Nautilus pearl

nautilus

nautilus

Thanks mr.tom
I will dismantle the existing shells in the shop and by chance I also have my divers contacts in flores and I have to check from there. and If i found my reply will immediately inform you.

regards
natural

Thanks mr.tom
I will dismantle the existing shells in the shop and by chance I also have my divers contacts in flores and I have to check from there. and If i found my reply will immediately inform you.

regards
natural

That is correct Natural. Do not kill anything for this specific purpose. Datuk Tom

?I would hate to cause a plunder just to answer a question?
Those tempted to sink extra pots or go diving for Nautilus would need to bear in mind the diver's comments from my prior post:
  • The Nautilus is very seldom encountered live, as they only rise to divable depths late at night.
  • The Nautilus is a fast swimmer in deep water. When attacked, it fights back aggressively?using strong, albeit suctionless, tentacles.
A noble tragedy in the making?on the order of bullfighting in Spain. As Natural implored: 'Pray for me!'

Nautilus pearls are as much myth and mustika as they are malacological, and are considered to be found only by those of sufficiently kind and pure hearts.

We must therefore have faith that those with ulterior motives WILL ULTIMATELY FAIL!

Motives

Motives

Those tempted to sink extra pots or go diving for Nautilus would need to bear in mind the diver's comments from my prior post:
A noble tragedy in the making?on the order of bullfighting in Spain. As Natural implored: 'Pray for me!'

Nautilus pearls are as much myth and mustika as they are malacological, and are considered to be found only by those of sufficiently kind and pure hearts.

We must therefore have faith that those with ulterior motives WILL ULTIMATELY FAIL!

Hi, All,

Cosmic, indeed! I know each of the men looking has the purpose of feeding his family. If they do not find one, does that mean they failed the purity test? Or only that the one who sent them on the hunt can fail? Not at all ulterior, my motives can be spelled out: science and business.

My team has mobilized. Thanks to this thread, the solution...a blister pearl, which should have been so obvious as the way to answer doubters...now carries a grail-type attraction.

Thanks to all, no matter what.

Best,
Tom

If they do not find one, does that mean they failed the purity test? Or only that the one who sent them on the hunt can fail?
Only one adept in the ways of mustika could properly respond.

As the primary instigator in this little episode, I'll be looking inward as well?cats and curiosity and such.

Turning to the debate between natural pearls and "Non-bead nucleated" cultured pearls, Stanford University Linear Accelerator has an "atom smasher" that creates the perfect type of radiation to image the interior of a pearl. I have seen images of similar material. While micro-CT is able to see inside pearls, the particle beam is faster and has far greater detail, so I believe micro CT is obsolete.

Sincerely,
Tom
Best regards,
Tom

The imaging should turn in some news! What is the group looking for at this point?

My question comes mostly from the current description of keshi pearl formation. It seems that whatever evidence there is about this may not be regarded as sufficient for a headline on natural pearl identification, but what does show off whenever there is a chance [say, a matter of terminology such as HERE], suggests that at least those keshi resulting from minimal mantle disturbance form precisely as similar natural pearls would: same process - same structure. I cannot guess whether from among the hollow natural pearls any may resemble the type of keshi resulting from collapsed pearl sacks.

Tentative as it may be, the keshi formation story implies that a tell-tale, qualitative distinction between keshi and natural pearls remains to be identified. Further along, a less strong suggestion would be that such distinction may not be about pearl growth process or structure at all. Hence the question: what kind of news are expected from the Stanford lab?

Note: to leave this post in good shape, I should note that I am not familiar with consultancy where the link above leads. Dr. H?nni is the recently retired director of the SSEF Gemological laboratory in Basel.

18 pages later, here we are. Blister and shell are in transit, disappointing that the blister was separated from the shell, but there remains a possibility that analysis can establish a link.

The blister certainly offers the idealized Nautilus pearl characteristics: inner light, translucency, flame, hint of iridescence, polar swirl. Nice size, too. 8.8mm across by 7mm high, 4.4 carats.

