Lilac and blue dyes and 'pinked' treatments in freshwater pearls

Adeline Leigh

I have two questions regarding dyes and treatments in the Chinese freshwater pearls of recent harvests. Someone had asked if these pearls had been treated and I want to answer with all honesty.

I've emailed my supplier and she swears they are natural and very rare, hence her asking price on these some years back. I've peered down the drill hole with a loupe and I can't see any evidence of dye. Can the experts advise if these colours are natural? Do the Chinese have such know-how now as to dye pearls in this intriguing shade without leaving a trace?

Second question, apart from the dye, have these been irradiated or pinked? Can such orient and overtone come about from treatments and coatings?

Let me know if I should get a picture of the drill hole too.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 50
Am I glad I checked back before I turn in. Yay, Sven, your comment makes me happy that I have not lied. Amrita, you who have seen more pearls than I, happy for you to concur too.

Sven, please post your beauties from FB on this thread. They deserve to be seen :D

How beautiful! loooove......

They look natural in color to me. Generally producers will use peach color pearls to irradiate.. and the outcome is silver in color. (which is NOT to say that all silver/grey Chinese fresh water pearls have been irradiated.. some have been simply dyed that color)
It would be very difficult to dye pearls to have these variations in color, as most dying is done in "vats".. (or buckets).. the dyed color generally comes out more even than nature meant it to be. I usually refer people to a Chinese fresh water pearl shell to point out that the inside of the shell is very rarely ONE color, instead a gentle blend of many tones. They look gorgeous and she is correct .. it would be almost impossible to find these particular colors if you went looking for them.. they are blessings when they fall into your hands!
Lovely Adeline!

Back