Natural Abalone Horn shaped Pearl

Lola G

Hi
Found this while shucking after a dive DSCN0632.jpg. Would really appreciate any feedback on what kind of cap to put on it to use as a necklace - I was thinking gold/silver? thin band just down from the base??? Also, some opinions on monetary value? There seems to be such a wide/long range! Its so beautiful I dont know if I could part with it anyway. Approx measurements 50mm x 27mm and it weighs 65 carats. Thanks everyone

Absolutely fantastic! What does the rest of it look like? The angle you photographed is gorgeous.

Hi
Found this while shucking after a dive. Would really appreciate any feedback on what kind of cap to put on it to use as a necklace - I was thinking gold/silver? thin band just down from the base??? Also, some opinions on monetary value? There seems to be such a wide/long range! Its so beautiful I dont know if I could part with it anyway. Approx measurements 50mm x 27mm and it weighs 65 carats. Thanks everyone

An excellent find.

Your pearl presents with the classic horn shape of an abalone inflicted with hepatopancreatitis. Pearls of this type are not uncommon, but a rare event nonetheless. 50mm x 65 carats are average size and weights.

Next to loose pearls (round, oval or baroque) horns are somewhat marketable. Mantle perforations cause pearls in abalone of all shapes, often more colorful than horns. Horns are desirable to some collectors, because of their easily identifiable origin and wearable as pendants for men or women.

The market for natural abalone pearls is not strong. Some may sell for a few hundred dollars, but one's advertised in the thousands don't move very well, if at all.

As I'd advise many others who found single pearls, keep it. It's bragging rights for a diver, lucky for a harvester and a token of adventure.

As far as hanging it, it only needs a hole drilled, a ring pin and a chain or cord. You might do well to use something sticky, like tape or putty to find the balance point first.

Congratulations!

when i see auction results natural pearls drilled bring quite some less then undrilled so dont drill it if you ever sell it the hole while make sure it looses most of the value because the use for the buyer is limited then ( we also prefer un drilled over drilled when we buy these pearls )

most good goldsmiths will be able to make a pendant around it where you don't need a drill hole in there look for a goldsmith that is used to material like pearls and opals so they know how to handle something that can break in a second

Great find !

I will try and attach a couple more pics ...... yes, it is so beautiful ..... Iam in loveDSCN0633.jpg

The best advice

The best advice

Thanks so much everyone for your very knowledgable, informative advice. I have been finding abalone pearls for years as a recreational gatherer and employment as an abalone shucker but never really thought much of them until I came across this beauty - now Iam hooked and wish I hadnt thrown so many away - what a fool! So, into storage I shall go in search of some of the ones I kept. I doubt I would part with this unless offered an absolutely outrageous price (which is doubtful) as it has me entranced and I have become emotionally attached to it, crazy! I will post some pics oneday when I get it on a chain (no holes drilled). Gold or Silver??

This is a beauty! What a great find. Pls do post pics when you have set your pearl. I'll love to see how you have set it.

Gold doesn't tarnish so I do prefer gold over silver. What have you decided on?

Lola G, thanks so much for sharing this with us; it's like looking into the ocean itself, especially on the top / flat part ... just gorgeous!

It is absolutely dreamy. Please don't throw anything away from now on!

Can you show us shots from every angle and side? What you've posted so far is spectacular!

That is quite a beautiful abalone horn! The shape is great. There is no brown stuff- it is 100% colorful. The surface is perfect. Even with dmj's suggestion not to drill it to keep maximum value, I think such a perfect piece only needs a hole big enough for a piece of leather. This pearl needs no coverup or adornment. it is perfect.

Jeremy has a very beautiful abalone horn that is worn on leather. Those are super-rare when they need no covering. If I had that, I would wear it everyday for the rest of my life! You probably won't find a better looking abalone pearl than that one.

We would LOVE to see any other pieces you haven't tossed, so dig them out and show us! And in the future, show us any new ones you find. We love even the less perfect abalone pearls around here.

Back