More Nautilus pearls were gathered on the same expedition. Will post upon receipt?this post just to keep things reasonably real-time.

Attachments

• Blister(Post).jpg
    Blister(Post).jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 67
Good job

Good job

The friendly race is not over until there can be no room for doubt, because certain non-believers will grasp at any possible alternative explanation. So at this point, notwithstanding the tremendously persuasive photographs provided by Steve, which I personally believe to be solid evidence and not a modern-day Unicorn photo, let the game continue.

But hurry! As I write, my men report they are bringing to "civilization" an attached blister Nautilus. We had one last week but decided it was less a blister pearl than a shell deformation.

That aside, I CONGRATULATE Steve not only on coming up with the notion of looking for a blister, but having the ability to actually look for one. Great job, Steve! I may owe you a San Francisco dinner, but if my guys have an attached blister Nautilus, we can celebrate on you in Seattle.

Respectfully still in the race, but sweating because the competition is a stalwart dude!

Tom

All the dramatic elements of a good movie! ;)
Might Discovery Channel be looking in?

Great job, Steve! I may owe you a San Francisco dinner, but if my guys have an attached blister Nautilus, we can celebrate on you in Seattle.
How many guys?!! In any case, I'm afraid my ammo belt is nearing depletion. As long as the result is positive, either venue will be a pleasure.

Due credit to the doubtful Europeans for the blister idea, Valeria101 had also expressed this to me on the side. So definitely a team effort.

Steve, you must come to Tucson so we can all celebrate together. Big congratulations, Stalwart Dude, even though it was separated from the shell. ;)

Tom, congratulations will soon be in order for you, too! I can't believe how fast this happened. Offering a monetary prize sure got results. ;)

Has anyone alerted Ken?

Cheers,
Blaire

Has anyone alerted Ken?
Yes, Ken Scarratt is aware and following the developments. A pity about the detached blister, for sure (what was the finder thinking!). Only upon receipt and physical inspection of blister and shell will it be possible to determine if further analysis will be merited.

(My first "Nautilus" pearl posted here appears to be a detached blister as well. Could it be an anatomical tendency for study?)

Meanwhile I'll be rooting for Tom's (attached) blister.

Tucson: Sounds like a plan.

Nautilus Pearls And Coriolis Force?

Nautilus Pearls And Coriolis Force?

NAUTILUS PEARLS AND CORIOLIS FORCE?

On this thread, Tom Stern and I have each referred to the polar swirl as a feature of authentic Nautilus pearls, from examples in our possession.

Whether specific to the Nautilus or not, I spent a couple of hours on a rainy Sunday comparing swirl images this thread has been privileged to expose:

• Left image: 21.6ct drop, found in the Indonesian archipelago (Southern Hemisphere).
  • Center image: Tom's certified pearl, from Pearlshooter's image taken for the Dubai auction. Found in the Sulu Archipelago (Northern Hemisphere).
  • Right image: Nautilus blister recently found in the Indonesian archipelago (Southern Hemisphere).
The left and right images show a counterclockwise swirl, while the center image is clockwise. Allowing for the fact that pearls are formed from the inside out, the directions may be reversed, conforming to the Coriolis effect on geostrophic wind flow as observed in the Earth's opposing hemispheres.

Is there anyone out there as yet not completely fascinated with the idea of Nautilus Pearls?!!!

Attachments

• SwirlsX.jpg
    SwirlsX.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Anyone not interested wouldn't bother to look. Heh heh
The interest in Nautilus pearls seems to have uncovered more pearls than we thought were lying around. groovy.

The interest in Nautilus pearls seems to have uncovered more pearls than we thought were lying around.
Still in the specimen collection stage. No proof yet!

Until a second pearl is certified by a lab other than GIA, or the first pearl's certified ID is effectively invalidated, this thread should hold its interest. It's all about the process (for those who bother to look!).

Back