Keshi pearl valuation

Pearls are always worth what someone else will pay for them.
Some farms sell direct to makers or retailers or to end users. You'd have to spend some time setting up a website and sorting out taking money and shipping stuff. It depends how independent you want to be
It would be very nice to do that. The lack of experience/knowledge and fear of losing money "online" is what held the family from attempting to set up such channel. Well, seems like it would be up to me to learn.

Is there a market for loose pearls online though? Most seem to be product for end users...

For this "evolved production of keshi". I assumed you refer to turning them into jewelry?
Rather, tissue nucleation and predictable symmetry. About 20-25 years ago there was considerable work done with P. Maxima, likely under Chinese direction if not ownership, with the objective of obtaining natural saltwater certification. This was reported by the gem labs, who were initially fooled. But the rather massive fraud paved the way for an improved and more predictable keshi technology. Increasing awareness and quality of keshi can be observed on this forum and elsewhere in the years following.

While CIBJO correctly defines keshi as either intentional or unintentional, the industry makes no effort to discourage the continuing belief that they are only accidental. Those who master the craft and produce great Keshi appear to be only too happy to keep it that way!

Last edited:
Rather, tissue nucleation and predictable symmetry. About 20-25 years ago there was considerable work done with P. Maxima, likely under Chinese direction if not ownership, with the objective of obtaining natural saltwater certification. This was reported by the gem labs, who were initially fooled. But the rather massive fraud paved the way for an improved and more predictable keshi technology. Increasing awareness and quality of keshi can be obsesrved on this forum and elsewhere in the years following.

While CIBJO correctly defines keshi as either intentional or unintentional, the industry makes no effort to discourage the continuing belief that they are only accidental. Those who master the craft and produce great Keshi appear to be only too happy to keep it that way!
Everyday I learn something new. Quite a wild idea to pass of keshi as natural pearl, though I can understand the incentive behind such effort... I managed to find this paper that probably refer to the incident you mentioned, but I cannot find much on "how" to improve the keshi itself. I guess that's expected? Hehe

I suppose thinking keshi as only unintentional does imply higher rarity. Still to think that intentionally producing keshi could be economically viable or even more competitive to producing beaded pearls, that's new. Most of the sales from the farm is usually on per gram basis. Hence keshi with its smaller size and volume got overlooked.

There is certainly a market...during covid we were buying direct, either from farms, or some producers started selling online by web page or by online auction. The most important thing with selling online is your reputation. You must be honest and straightforward with your customers.

It would be very nice to do that. The lack of experience/knowledge and fear of losing money "online" is what held the family from attempting to set up such channel. Well, seems like it would be up to me to learn.

Is there a market for loose pearls online though? Most seem to be product for end users...
I would recommend you invest in selling jewelry, alongside unset pearls. Invest little, sell it and then reinvest the money in having more jewelry products.
Some settings (rings) involve more metal (gold, silver) so maybe you would start with small pendants, bracelets, earrings and necklaces in order to minimize your initial investment.
This is what we did back in 1996 so we could sell "Cortez Pearls" jewelry and have a better income for the farm.

Everyday I learn something new. Quite a wild idea to pass of keshi as natural pearl, though I can understand the incentive behind such effort... I managed to find this paper that probably refer to the incident you mentioned, but I cannot find much on "how" to improve the keshi itself. I guess that's expected? Hehe
Yes that's it. I watched this episode in real time and subsequently spent 10 years away from pearls. When I returned here, it was more than a little surprising to find it had been relegated to a footnote in pearl history.

Last edited:

I suppose thinking keshi as only unintentional does imply higher rarity. Still to think that intentionally producing keshi could be economically viable or even more competitive to producing beaded pearls, that's new. Most of the sales from the farm is usually on per gram basis. Hence keshi with its smaller size and volume got overlooked.
Yes, but as an example: Cortez Keshi pearls are more valuable than Cortez beaded pearls...on a gram per gram basis.
It would make more sense to grow Keshi pearls than cultured beaded pearls there, since the pearl oyster species is so small and its pearl sac so restricted.

There is certainly a market...during covid we were buying direct, either from farms, or some producers started selling online by web page or by online auction. The most important thing with selling online is your reputation. You must be honest and straightforward with your customers.
I would recommend you invest in selling jewelry, alongside unset pearls. Invest little, sell it and then reinvest the money in having more jewelry products.
Some settings (rings) involve more metal (gold, silver) so maybe you would start with small pendants, bracelets, earrings and necklaces in order to minimize your initial investment.
This is what we did back in 1996 so we could sell "Cortez Pearls" jewelry and have a better income for the farm.
I appreciate the advice, I'll look into it. Given where we are located logistics would also be a challenge (midst of nowhere in Eastern Indonesia). But yes, the discussion by far give me some confidence to try. Thank you!

We are all here to HELP & SHARE @jevont
Thank you for joining us...and I do hope you also take the time to share and help with your expertise: as a pearl farmer, you have much to share.

Back