Lavender Edisons

Abi

Hello everybody :)
I just had gotten this pretty lavender edison strand from a vendor?

Can y'all try to help me confirm whether these are natural color or were dyed? I know lavender can be a natural color of fwp , but I wanted to confirm because the surface...oh maybe they're "rippley"?
I usually get tahitians from them, but they had just gotten these in and I found them to be pretty :).
Thank you in advance!
I am not a great photographer :/
20170601_163724.jpg
20170601_163941.jpg20170601_163901.jpg

Here is another picture....
IMG_20170601_170444_914.jpg

I don't think there's any reason to suspect they were dyed. That's a very common shade of lavender.

That rippled texture you see, sort of like hammered metal -- It's a sign of thick nacre.

Yes, natural colour These days there are lots of bead nucleated freshwaters around (Only pearls from Grace Pearl should really be called Edisons). The rest of the bead nuked big pearls are usually called Ming Pearls. Lighter shades of peach, gold, pink and lavender are fairly common, even in decent quality. It is the strong dark colours which are still really rare and correspondingly expensive (deep raspberry pinks, mauves, purples etc)

Yes, natural colour These days there are lots of bead nucleated freshwaters around (Only pearls from Grace Pearl should really be called Edisons). The rest of the bead nuked big pearls are usually called Ming Pearls. Lighter shades of peach, gold, pink and lavender are fairly common, even in decent quality. It is the strong dark colours which are still really rare and correspondingly expensive (deep raspberry pinks, mauves, purples etc)
Hi Pearlescence,
Is the one in the middle considered a deep purple, or a deep lavender?
20170601_221202.jpg

Last edited:
It is deeper certainly compared to the other strands. But there are also strands of much deeper lavender/purple...but a rose is a rose, so no matter what you call it...I call it stunning.

Hi JP!
I remembered that I saw a picture of Icyjade's incredible purple strand floating around PG.
Such a treat for my eyes!

I woke up this morning and I still was ooohing and aaahing my choice of strand. My husband reminded me that I found the darker purple strand had more blemishes than I preferred. I no longer feel any qualms in my choice :D.

The first thing I did this morning (after one more oo and ahh) was head to Pattye's etsy site to acquire some of her purple/lavender/violet beader's secret.

Someone on PG told me stringing could be addicting... and they were incredibly right.

I don't know why I was so scared in doing it before.

Plus, I love messaging Pattye :).

Thank you again!

Last edited:
This is purple p round purple mings 9.5-10.5 4871.JPG
and here are some more purples 2590amy
RHAmethyst 02
purple 3.jpeg
This was a strand from Jack Lynch of Sea Hunt pearlspurple 5.jpg
And this strand is mine purple 4.jpg..it was love and must have at first sight

This is purple View attachment 51750
and here are some more purples View attachment 51751
View attachment 51752
View attachment 51753
This was a strand from Jack Lynch of Sea Hunt pearlsView attachment 51754
And this strand is mine View attachment 51755..it was love and must have at first sight

Your strand looks amazing!
I have definitely never seen such natural deep purple strands like those. I think I added another strand color to my pearl wish list :).
I also acquired 1 pair of loose lavender pearls, as well as a purple pair.
It was great looking at all the different purple shades.
The pearls I was picking through
20170601_124244.jpg
20170601_124247.jpg

I went home with these:
20170602_071215.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170602_072957_603.jpg
    IMG_20170602_072957_603.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 63
True good purples are very rare. I got my strand the sept hong kong before last and haven't seen any more that colour since. I think there were about 20 between two sellers.
You have to watch all lavenders that they don't have muddy browns - there are more of those around

Abi, stringing is addicting, isn't it. But it's so much fun to play with the pearls and then get to wear them. We want neck shots when you're ready!

Pearlescence,
Did you get your beautiful strand from one of the tradeshows in HK, or a vendor there?
Thank you for the tip about the muddy brown lavenders! I'll keep a watch out for them when I'm looking to make a bracelet.

I think you and icyjade have the dreamiest purple necklaces I've ever laid eyes on.

I'm glad such strands are in a pearl loving hands.

Abi, stringing is addicting, isn't it. But it's so much fun to play with the pearls and then get to wear them. We want neck shots when you're ready!

Hi Bweaves! I'm definitely with you on that note! I shall try posting pictures when it's ready :D.

I could have sold it many times over! But it was love at first sight. It was from one of the wholesalers before the HK show

Abi, what fabulous pearl choices! yes, so many colors in the lavender to purple range. How large are your new pearls? Terrific to be able to choose in person! Will you do stud earrings with the pair?

That strand in the middle with the unusual purple color, looks like light purple with green overtones, one of the more rare combos. Sometimes the pearls appear almost deep silver, and can be quite changeable, depending on the light.

Abi, what fabulous pearl choices! yes, so many colors in the lavender to purple range. How large are your new pearls? Terrific to be able to choose in person! Will you do stud earrings with the pair?

That strand in the middle with the unusual purple color, looks like light purple with green overtones, one of the more rare combos. Sometimes the pearls appear almost deep silver, and can be quite changeable, depending on the light.

Hi Pattye!
The strand I have (as well as the others in the pictures) is 9-11mm.

I shall be doing a studs :D.

I could have sold it many times over! But it was love at first sight. It was from one of the wholesalers before the HK show

What a great find!!

Beautiful photos Wendy !
Abi - lovely strands ! I do love purples / lavenders!

I didn't realize how much I would like them until now.

Back