If you could do it over again - what would your very first pearl purchase be?

It really is great to get that feeling, when you've indulged enough to find out what you do actually wear. I'm almost there, although I've mostly indulged vicariously on PG photos (or thrift store).

I bet a lot of people are going to streak over to your profile to look for a photo album ;-)

If I had it to do over again, I think I'd do it the same way. My first pearls were a 36" AAA white freshwater strand, 8mm, I think, and stud earrings a bit larger. I requested them as an anniversary present from my husband. I don't wear them that often but they are still the classic and classy. Whenever I get dressed up, I always have something that will go with my outfit and look good. And of course, they can be worn more casually as well. I think they are the most versatile.

Also, I've seen lots of secondhand akoyas of the type you want on ebay, some at great bargain prices. From what I hear (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the old ones tend to have thicker nacre so they may hold up better too. I think they tend to turn a bit more champagne-ish in color over time but that looks great on some skin tones and some people prefer it. It's likely you'd want to get them restrung. But if you posted any you were considering on here, you'd probably get some great advice as to their authenticity and value. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have sang the "Happy Birthday to me..." last Sept to my Husband for Sea of Cortez pearl ...didn't work...so I am going to sing "all I want for Christmas is ...." , maybe it will work this time, ...hey a girl can dream can't she....lol I hear you Katbran... lol....

I have sang the "Happy Birthday to me..." last Sept to my Husband for Sea of Cortez pearl ...didn't work...so I am going to sing "all I want for Christmas is ...." , maybe it will work this time, ...hey a girl can dream can't she....lol I hear you Katbran... lol....
Oh, ;-) too funny, ( LOL ) funny. I guess people all over the world are singing to their loved ones for pearls (delighted laughter)

Last edited:
Well, just wanted to say thanks (sort of) again for the diamond bistro info. I saw a number of familiar user names (cough! BAS),

even recognized one PGposter from a long time ago (cough, cough! Acksim , you and your darn pretty PP lavenders, sheesh). (She took more photos on a white background)

JUST what I need, more late night temptation. Well, I did ask for it. Remember people, Ambien is a Dis-inhibitor, if you're going to pearl-gaze after taking one. Sigh.

Last edited:
BTW, I didn't succumb to Acksim's lavender earrings and necklace --- they're still there.

Gee, fair amount of temptation over at diamond bistro... can be a fast moving marketplace at times, some bargains...!

Last edited:
Hello: This is an interesting thread. It has got me thinking too.
My "learned" opinion is that sometimes the most pricey thing ends up not being the favourite.
I have two tahitian strands, both baroque strands, but one is twice as expensive as the other. The "cheap" one is a playful, multicoloured strand with pearls of VERY differing colours, and with some pronounced rings and interesting shapes. It confounds me a bit, (or makes me smile ironically), that this playful strand (much like the joyful lady who sold it to me; Sarah from Kojima) is the one I always grab to wear. It is just that bit less "formal", yet it is a strand of very cool pearls none-the-less.
My style is not polished and perfect, so really, my favourite pearl strand is like me.
Think about what you wear every day, and how often you will wear your pearls.
I love my fancy strand, and have worn it "nestled" with the playful strand; they look great together.
But, in general, Sarah's tahitians are the ones I grab for "everyday" wear.
I would not have expected that.
Cheers to my pearl buddies.
Linda.

My son married a lovely woman last month and I was privileged to help select her pearl wedding set. We went with ivory freshadamas from Pearl Paradise, carefully selected by Hisano to match her dress. Her set consisted of: An 18" necklace of 8.5-9mm pearls, a double strand of 6.5-7mm for the bracelet, and 10mm drop earrings with an accent diamond. Since she works with babies and young children, I also purchased a matching pair of 8.5-9mm freshadama studs.

I think these pearls will give her a great foundation for her pearl wardrobe. She said they will be known forever as the wedding pearls! Pearl Paradise 18 necklace of 8.5-9mm pearls, a double strand of 6.5-7mm for the bracelet, and 10mm drop earrings with an accent diamondwearing freshadama pearls at wedding

Awww. That is such a thoughtful and beautiful gift from you, Red! A classic custom set she can wear forever. I wish them a lifetime of happiness!

Wonderful! I am entranced by the drape of the bracelet and the earrings are very becoming. :cool:

Back