Just let me bead....

kojimapearl

Here is what I am convinced is the proof that there is a genius bead worker (and pattern designer) living among us in Old Mystic, Connecticut.
I met Laura McCabe at the booth of Gary Wilson (who is a genius as well, but for other reasons).. and she showed me several of her original designs... and after seeing tonnes of jewelry and being in Tucson show for more than a week.. I was stunned!
I bought this bead right away , and I have been holding onto it until today when I finally made a necklace out of it. The bead itself is about 2 inches wide.. and yes it is sharp! The "spikes" of savannah jasper are not backed.. they are completely encased in small gold, and glass beads and tiny pearls. The necklace is a total of 37" and includes Japan Akoya (6-7mm), Kamoka black pearls (10mm), and tiny white Chinese fresh water pearls.
It actually takes a lot for me to use "genius" in relation to bead work... but I think the fact that Laura makes her living doing seed bead work and traveling around the world teaching others to do the same.. pretty much sums it up!
www.justletmebead.com

I hope you enjoy her pieces as much as I do... even if they are a bit sharp for your taste.. I hope you will appreciate the mix of her imagination and talent! ( I should probably mention that she is really humble and sweet)
More power to people like Laura!

Attachments

• laura1.jpg
    laura1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 54
  • laura2.jpg
    laura2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 52
Spikey!!! I love love love it, and the necklace you made sets it off perfectly, Sarah. I've seen Laura's work before - she really is a genius...

Sheri

Lovely and fun piece. Wonderful creative Vision!

Thats quite a piece. Almost like where would beads go if Escher drew them. A sensational job of supporting the focal piece, with the same strength of design, without taking over from it.

I can't help but admire the piece, but more so the perfectly lit and stunning photograph. It's seemingly effortless, but clearly shows a mastery of pearl photography. One of the great pleasures of Sarah's website is the sheer joy of perusing the pearl photos.

You know you're in good hands when the image plants the seeds of desire! ;)

Back