Lpearls.com warning - they will rip you off - NOT akoya

Thanks everyone just praying this helps others from ordering from the Chinese companies. This mistake has cost my family dearly and so far not so good in the recovery process. I'll just keep praying that things will turn around and by a little grace it will.

I also found five other company names that have basically the same website as lpearls same pictures and everything just different names
When you click on the contact us in the websites it also shows the same phone number as l pearls... so beware I think it's a complete scamming ring.
Does anyone know if this is something that should be taking to a higher authority branch like FBI?since local police can't do anything maybe they can?

If you were sold pearls that were mis-labled or that were preserved in undisclosed materials (potentially hazardous) you have a couple of courses...you can file a complaint with your State Attorney General and you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

If you were sold pearls that were mis-labled or that were preserved in undisclosed materials (potentially hazardous) you have a couple of courses...you can file a complaint with your State Attorney General and you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

Perhaps OSHA, too. Anything deemed or potentially deemed hazardous must have an accompanying Material Data Safety Sheet, outlining the specific hazards, safe shipping / handling instructions and barrier protection requirements.

UPS states: MSDS or Material Safety Data Sheet: May indicate a product is hazardous. Ensure that the shipment receives expert analysis before being advanced. These are transported in a similar manner to sampling. Samples for Testing: May contain any number of dangerous goods.

I ship samples all the time. The post office requires whether samples are stable if damaged and exclude a broad spectrum of preservatives, bio hazards or volatile substances. For example, ethanol as a preservative is not permitted.

I've not seen the factories where wish pearls are artificially reconstructed. Tissue preservatives, like formaldehyde do well to preserve cell integrity, but smell to high heaven, especially with marine species. Bromine is used in hot tubs, but in low enough concentrations to demote algal growth, but not to preserve tissues, lest one would be pickled while bathing. Likewise, bromine was a critical component in HALON fire suppression systems, thus banned. Pearl buckets are shipped and retained at room temperature, hence the concentrations of whatever preserves the oyster is exceedingly high. From what I've seen in videos or in person, almost every person handling these oysters wear no barrier protection at all. Rather than thoroughly washing after each opening, most party hosts or kiosk merchants merely wipe their hands then handle drilling equipment and settings which are immediately worn when in person. I've never seen one piece washed before handing it over, ever.

The oysters themselves may be (or highly likely) borne of waters polluted by sewage, factor wastes, dangerous pathogens or other bio hazards. Normally, bivalve mollusks "adduct" to remain closed. When demised, the shells abduct. In other words... drawn apart. To prevent this, something must take place, likely chemical. Thermal treatment causes the adductor muscle to become dislodged from the shell. Clams, mussels and oysters pop open when cooked or gape while dying.

Perhaps OSHA, too. Anything deemed or potentially deemed hazardous must have an accompanying Material Data Safety Sheet, outlining the specific hazards, safe shipping / handling instructions and barrier protection requirements.

UPS states: MSDS or Material Safety Data Sheet: May indicate a product is hazardous. Ensure that the shipment receives expert analysis before being advanced. These are transported in a similar manner to sampling. Samples for Testing: May contain any number of dangerous goods.

I ship samples all the time. The post office requires whether samples are stable if damaged and exclude a broad spectrum of preservatives, bio hazards or volatile substances. For example, ethanol as a preservative is not permitted.

I've not seen the factories where wish pearls are artificially reconstructed. Tissue preservatives, like formaldehyde do well to preserve cell integrity, but smell to high heaven, especially with marine species. Bromine is used in hot tubs, but in low enough concentrations to demote algal growth, but not to preserve tissues, lest one would be pickled while bathing. Likewise, bromine was a critical component in HALON fire suppression systems, thus banned. Pearl buckets are shipped and retained at room temperature, hence the concentrations of whatever preserves the oyster is exceedingly high. From what I've seen in videos or in person, almost every person handling these oysters wear no barrier protection at all. Rather than thoroughly washing after each opening, most party hosts or kiosk merchants merely wipe their hands then handle drilling equipment and settings which are immediately worn when in person. I've never seen one piece washed before handing it over, ever.

