Nautilus pearl

Extraordinary! I can almost see that the pearl is full with chatoyance. And the swirl so strong, it looks like I could feel the crater under my fingers if I touched it. But it is smooth, isn't it? :)
The saucer shape feels just perfect! It is an amazing find!
Yes, the surface is smooth, although my fingers are very large and tough-skinned. And I've got crowns on my front teeth.

Obviously, all of these recent finds will eventually be analyzed by one or more major pearl labs to learn as much as possible about their formation and structure.

Badai Sempuma in the sunlight of Indonesian Summer, with side shot. As it's going to be a few weeks before similar lighting will be possible in Seattle, I have joined these low-res images received prior to shipment.

Let's try to find a bright and sunny spot in Tucson!

Attachments

• 17.4ct-CompositionXX.jpg
    17.4ct-CompositionXX.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 69
My friend,
You found the chamber with the true prize. (pun intended) More and more Nautili (??) reveal themselves. So far this forum is blessed with the most nautilus pictures on the web, not to mention the most info on the mysteries of the nautilus.

Having three nautilus benefactors over here beats the odds!

So far this forum is blessed with the most nautilus pictures on the web, not to mention the most info on the mysteries of the nautilus.
A word of caution that a number of the images here would not pass current muster—a normal part of the learning curve.

Our quest has been as beneficial for the sources as it has been for us. "Nautilus" has indeed been applied by the locals to a wide range of whitish pearls of better than average quality, resulting in the rampant skepticism. As we have become more specific in our search, the finders have become more selective.

My recent run of incredible luck should not be construed as mountains of Nautilus pearls waiting to be discovered!

Nautilus pearls are as much myth and mustika as they are malacological, and are considered to be found only by those of sufficiently kind and pure hearts.

We’ll keep thinking good thoughts!

Last edited:
Dave,

Just referring to images generally throughout this thread, which represent steps along the way in the ongoing search and speculation concerning these pearls.

My last posts indicate a personal satisfaction in having 'discovered' Nautilus pearls, but in fairness there is still no scientific corroboration, assuming there ever will be.

If we are to believe the natives, an element of faith is essential to the Nautilus myth, as well as to the discovery and acquisition of Nautilus pearls.

P.S.
It's magnificent. I'm thrilled just viewing a photo, I'm sure you must be ecstatic.
Yes, it's a major marker along the highway…not sure how long until I'm going to start believing it's real!

Last edited:
Steve
I don't really believe in most mustikas, as you know so well, but your finds are far better than mustikas as sold on the web. They are of intrinsically high value by their rarity and beauty and organic origin. You have THE EYE that draws you to them. Time after time I have seen you score big bulls-eyes with your choices.

Tom&Tom
The same to you. Your magic is different than Steve's, yet it lets you surf on the crest of the wave of all natural pearls, as Steve does. What an intersection of time and space and currents of energy brings pearls to you. I think this has got to be the most momentous thread we have had yet. Thanks to you three, P-G is so far ahead of the curve on these exotic pearls that others don't even know what we are talking about. Yet. Let's see how long till the crowds catch up- a few years, I'd say.

Steve
I don't really believe in most mustikas, as you know so well, but your finds are far better than mustikas as sold on the web. They are of intrinsically high value by their rarity and beauty and organic origin. You have THE EYE that draws you to them. Time after time I have seen you score big bulls-eyes with your choices.

Tom&Tom
The same to you. Your magic is different than Steve's, yet it lets you surf on the crest of the wave of all natural pearls, as Steve does. What an intersection of time and space and currents of energy brings pearls to you. I think this has got to be the most momentous thread we have had yet. Thanks to you three, P-G is so far ahead of the curve on these exotic pearls that others don't even know what we are talking about. Yet. Let's see how long till the crowds catch up- a few years, I'd say.
How about "Mustika on 34th Street" as a subtitle for this thread? (!)

Will take this opportunity to sprinkle in yet another reference to our prize possession—the Nagasari Tree Pearl. Perhaps the beneficent Spirit of the Nagasari has been watching over our search for Nautilus…

But seriously, my exploration in that realm proved applicable here. A peripheral awareness of mustika has been helpful in understanding the processes by which such objects have been discovered and kept over the generations, and to engage in a fruitful dialogue.

Thanks for the kind words. This one will be difficult to follow.

Last edited:
Nautilus pearls made their appearance in Tucson this week, and it was my pleasure and honor to study them in some detail with Ken Scarratt of GIA, Thomas Hainschwang of GemLab, and Elisabeth Strack. It was my first meeting with Ms. Strack and it was difficult to believe I was actually sitting with her sharing my observations and experiences. As for Mr. Hainschwang, whose challenge to find a nautilus blister pearl injected critical energy into this thread, seeing his jaw drop to the floor upon presentation of my photo montage depicting such a discovery was worth the trip!

