Nautilus pearl

Something reminded me of this debatable object you have been offered: a strand of large round MOP beads, each bead assembled of two precisely polished halves with 'swirls' reminding of the middle of a transversal section through a larger snail shell.

Beaders, you do know what I am talking about, right?
Indonesia, particularly the island of Madura off the north coast of Java, is a snakepit of master shell carvers, something to keep in mind when dealing with non-nacreous pearls (of any color). Fortunately, polishing and shaping take nothing more than adequate magnification to detect.

INCREDIBLE PEARL. I have no other words...

It would be interesting to see the results Dave... maybe we can do a joint experiment using the same parameters but different species of snails. I have Green Turbo Snail here...

Peter Ward at University of Washington had a hard time with vortex structure in non-nacreous pearls and mentioned opercula as a possible explanation. Imagine how that sent me to Google and a search for everything and anyone that could be found related to the subject!

I found Nancy Revelle, nan@nansaidh.us, owner of Websitium Operculata (linked in a prior post, or easily Googled). Nancy is cited in scientific papers on the subject, either as an expert or source for specimens. I've updated Nancy of the goings on here, to her utter fascination. Operculum fanatics, take heed!

We are geeks in the worst way. At least we have an outlet to express our geekiness! ;)

Pearl-Geek. com lives right here.
Fair enough. But the real story of this thread now that Nautilus is all but wrapped up (albeit months away from public pronouncement) is how the 'geeks' fed the flames of interdisciplinary research and put the loose ends together. Those 'geeks' meet here.

They will all have their stories to tell?and it goes well beyond Nautilus!

Adding another image to the thread. This is the Nautilus 'blister pearl' found in a midden of older shells last November.

During the recently-held 'Pearl-Guide Ruckus' in Los Angeles, Douglas from Cortez Pearls mentioned using mineral oil to effectively clean new pearls and refresh/rehydrate older ones.

Indeed, it has breathed new life into this pearl.

Attachments

• 4.4-7.28.10x.jpg
    4.4-7.28.10x.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 73
Told you it would work!

Steve,
Where did you get the mineral oil? Can you share the specifics? Thanks.

Lol- with simply stunning results, Douglas! My my, I think ya'll may have a new Nautilus pearl fan over here if those chatoyant, fiery iridescent beauties keep popping up... I wonder if anyone's ever collected enough to create a strand? :rolleyes:

A dramatic difference. Makes me wish I had a little stockpile of translucent pearls to play with! ;)

Steve,
Where did you get the mineral oil? Can you share the specifics? Thanks.
LINK to reply in Pearl Cleaning, a better place to share what may become a new round of pearl care experiences?

Today we received a new shell, reportedly found sometime in June in the Molucca Islands. The source sent it to me as part of the ongoing search for blisters, although it seemed clear to me from the initial photos received that the superfluous shell material was a reinforcement of the base of the septum (our shell with the dark blister on the phragmacone/inner whorl also has such a structure that the source thought to be a second blister).

Upon receipt, the formation is clearly observed to be nacreous. And the shell shows extensive, regular cracks. On the exterior shot to the left, the crack at the second brown band coincides perfectly with the final septum wall juncture, and it seems clear that the additional nacre was produced to repair and reinforce the shell break.

This reminds me of this shell anomaly:

This is a shell recently offered to me showing a nacreous blister from Nautilus.

I've just noticed that the aperture in that Nautilus shell was neatly cut away to expose the nacre swelling. Source wanted an arm and a leg for it, not a smart thing to do. But it would be interesting to see the exterior of that shell to see what if any shell damage had occurred requiring reinforcement at that point.

I also wonder if this sort of provocation for deposition of new shell material would be considered as much a blister as the coating of an intruder or other shell wall irritant?

Attachments

• Shell05x.jpg
    Shell05x.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I also wonder if this sort of provocation for deposition of new shell material would be considered as much a blister as the coating of an intruder or other shell wall irritant?

Again, it sure looks like a scale worm to me. This worm is often involved in commensal relationships.

Whatever trauma this creature endured. It's mantle was split or scarred for life.

Probably did him more good than bad.

Again, it sure looks like a scale worm to me. This worm is often involved in commensal relationships.

Whatever trauma this creature endured. It's mantle was split or scarred for life.

Probably did him more good than bad.
More blisters than less is good?

In looking at scale worm images I do see your point. But what's so commensal about being smothered in aragonite?

Another fun evening with the camera…

With the new shell came more pearls believed to be Nautilus, from private collections. Whether Molluscus Abominabilis or Nautilus, they display the characteristics we have come to expect. And we now know scientifically that they cannot originate in a gastropod or a bivalve.

I had previously passed on these due to a decision not to purchase more pearls from collections, seeking provenance in lieu of scientific species ID.

Following what transpired during the ESEM session in Granada with Antonio Checa at approximately 10:45am on June 22 of this year, that decision has been reversed.

Provenance, assuming Nautilus pearls are still being discovered, is just as much about faith as native mysticism.

This is a nearly round pearl of good size, 11.44 x 11.24mm and 11.65 carats. Pretty impressive!

Attachments

• 10.75CompX.jpg
    10.75CompX.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 71
Back