The oysters themselves may be (or highly likely) borne of waters polluted by sewage, factor wastes, dangerous pathogens or other bio hazards. Normally, bivalve mollusks "adduct" to remain closed. When demised, the shells abduct. In other words... drawn apart. To prevent this, something must take place, likely chemical. Thermal treatment causes the adductor muscle to become dislodged from the shell. Clams, mussels and oysters pop open when cooked or gape while dying.

Dave...good thought. These wish pearls are a bad idea all around.

Oh no!

Oh no!

I have a dispute with them as well. I read another thread in here and wanted to start my own pearl party business for local customers. I ordered some from LPearl on November 7th and still haven't received them. I submitted a PayPal dispute and then they supposedly mailed my order. I'll know tomorrow if they are really in the package. I wish I had seen this post. I too read posts in here and online and I felt like I did my homework finding LPearl. I'm disappointed and nervous now. Are there any honest companies to buy these from? I hope I get my money back. I had every intention to disclose to my friends that they might not hold any value and are meant for the experience. Sigh

I received a sad and disturbing telephone call yesterday. A gentleman and his wife had seen one of the "Open an Oyster" parties on Facebook and decided to start their own business.
The man had ordered a few hundred shells online, opened them and took the pearls to a local jeweler. The jeweler had (unfortunately) confirmed they were saltwater pearls. He even identified the black pearls as Tahitian pearls instead of dyed freshwater pearls like they really are.

He had purchased the shells from AliExpress via a company called lpearls. They have a website, lpearls.com. I remember this website from nearly a decade ago using gray and black-hat SEO techniques to rank on Google. The website still looks the same today.

Believing they could start their own business, the gentleman put all the money they had into buying more shells - several thousand dollars. This week they received a shipment filled with empty boxes from lpearls.com. Lpearls then deleted their account and sent the tracking number to PayPal in an attempt to prove they had shipped pearls in an oyster to him.

I advised him to fight it out with PayPal, which typically sides with the consumer when there is fraud involved.

This is the site information for LPearls.com:

Registrant Name: ZHANG XIAO YUN
Registrant Organization: LPEARLS
Registrant Street: GUANGZHOU CITY,GUANGDONG PROVINCE
Registrant City: GUANGZHOU
Registrant Postal Code: 510507
Registrant Country: CN
Registrant Phone: +86.2087642246
Registrant Email:

I know a lot of the members here have strong feelings about the "open an oyster" fad. But now real people are being harmed by this and I am posting this thread in hopes that other people considering starting this sort of business will use extra caution when dealing with companies in China that might have no problem ripping off an easy, gullible target.

Thank you Jeremy and everyone else. I too hope nobody else has been scammed. I planned on wearing gloves and researching how to dispose of the shells after.

I received a sad and disturbing telephone call yesterday. A gentleman and his wife had seen one of the "Open an Oyster" parties on Facebook and decided to start their own business.

The man had ordered a few hundred shells online, opened them and took the pearls to a local jeweler. The jeweler had (unfortunately) confirmed they were saltwater pearls. He even identified the black pearls as Tahitian pearls instead of dyed freshwater pearls like they really are.

He had purchased the shells from AliExpress via a company called lpearls. They have a website, lpearls.com. I remember this website from nearly a decade ago using gray and black-hat SEO techniques to rank on Google. The website still looks the same today.

Believing they could start their own business, the gentleman put all the money they had into buying more shells - several thousand dollars. This week they received a shipment filled with empty boxes from lpearls.com. Lpearls then deleted their account and sent the tracking number to PayPal in an attempt to prove they had shipped pearls in an oyster to him.

I advised him to fight it out with PayPal, which typically sides with the consumer when there is fraud involved.

This is the site information for LPearls.com:

Registrant Name: ZHANG XIAO YUN
Registrant Organization: LPEARLS
Registrant Street: GUANGZHOU CITY,GUANGDONG PROVINCE
Registrant City: GUANGZHOU
Registrant Postal Code: 510507
Registrant Country: CN
Registrant Phone: +86.2087642246
Registrant Email:

I know a lot of the members here have strong feelings about the "open an oyster" fad. But now real people are being harmed by this and I am posting this thread in hopes that other people considering starting this sort of business will use extra caution when dealing with companies in China that might have no problem ripping off an easy, gullible target.

