My experience with Power Pro

Caitlin

Thanks Serenity--How flattering! But I am not a guru at all, really I'm just a lowly beader who isn't afraid to go against common wisdom and/or common practice. I need to find out for myself. Heavy pearls sent me on the search for powerpro too. But now I have it in all sizes in white and moss green. It has never let me down yet.

I read somewhere that Dandyline by Beadalon is the "same" as prower pro, so I got some of that too. I think they are both made of spectra. It is silkier than Powerpro to use, but it needs waxing because it is very easy to tangle. It comes in white and a dark silvery gray. I only use it if I am out of powerpro.

When I first started as a beader back in the 60's, I used monofiliment fishing line to string necklaces! :eek: Then I started trying everything they had in bead shops When I first started knotting, also in the 60's, I stuck with silk- even though it stretched easily. Then I found powerpro and now use it for every bead stringing job. I took my hubby's "love beads" from the 60's off the monofiliment fishing line and restrung it with powerpro. I love it. If and when it needs restringing again (he wears it a lot) I will do it with powerpro--unless something better comes along.

I am not sure what constitutes "drape" in a pearl necklace. Most 15"-19" necklaces do not need drape when worn anyway. I just put up a photo of a 60" pearl rope a few days ago- probably in the Silk Challenge. It has the same flexibility in the curves as silk, but I think it will take much longer than silk to need reknotting.

Look, I am probably the most inexperienced "knotter" here - I have tried both silk and powerpro. I love the feel of the silk when I am working with it, but not so happy with the end result (probs just my inexperience). Powerpro felt harsh to work with, but I loved the end result - better knots, better placed knots, and I think more durability to the finished piece.... just very much MHO, and I will try silk again (maybe using Sheri's method of 4 threads... not sure yet) but I used the 10lb powerpro and certainly will continue with it.

After reading this thread - out came the powerpro and a string of volunteers - oops I mean pearls.

I used the .009 inch diameter thread - double stranded.

This is my take on it.

I found it super easy to knot - it makes very nice knots that are very easy to move into position (I use a tweezer method).

The drape when completed is good - it hangs lovely.

Downside is that finishing off took me longer then normal - it was more "Fiddly" due to its stiffness (compared to the Polyamide thread I usually use).

I think this thread has excellent potential - especially for heavier\more challenging jobs. All its characteristics would indicate that it should be a long lasting "Tough" thread.

I would give it a 9 out of 10 Rating :)

Here's a close-up of the finished product at the clasp.

Pearl_PowerPro1JPG.jpg

Nice pearls, nice knots.. very nice clasp!
I love powerpro, just think it is a little rough on the hands.. and sometimes I can't get it!

I love powerpro, just think it is a little rough on the hands.. and sometimes I can't get it!

I can account for that. I have 2 blisters to prove it.

I am starting to prefer powerpro but find I have trouble cutting it. It seems to be too strong for my scissors (multiple pairs). I have to sort of gnaw at it. Anyone find something that works better?

I can account for that. I have 2 blisters to prove it.

I am starting to prefer powerpro but find I have trouble cutting it. It seems to be too strong for my scissors (multiple pairs). I have to sort of gnaw at it. Anyone find something that works better?
You need a zapper.

Power Pro will not cut with most scissors. There is a thread that covers that.

I use those thread clippers shaped like a horse shoe- all one piece. They are between $1.59 and $3.50 each so I buy a half dozen at a time, though if you don't take apart your work, they will last a long time. Pictures in a couple of other threads.

If you take apart a strand, the zapper is not good, but thread clippers will go between pearls easily.

Childrens' scissors from Fiskers cut right through it. $4.59 z pair, but the blades are too thick to cut between pearls. Some times a sharp edge on a gem stone will also cut power pro, so ream them smooth before adding.

I use a razor-sharp pocketknife for the ends I'll be threading through a needle and then the zapper for finishing the final knots-- sometimes the zapped ends gets melty and hard, and I don't want them to abrade the rest of the PP or even get stuck in a drill-hole as I'm stringing.

Hello pearl friends,
Those in the US check your local sporting goods stores. I just bought some Power Pro at my local Sports Authority. They are the same price as Cabela's without the shipping and handling. 10lb through 50lb in white, yellow, moss green.

Hello pearl friends,
Those in the US check your local sporting goods stores. I just bought some Power Pro at my local Sports Authority. They are the same price as Cabela's without the shipping and handling. 10lb through 50lb in white, yellow, moss green.

Ours only has moss green. :(

Mary

Mary

Maryd,
The one near Willowbrook mall has white. I saw white in 10lb but did not check the other sizes. I saw yellow too. I haven't checked Academy yet.

Cathy - I did not know you are here in Houston. Now I know who to ask about the local shops. :) I am in the Kingwood area so I will definitely have to make my way over to Willowbrook. Thanks for the tip.
Mary

mary

mary

Mary,
Call them first so you don't waste a trip. :)

Check your PM.

Don't buy yellow! It runs. moss green and white are better than yellow or red

I just finished restringing one of my Tahitian strands with the moss green 50lb. The color really blends in well with the peacock pearls. It looks much better than black thread. I tried 30lb moss green on this strand and it was too fine. The pearls passed right through the knots. I even tried quadrupling the thread but the knots are still too fine for the drill hole. My black silk size E is too small also. I think the drill hole on my Tahitian strand is >.75mm, for you to reference your future strands.

Power Pro drapes well and its knots are clean and fine. It doesn't tangle as waxed silk. I also have silk breaking on me when I tightened the knots, more on black than white. It's just a little rough on the fingers.

Hmmmmm! Never tried the PowerPro, but I think I'll buy some and give it a try. I usually use Gudebrod silk, or FireLine.

Would you say that the PowerPro is easier to work with than FireLine, or are they much of a muchness?

I've used Gudebrod silk too, but not Fireline. I like Power Pro better. My black silk kept breaking on me. It could be the spool...old thread sitting on vendor's shelf for too long ? Power Pro is also easier to unravel than silk. Waxing silk seems to make it glide better; and therefore much easier to separate the double thread to seat the knot on top of the pearl. But I notice that waxed silk (attracts dirt?) tends to get dirty easier during knotting.

Back