Jewelry design

Yay! I am a big fan of Barbara Heinrich, in general...and love the imagination in her piece here. Of course I am also transfixed by a few others. Melo melo, anyone? How about some wheat?

I voted for Barbara Heinrich.
I loved the Mikimoto Conch ring too.

Yvel of the wheat is an Israeli company.

Yes, that Mikimoto ring is pretty amazing, I agree. There are some nice designs on the newcomers page as well as the gold page. (I'm sure on other pages too, that's just as far as I have gotten.)

Even though it is Miki, love the conch. Have to give Barbara Heinrich rave reviews for creativity of materials, originality of design, proportion, and workmanship. But I'm sorry about poor Thumper and I just couldn't bare to gaze at it. (Mollusc survival rate, don't go there, I like my fantasy world.) I wish she had substituted feathers. Everything else is ordinary or a variation of another piece. So the winner is, Wheat!

Even though it is Miki, love the conch. Have to give Barbara Heinrich rave reviews for creativity of materials, originality of design, proportion, and workmanship. But I'm sorry about poor Thumper and I just couldn't bare to gaze at it. (Mollusc survival rate, don't go there, I like my fantasy world.) I wish she had substituted feathers.

100% agree with every word, knotty.
When I looked at the designs, the pendant was on the lower part of the page and I could not read the details.

Even though it is Miki, love the conch. Have to give Barbara Heinrich rave reviews for creativity of materials, originality of design, proportion, and workmanship. But I'm sorry about poor Thumper and I just couldn't bare to gaze at it. (Mollusc survival rate, don't go there, I like my fantasy world.) I wish she had substituted feathers. Everything else is ordinary or a variation of another piece. So the winner is, Wheat!

Even though I voted for Barbara Heinrich's piece, I close my eyes and sing "LALALA" loudly when I think about the survival rate...and thumper in this case. I fully understand going for the Wheat in that light. :eek:

Random aside - I am actually familiar with her work in colored gemstones which is gorgeous, so it's quite refreshing to see her creativity with pearls.

I accidently clicked something I didn't want to vote for trying to enlarge the photo--oh well, you folks will cancel out my vote hopefully--what an interesting site, I could have offered Barbara Heinrich her choice from a large selection of dandelion fluff in place of Thumper's fur-----

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Pattye,

Try to click on the one you want, the first vote will be canceled. The same happened to me.

A peal bracelet by J Jewels in the 'Newcomers' ;) section is my winner because I have not seen that idea done a thousand times, otherwise it would have been hard to break the tie between 3-4 in the mainstream Pearl section :(...

To me, Lisa Sheldon's bracellet takes the cake of the entire show... Gotta have one like that!

Several of the designs used carved or etched mother of pearl--however it didn't seem to lower the wholesale value of the jewelry piece!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

My favourite one from the newcomers' section are the hoops by Joseph Murray. Love the colors and shape of the peridot and zircon and how the 18k gold wire entwines itself through the beads! Mmmm, would look gorgeous with a blue-green silk outfit!:)
Just editing to say thanks to Nora for posting this link here. It is not only fun but also gives a great opportunity to all here to see the creativity of jewellery designers. Thanks!

Yes, that is pretty, even though there are no pearls. It's also very "inspirational" if you want to make yourself a more affordable version. Blue topaz briolettes would work with the peridot, a little wire, and a half-hoop frame. I've never seen blue-zircon that color before. Very becoming.

But scroll down to the bottom left of that page. Is it a brooch? Is it a pendant? Or is it just the ugliest thing this side of a diamond-studded skull you've ever seen?

I didn't like any of the pearl designs. So I didn't vote.

Amrita and Pattye, I'm happy that I could add something to amuse you a bit......

Amrita and Knotty, I also voted for Joseph Murray in the newcomers section.

How about the gold section? What did you choose?
In spite of the fact that I am an old fan of Lalaounis, I voted for Gurhan, because I love pieces of jewelry that have a presence and make a statement.

In the Haute Couture section I couldn't decide between Kuwayama and Jarretiere (very different from each other).
In colored stones I liked the Atelier Zobel ring.

Mikeyy, you could vote in the other sections. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I likewise voted for Gurhan in the gold section. The combination of craft and materials use in the design were really successful, in my opinion.

Has anyone voted in the Haute Couture section yet? I was impressed by the imagination and execution in Staurino Fratelli's creation. Something about it said pure 'haute couture" to me.

I wasn't thrilled enough by anything in the Bridal section to vote on it yet...I'll have to revisit that later. Thoughts anyone??

Hi! I visited this website again today - seems like a few more designs have been added. Heidi, the Fratelli creation on the Haute Couture page is quite intriguing, but I voted for Kuwayama, which I think is a pretty creation with SS and Akoya pearls in it. You are right about the bridal section, nothing really eye-catching, except maybe Sonya Ooten's earrings which do seem a lot of patient hard work with the crocheted gold wire and diamonds!

Nora, I had voted for Anu's hoops in the gold section. I loved them!

Hi Amrita,

Thanks for pointing out the new updates.

The Anu's hoops remind me of pieces by H.Stern some years back as well as the Lalaounis nature collection in gold (without the diamonds).

How about Coomi bracelet or Julie Baker cuff ?

How about voting now for the ugliest design? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fun thread!
Gold- Calgaro with the Soliel Collection- the way that shimmers in the sun! Coomi was a very very close 2nd Place, but since the voting was for 'gold' I decided those gorgeous Citrines were cheating! ;)
Platinum: Tom Munsteiner (love love love his stones!)
Silver- didn't like much at all
Diamonds: La Reina Collection- oxidized titanium and diamond Rose Brooch with Canary centre stone
Natural Color- Todd Reed - always wearable!
Gemstones- Such a toughie!! the Di Modelo Green Tourmaline Cab ring in Rose Gold- OOOOHHHH.
Pearls- Gotta go with Yvel !!
Bridal- boring category, but Katherine James. If you're gonna wear it for life, it should be a classic
Haute Couture: Kuwayama!!!! How whimsical and gorgeous is that? The attention to detail and overall configuration of the piece makes it larger than life, and definitely Haute
Newcomers: Hmmm- Eh.

Ugliest design, personally, I have 2. In the Bridal Collection- Paul Morelli
and in Newcomers- SHO Design

Back