I'm sorry to read you are having a similar problem. Please post an update if/when your order arrives.

Thank you, I'm going to video record me opening the box and I'll zoom in on the label first just in case I need it.

MyPearls, I have 26 years in shipping and handling experience. I recommend you video and still photograph that package and label, on a scale, showing the package weight ... UNOPENED. That should document the weight of the package versus the contents in case of a dispute. Then do the same photographs of the box and the contents laid out next to the box. Good luck to you; please come back and let us know how you make out.

MyPearls, I have 26 years in shipping and handling experience. I recommend you video and still photograph that package and label, on a scale, showing the package weight ... UNOPENED. That should document the weight of the package versus the contents in case of a dispute. Then do the same photographs of the box and the contents laid out next to the box. Good luck to you; please come back and let us know how you make out.

Great advice that wouldn't have occurred to me. But how sad that we have to guard against fraud in this way.

Hi, everyone. I am new here but speaking of Open an Oyster, the girl who runs that business on facebook is selling supposedly akoya pearls and people are raving over them condemning anyone who claims they are dyed have no idea what they are talking about. Perhaps they may be akoya but I thought if they were dyed, the FTC required a disclosure stating as much. You have people who know little or nothing about pearls purchasing from this woman and its a downright lie about the color. She even acts like she is selling the very oyster that created the pearl which is even a bigger lie. So my concern is she supposedly just did over 1000 orders for her oysters and at $25, it seems someone is making money based on fraud. What am I missing here and does it insult those of you who have real pearl based education. I tend to live and let live but when I see someone base a business on fraud, it bothers me. Its true because she says its true and her minions support that?
The world is a weird place. Thanks for listening to my rant.

ymtrader2015, welcome to Pearl-Guide.

Freshwater pearls (which is what are placed into the saltwater akoya oyster shells) come in natural colors in the lavender/peach/pink/white/cream range, and some are even more exotic. They do not come in natural black colors; those are dyed.

What am I missing here and does it insult those of you who have real pearl based education. I tend to live and let live but when I see someone base a business on fraud, it bothers me.

You are not missing anything. In fact, you got right to the point. It's not an insult per se, because most of us know the truth and have the opportunity to surround ourselves with wonderful gems produced in a sustainable manner by honest farmers or collectors. I don't pity cheapskates expecting a good deal when in fact actually paying an exorbitant markup. The pearls come from Alibaba in buckets or individual packs in of lots of 100. The average price is 1 to 2 dollars. At $20, that's 1000% markup. Absence of disclosure is one thing, but the suggestion of genuine origin and color is fraud.

Apparently the UK has taken a proactive measure, having banned imports of this product entirely.

We have, Dave. Can you give me an authority on that? I'm going to start notifying people and that would be helpful

We have, Dave. Can you give me an authority on that? I'm going to start notifying people and that would be helpful

I noticed this on Alibaba.

"Notice: We won't send this item(6-7mm round akoya) to United Kingdom, please do not place order if you are in UK. "

There must be something in UK statutes that prosecutes importing this product. The Akoya claim perhaps? I noticed their rice pearl product has no notice.

Nothing I know of. Consumer law here would stop people describing freshwater pearls as akoyas but the Flim flam alibaba sellers aren't going to worry about that....
The preserving chemicals..that would be EU wide ..same with postal restrictions on what you can ship...
Anyone any suggestions
I emailed the company to ask btw

I think everyone knows how I feel about this practice... I hate the idea of waste and abuse etc. I do feel bad that so many people are falling prey to this scam. I am sorry and hope Paypal would do the right thing.

I could be way off base here, but I would think Govt agencies would have some interest in this even if just the thought of improper preservation of the shells. Who knows what sort diseases could be transmitted and then the many unsuspecting people handling said shells...

Nothing I know of. Consumer law here would stop people describing freshwater pearls as akoyas but
the Flim flam alibaba sellers aren't going to worry about that....
The preserving chemicals..that would be EU wide ..same with postal restrictions on what you can ship...
Anyone any suggestions
I emailed the company to ask btw

Unfortunately many of the people jumping on this bandwagon are the usual get rich quick types. I know that sounds a bit cynical but when something sounds too good to be true it usually is, and these people are seeing an easy buck

Back