Mikimoto pearl and clasp identification

KathyK

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI have a 17" set of Mikimoto pearls with a clasp with the M in clamshell plus an S. I am trying to figure out what the S stands for.
This 3 strand set was given to my mother in law in the 60's or 70's as a gift. I do not have the original box but they appear to be in good condition.

I do feel a bit of the "gritty" texture that indicates good quality pearls but I would love to know what kind of pearl they are and if they have any resale value.

They are graduated in size as you can see from the photo.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

It looks like a vintage Mikimoto strand of akoya. The "S" likely refers to silver. The strand appears to be in pretty good shape too. The grittiness does not mean anything about the quality. It is only a determinant of whether or not the strand is real.

KathyK -- welcome to the forum! I PMed you. If you look on the top right of your screen, you can click on "notifications".

You have a lovely triple strand necklace from Mikimoto. The pearls are terrific and definitely have value. If you haven't thought about wearing them yourself, I suggest you put them on and give them a spin. Think Mad Men! :)

Thank you to all of you for your responses and information. They are beautiful and I might just take your advice and wear them! I have been too nervous in the past. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I am new here and this thread is quite old
But I wanted to say that it is a pretty common misconception to assume that S in a square means Silver. Actually, it means Platinum in Miki's world. SIL means Silver.
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong

Hi Masik,

I just got off the phone with a customer service rep at Mikimoto. (I had to call because I could not see any logic in using S to refer to platinum.)

He said S in a box would not mean platinum. Platinum would be marked Platinum or 10% iridium, or if before 1975, possibly not marked at all. Sterling after 1975 would be marked S, Sil, silver, or 925, and before 1975 it might not have been marked at all.

On non-Mikimoto clasps, S could just be the stamp of the manufacturer.

Hi Masik,

I just got off the phone with a customer service rep at Mikimoto. (I had to call because I could not see any logic in using S to refer to platinum.)

He said S in a box would not mean platinum. Platinum would be marked Platinum or 10% iridium, or if before 1975, possibly not marked at all. Sterling after 1975 would be marked S, Sil, silver, or 925, and before 1975 it might not have been marked at all.

On non-Mikimoto clasps, S could just be the stamp of the manufacturer.

Thank you, Dear PD!
Thank you for clearing it up.
So... what would S in a box mean?
My strand is from the 60s, according to family history, and I was told it IS silver and believed until I found a few references that it might be platinum (I see at least 2 auctions on eBay right now where two sellers claim that "S in a box means platinum in Mikimoto World"... that is got me confused as my strand looks very similar with a similar clasp.
Here are pix of my baby.

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 62
Since the Mikimoto employee I spoke to said silver might be marked with an S, and your family history is that the clasp is silver, I would think the clasp is silver, despite what the eBay sellers you refer to may claim.

I suppose you could test it with the appropriate acid, if you are in doubt. (But why?)

Take this listing, for example...to me that looks like a silver clasp that has the typical patina that silver develops from oxidation (tarnish.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikimoto-P...077376?hash=item41d659b480:g:ygEAAOSw5UZY~5Eb
Perhaps the seller hopes to make more money by claiming that S stands for platinum...

Now take this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lovely-MIK...695245?hash=item2f0fb09b4d:g:jl0AAOSww9xZDWtu
Even though the username is different, it has to be the same seller-- see the item location? Both this one and the other listing are located in Rapid City, South Dakota. So it's just one seller making this claim, not two. The two usernames both end in 4u, also.

Incidentally, I scoured the Mikimoto website, and nowhere does it state that S means platinum. I think that seller is blowing smoke. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Since the Mikimoto employee I spoke to said silver might be marked with an S, and your family history is that the clasp is silver, I would think the clasp is silver, despite what the eBay sellers you refer to may claim.

I suppose you could test it with the appropriate acid, if you are in doubt. (But why?)

Take this listing, for example...to me that looks like a silver clasp that has the typical patina that silver develops from oxidation (tarnish.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikimoto-P...077376?hash=item41d659b480:g:ygEAAOSw5UZY~5Eb
Perhaps the seller hopes to make more money by claiming that S stands for platinum...

Now take this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lovely-MIK...695245?hash=item2f0fb09b4d:g:jl0AAOSww9xZDWtu
Even though the username is different, it has to be the same seller-- see the item location? Both this one and the other listing are located in Rapid City, South Dakota. So it's just one seller making this claim, not two. The two usernames both end in 4u, also.

Incidentally, I scoured the Mikimoto website, and nowhere does it state that S means platinum. I think that seller is blowing smoke. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Dear PD!
Yes, I agree those sellers are one and the same :) though with pretty good FB :)
So, I did a simple home test to confirm the clasp is silver - just draw a line on a piece white paper. Silver would leave a mark. And so it did.
25627617_1489513184477280_1314152428_n (1).jpg

Back