Look at these amazing colors from freshwater edison pearls.

Yens

Community member
Haven't seen high quality Edison Pearls gets posted on here. We would like to share some photos of strands that we came across recently.
Colors like this haven't reached the end consumers quite yet, but sooner or later it will be more available as farmers yield bigger harvest.

P.s. If mods think this is inappropriate or a form of advertising, please go ahead and remove the post. We don't sell direct to end consumers..

20240716_155250.jpg
20240716_154620.jpg
20240716_154747.jpg
20240716_155654.jpg
20240716_130356.jpg
20240716_140414.jpg
20240716_130258.jpg
20240716_130337.jpg

These are beautiful metallic colors and luster!

But are any of them dyed, and could colors therefore fade?
My daughter has an Edison pendant and matching studs obtained from trustworthy sources about 6 years ago that were originally a deep lavender, which have faded a great deal. I believe this indicates they were dyed.

But are any of them dyed, and could colors therefore fade?
My daughter has an Edison pendant and matching studs obtained from trustworthy sources about 6 years ago that were originally a deep lavender, which have faded a great deal. I believe this indicates they were dyed.

These are not dyed and 100% natural color. Mollusk that are older (3yrs+) produce stronger nacre and color.

I have no idea where your daughter bought her pearls, but if it faded, there are other underlying factors that might have caused it.

P.S - Treated color pearls do not fade. The problem with treated color is that it looks awfully fake at first glance.

These pearls are gorgeous. The color and luster is amazing.

Pearl Dreams: I have a gorgeous large pearl drop from Kojima, which was originally dark purple, but has faded to lavender. It's still a gorgeous pearl, but I'm wary of dark purple pearls now. Then again, I did buy a stunning Edison necklace from PP that has a lot of purple pearls in it, but since the strand has a mix of different colors, if some of the purples fade, it won't be noticeable. So far, so good.

Edison pearls are sometimes dyed. And sometimes they aren't. There are threads discussing this. I suggest you read the report by the GIA into their colour treatments.
Yes indeed. Wendy brought this subject up some time ago: HERE

Wendy is correct on this. I have kept some of the fine examples of these pearls from the first few years of production. I exhibited in shows in partnership with the main farmer. The older the pearl is, the more the colour fades.
The examples above are truly beautiful - now. The real question is, as in all of life, will the beauty last.

I wonder if anyone will believe those pearls are real. I know they are but many would not think that could be the colors of real pearls.

Wendy is correct on this. I have kept some of the fine examples of these pearls from the first few years of production. I exhibited in shows in partnership with the main farmer. The older the pearl is, the more the colour fades.
The examples above are truly beautiful - now. The real question is, as in all of life, will the beauty last.
Previous production using younger mollusk have the tendency to fade. This is true.. Also previous productions also have more birthmarks on pearls under the top layer which is very noticeable. Depending on the farm technology, production has gotten real good, but still scarce. Fading also depends on display case (LED doesn't cause fading, halogen or strong UV lights do). Also body oil and sweat are contributing factors as well. So far, we haven't seen fading in top quality edisons.

This isn't a FWP problem. Happens in Golden South Seas as well.

Previous production using younger mollusk have the tendency to fade. This is true.. Also previous productions also have more birthmarks on pearls under the top layer which is very noticeable. Depending on the farm technology, production has gotten real good, but still scarce. Fading also depends on display case (LED doesn't cause fading, halogen or strong UV lights do). Also body oil and sweat are contributing factors as well. So far, we haven't seen fading in top quality edisons.

Mine have been in a locked safe….

Not much light inside there….!

So, the color purple is mainly "pigment" based? Carotenoid?
This would be the case of Melo melo & Conch pearls...their colors are pigment based.

Mine have been kept in a drawer with no light. And worn over clothing, so no body oil or sweat.

GORGEOUS!

So, the color purple is mainly "pigment" based? Carotenoid?
This would be the case of Melo melo & Conch pearls...their colors are pigment based.
Purple results from the thinnest epithelial structures. The best example being most bivalves present as purple along the margins where two shells meet.

Proteins indeed play a role, but much of the purple colour is perceived by the flat orientation of aragonite in a minimal space. Colourful iridescence stems from more irregular orientations and thicker nacre.

I believe the pearls in these pictures are of natural color and they look absolutely beautiful. Like a few of us experienced, I too have a strand of glorious and colorful Edison pearls, and I posted it in this forum a couple years ago — they do not look like that any more. I have never worn them one single time, and they were always stored in a velvet jewelry box with no access to any kind of light unless when I occassionally opened that box. Fading and loss of luster seems unevitable with this kind of pearl. I hope these super size top quality ones are far more durable, but I won't dare to pay until they prove to last.

Last edited:
Purple results from the thinnest epithelial structures. The best example being most bivalves present as purple along the margins where two shells meet.

Proteins indeed play a role, but much of the purple colour is perceived by the flat orientation of aragonite in a minimal space. Colourful iridescence stems from more irregular orientations and thicker nacre.
Maybe this explains why in mixed colored strands of high luster freshwater pearls, the purple ones (my favorite) always appear slightly less lustrous than the other colors.

Back