just for fun...playing dress-up, courtesy of TPO

I bought the 60" multi color rope (which I love!), but now I'm kicking myself for not getting the white 100" as well. At the time, I was thinking I don't really need two ropes. I should have known better!

Elisa, your pearls and pictures are beautiful. The strand looks elegant on you.

Welcome to the forum, Elisa.

You do look very sexy in that outfit and I can see why Terry wants your photo! Very nice, thanks!

Hi Mervione,
The ad. is for freshwater pearls too. ;)

Now there's a thought, Mervione! ...anyone feel like sending me a 100 inch akoya rope?? ;)

Ha Ha!
Nice one, Elisa. ( mopping up the tea spilt whilst reading your post ) :D

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between a 100" Akoya rope and a 100" Freshwater rope without a closeup... Even then, with a high end Freshwater rope, there would still be no visible difference between the two.

I think I?d be able to tell the different between a high-end freshwater rope and an akoya rope, if the grades were the same. And if you can?t tell the difference (which you can if the grades are the same because akoya pearls will have a sharper luster and be more round than freshwaters of the same quality.) then why buy akoya? They?re just more expensive. I think it?s better to put pictures of both akoya and freshwaters of both AA+ and AAA grade for comparision, close up and from a distance. Maybe it?s just me though?

As a costumer I wouldn?t want to buy an akoya rope if I knew the picture was of a freshwater rope. It doesn?t matter that I wouldn?t be able to tell the difference, it just feels wrong.

See this picture? It shows the high end of freshwater AAA(gem quality) and the high end of akoya AAA (hanadama)

Guess which one is which.

Attachments

• freshwater%20and%20akoya.JPG
    freshwater%20and%20akoya.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 66
Elisa, would this sort of a pendant(enhancer) be too modern for your strand? It has a clasp, so you can attach it to the strand or use it separately. It is quite big in fact, can be compared in size with the one Lina Cavalieri has. Here it is:

MabehangerPF-vi.jpg

Drop me a line if you want it, I know where they sell them.

Olga

Lowest is freshwater and the one at the top is akoya. I?ve seen that picture before, and I have to say that in this picture the freshwater have greater luster, but from what I?ve been reading about the differences between akoya and freshwater (and from most pictures I?ve seen.) akoyas of the same grade have a sharper luster than freshwater. So I think that, in most cases, akoyas have a sharper luster if they?re of the same grade.

You got it.
So far about 90% of the people who guessed, guessed wrong. Now the picture is all over this site with the correct answer, so many more people know which is which.

It is my understanding that lower grade akoyas get luster enhancing treatments. That treatment on top of the thin skins in the lower grade akoyas, may fool eBayers, so we are lucky that the akoyas sold through our favorite sellers have thicker skins. I don't what treatments they get in China, but I have heard that when they go to Japan, they get a lot more treatments, most of them secret.

The standard for akoya nacre thickness has steadily gone down since the early days of cultured pearls, but even those earliest cultured akoyas wear through if they get a lot of wear over 30-40 years. I have seen a lot of those in my husband's family who started buying cultured akoyas about the time they first went on sale early last century, through the fifties. They all need many pearls replaced. The wear around the drill holes with the bead showing through make them look like fake pearls. And the luster on all of them is not new and sharp looking either. Water is inimical to akoyas, as well. Water undoes all the treatments to tighten them against the bead.

Compared to natural wild pearls, they are fake pearls, which is why one should always use "cultured" in front of the name of the pearls. Not to do do is actually illegal and unethical for sellers.

Remember, the pejorative term for thin skinned akoya pearls with bead nuclei is "PPB" (pearl plated beads)

Hi Mervione,

I have seen lots of pearls now in person, and it is very difficult to tell, in many cases, akoya from freshwater, and I would not presume I would be able to easily tell which was which. Terry is using the photos to show ways to wear the rope, and offering both types of pearls, so there is no intention to mislead anyone.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I?ve been reading at a few places on this forum that the akoyas usually have a higher luster because of the colder water where they?re being grown. If that?s the case then maybe the difference isn?t big enough to be noticable. If so, then why even buy akoya? There must be some kind of reason except for lack of knowledge.

I`m still standing by my opinion that it feels wrong to use a picture of freshwater for both freshwater and akoyastrands. Even if there?s no difference should still have an akoya strand to compare with. Maybe to see that freshwater are more worth their price.

I got the understanding that he was using the picture to show what the product looks like, even if they weren?t there to show I think you should put a picture of the products there, so the costumer can see, even if only for the sake of principle. I think most will think that they?ll get what they see in the picture anyway... They wont know that it?s just there to show how to wear a rope.

No hard feelings, just trying to understand.

Do yu guys expect to see clasps on such long ropes? What's the use?

Hi guys, all of this is valid input. pattye is absolutely correct that the photo is there to show different ways to wear the rope. If there were to be a picture for each size, length, type, and quality available on that one product page, there would need to be exactly 224 pictures.

2 Gold types x 4 Body and Overtone colors x 2 lengths x 14 types, sizes, and qualities.

And that is simplified. We literally offer millions of different combinations on our site. However, when we?re selling just a freshwater pearl necklace, we use a picture of freshwater pearls. When selling an Akoya pearl necklace, we use a picture of Akoya pearls. The ropes are the one exception.

It is true that Akoya pearls tend to be more round than freshwater pearls. The exception is generally found in high-end, round, freshwater pearls. We color-code the hanks on our high-end freshwater pearls just so we can quickly distinguish between them and our Akoya pearls.

So why buy Akoya pearls? They are generally more valuable, and not everyone has as high of standards in freshwater pearls. The market is moving more toward freshwater pearls as qualities and sizes increase. You certainly can get more "bang for the buck" with high-quality freshwater pearls than nearly any other pearl type.

Also worthy of note is that not all Akoya pearls are grown in cold water, and colder water is not the only contributor to luster. One particularly glaring example are Vietnamese Akoya pearls. These are grown in relatively warm water compared to Japan, and yet the gem-quality pearls we source there are so lustrous, they look like they're wet. And this is without all the processing that the Japanese and Chinese Akoya pearls go through.

Good point Valeria. We often have customers request these without a clasp. I'll add another 224 combinations by adding an option for no clasp.

Back