the best pearl forum on the Internet!
We used a synthetic thread for this necklace hoping it would hold it well but it was too heavy even for the synthetic thread. So I figured the solution would be the technique. I will google Powerpro in a min. The additional problem is that the drilled holes are not too big so I hope the 4 thread will work. If anyone has a suggestion on a threading material for this kind of job would be great too.
Thank you, UHHA

Welcome UHHA64!

You've reached the single best site for everything about pearls.

BTW, I am in T-A too.

If you can get POWER PRO, the 30 lb should do fine. It does not stretch
at all and you will only need the doubled thread.

I have strung pearls larger than yours on 20 lb Powerpro if I can't get 30 lb. Doubled, it takes more than 40 lbs of pressure to break it. Human hands can't do it. It is perfect for klonks (pearls over 12mm) In fact, some 15mm fw pearls were what sent me looking for thread that won't stretch in the first place!

Try the 20 lb. If the holes are small, it will work great. It is a tube and makes very tidy knots

Hi Caitlin,

PowerPro sounds very promising and I will definately use it for similar projects in the future. Thank you for the great advice.

Israeli members - any idea where I can get PowerPro in Israel? A trusted online store I can order it from - anyone?

At the meantime, I doubt it I can get my hands on PowerPro quick enough and I need to restring ASAP. My only alternative for now is a technique, 4 THREAD STRINGING TECHNIQUE intstruction, please!

UHHA

Power Pro was originally sold as fishing line. It is available at all fishing tackle places so look for it there, though it may not have white, just moss green, which looks great with most colored pearls. You don't have a bead store locally?

I did 4 strands once for a cook island bracelet with huge holes. It was very difficult, because the threads slid around, but you just use 2 strands doubled, and wax it or dampen it slightly, but silk will stretch..... Look for a synthetic woven thread if you look locally at the tackle stores. That used to be where I got all my thread!

I thought I heard nora say er, write, that she used power pro for a project? Maybe she can overnight you a few yards.

String it up with what you have. Get the PowerPro, then redo it after you get the powerpro. I feel your pressure. I would be very tense.

Ok. What I tried to explain in the earlier thread ...................If the holes are big enough:
String it on a doubled thread but do not knot.
Go back through each pearl and knot it with the same length of double thread.
If the gimp fits.....both sets of string??? Doubt it. (Which is why knotty mentioned the clamshells to attach it to the clasp You know they fold up tight and both halves go into the link instead of using gimp, but so not classy).
So. Only the first pass through is attached to the clasp.
When you go back through each pearl and knot, you will have to knot between the next to the last and last pearl, then pass the thread through the last pearl,
then cut it where it comes out and maybe the micro drop of glue to make it stay, it can't go back through the gimp.

Which is why I combined the four threads as one, instead.

But I gave all that up when I got PowerPro, which is par excellance for klonks that stretch silk.

Last edited:
Hi Caitlin,

Many many thanks for the empathy, the shopping tips and of course, the instructions. I will try to thread it ASAP and will update how it goes.
Thanks again!

UHHA

Hi Uhha,

Do you have G?termann sewing threads available in Tel-Aviv? I use their polyester "button sewing" thread for bigger pearls/stones. It is very strong and does almost not stretch. I have used it (2 threads method with flex needle) for two years now and no customer has yet come back with the stretch issues.

Chameleon

Hi Uhha,

Welcome to our forum! Nice to have another Israeli member here, too..
Bernadette (here on the forum) has a great multiple thread technique - you could try sending her a pm?

Chameleon, Nerida, thank you for the tips. We're in the processs of restringing the necklace already but will keep in mind both the thread and the technique for the future. Best, UHHA

Back