Thanks to GemGeek, my friend and fellow natural pearl fanatic Blaire, for making doubly sure all the proper connections were made!

I left Tucson to conduct wine business in Phoenix but first had a wonderful dinner and repart?e with the inimitable Bo Torrey and his family. Bo is publisher and editor of Pearl World and has taken a special interest in my exploration of the world of natural pearls.

We were sitting side by side on Bo's couch in a darkened room needing a light to study the pearls and out came a 1960s vintage Ray-O-Vac lantern with a 5-inch lens. As Bo was looking at the pearls I had the opposite view of the backlit pearls. 'Candling' Nautilus pearls had not occurred to me before, but it is the ideal way to discern the swirl structure, and also demonstrates the incredible translucency of authentic Nautilus pearls?they uniformly absorb and redistribute light, becoming little lanterns. Having just finished 'The French Blue' by Richard Wise, I am tempted to follow Tavernier to say they are 'of perfect water.'

Now please imagine precariously balancing pearls on the end of a flashlight?

Attachments

• BacklightCompXX.jpg
    BacklightCompXX.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Breathtaking indeed! So glad that you had a wonderful experience in Tucson Steve. As Caitlin says, this adventure is like a page turner novel, only true! Waiting for the next exciting chapter.
Marianne

'Candling' Nautilus pearls had not occurred to me before

Nor I, but what a great way of looking at natural pearls.

Now please imagine precariously balancing pearls on the end of a flashlight?

I am parted from my collection for the next few weeks, because I'm on assignment at the 2010 Winter Olympics, but when I'm back home, will do just that.

Nice report Steve, thanks.

It was so exciting to see the nautilus pearls. they are indeed beautiful! I am now a fan of chatoyance as seen in a nautilus. It is different than the usual cat's eye chatoyance- It is unique to the nautilus, maybe.

Steve,
That is almost as magnificent as seeing the real thing. I was so honored to have been able to see them. They are, indeed, jaw dropping. Did you get a chance to have Robert Wheldon photograph them? That would be a spectacular accomplishment. I think you and your collection are headed for star-dome.

Did you get a chance to have Robert Wheldon photograph them? That would be a spectacular accomplishment.
Yes, including the whole fresh shell with blisters that I was also hauling around in my dark 'brownish' bag. Robert spent more than an hour with the pearls and shell just prior to his own AGTA session, since I had to leave Tucson soon thereafter.

While Robert was shooting GIA conducted a full interview, so together with Ken Scarratt's work Gems & Gemology will have plenty of material for a groundbreaking article when the time is right.

You must be quivering with excitement! This must be all and more that you had hoped for to introduce your Nautilus pearls. Congratulations on such a successful coming out party. How wonderful that there are so many supportive, i.e., Blaire and Robert Wheldon, Elizabeth Strack, and me! I am anxiously awaiting all of the articles and photography.

Judi,

Thanks so much for your comments. And for the sincere enthusiasm from everyone here.

The natural pearl collecting community would typically have shrouded this process in the cloak of secrecy. That I had nothing to lose was big part of the equation. Perhaps the Spirit of Nautilus approved of the open process and is assisting in its own revelation.

As I told Blaire, I've been shaking in my boots since these latest specimens have arrived. Thank heaven for tripods and delayed timers!

A pleasure to meet, by the way!

Yes, including the whole fresh shell with blisters that I was also hauling around in my dark 'brownish' bag. Robert spent more than an hour with the pearls and shell just prior to his own AGTA session, since I had to leave Tucson soon thereafter.

While Robert was shooting GIA conducted a full interview, so together with Ken Scarratt's work Gems & Gemology will have plenty of material for a groundbreaking article when the time is right.

a great pleasure to meet Steve and to see his nautilus pompilius blister pearl. That blister did not resemble a nice pearl, but i was hurried, the room lighting inadequate, and he had other materials to share...so i look forward to a more leisurely inspection.

Best to all,
Tom

Tom,

Great to meet you and your folks as well.

Actually, the value of the shell with blisters?scientifically, financially or otherwise?has everything to do with what it tells us about Nautilus aragonite and conchiolin secretion and little or nothing to do with aesthetics. The fact that there are blister-like depositions of differing composition and appearance in different areas of the SAME shell is like finding the pot at the end of the rainbow in terms of obtaining a better understanding of the process.

Back