Natural Paua Pearls

Rob and Denise are very forthcoming and have many followers. In the Google era, all roads for Paua lead to them. Hubert Bari ('The Pink Pearl') is working on a similar book featuring abalone pearls, and we should be seeing many more Paua in glossy hardcover before too long?

And also at Paris Natural History Museum have schedule for permanent display of Paua Pearls on 2010.

It is with some angst that I post this image of perfectly matched paua/diamond earrings (with long kelp-inspired backs) that we do not own, nor ever will (custom job sold in France during the World Rugby Cup). Keshi fans might see a future here!

Attachments

• PauaEarringsX.jpg
    PauaEarringsX.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 69
The earrings are fabulous. While paua pearls might be beyond me, it would be possible to make something similar with some baroques, I reckon...if only I had the time to work on remembering my silversmithing from 25 years ago

How did they get the photo - I mean how did they get the earrings to stand up like that?

How did they get the photo - I mean how did they get the earrings to stand up like that?

Possibilities: 1- The earrings are hanging on a piece of thread or thin string; or 2- the tip of the ear wire is standing in a "putty". When the films are professionally developed, the thread or putty does not appear in the picture.

Gail

It looks like the ends of the ear wires are stuck into the paper background and probably there is some rigid foam or cardboard behind the paper that the earwires are stuck in as well which helps to hold them up.

DFrey

It is with some angst that I post this image of perfectly matched paua/diamond earrings (with long kelp-inspired backs) that we do not own, nor ever will (custom job sold in France during the World Rugby Cup). Keshi fans might see a future here!

Just stunning earrings. Very inspirational for the pearls and the metalsmithing in the design. Thank you for showing us!

I vote for clear museum putty then its airbrushed out. Do they still airbrush? Digitally remastered :)? I'd spend that kind of photograhic dollars on those earrings even if they did put diamonds on them.

Natural Paua Pearls / Conicals

Natural Paua Pearls / Conicals

Conicals on parade!

Attachments

• IMG_0459 Forum.jpg
    IMG_0459 Forum.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 62
Conicals, teeth, etc are rare, offer a huge color surface and are highly valued by collectors in the larger sizes, primarily as trophies. I've got a couple in my pearl drawer, but what to do with them? Of course, Rob Wright was able to fashion a beautiful pendant, below (estimated value $15,000US just for the pearl?at wholesale). But my solid view is that the smaller freeforms, less appealing to the collectors yet far more versatile (including rare matching opportunities such as the earrings posted earlier) are 'where it's at' for folks like us here?

Attachments

• Paua.jpg
    Paua.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 63
Steve, I wish (not really) that you would stop posting photos of such spectacular pieces!! That pendant is just amazing! I think you're right though - the freeforms on the R are far more "where its at" for most of us.. All gorgeous, and the colours!!

Steve,

I like that pendant design very much and your brooch at the start of this thread is beautiful in its colours and the warm tone of the gold - a pity these pearls + gold get soo easily very expensive....

Steve,

I like that pendant design very much and your brooch at the start of this thread is beautiful in its colours and the warm tone of the gold - a pity these pearls + gold get soo easily very expensive....
Pricing is definitely an issue. Paua pricing at origin is calculated on the limited (albeit sustainable) source, and the spectacular (and natural) nature of the pearls themselves. Currently, wholesalers outside of NZ would not be able to offer freeforms much under $400 per carat, and the larger conicals, teeth, etc around $600. For the pearl in the pendant in my prior post, this looks to have a weight somewhere around 30 carats, so actually that's US$18,000, not $15,000 as in my post. That does not include the gold, diamond, one-off uniqueness, etc etc. Again, that's wholesale.

Other abalone offerings, notably the red and green Halioti as seen at Pearl Paradise and Pacific Pearls, are far less expensive. But there is certainly a color difference, in addition to general lack of similar availability of the smaller and more versatile gem-quality freeforms in the 0,5 to 5 carat range.

At least it's fairly unanimous that paua and the resulting jewelry are capable of unsurpassed beauty.

Last edited:
?matched paua/diamond earrings (with long kelp-inspired backs) that we do not own, nor ever will (custom job sold in France during the World Rugby Cup)
Well, it seems New Zealand took pity on me and set to work on a second kelp-themed set of earrings in my honor (title: 'Kelp'). These are 2.07 cts paua with blue tanzanite, 18K.

Attachments

• Kelp.jpg
    Kelp.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 66
Freeforms on parade

Freeforms on parade

Which one is your favorite?

Attachments

• _6760.jpg
    _6760.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 63
Back