Ideas for how to use a pearl tassel

Elias

Hello everyone,

I have this tassel made of dyed black pearls and small white ones. The top is of brushed 18k gold and a line of diamonds. I removed it from a very large necklace made of black wood beads with a large black stone dragons oriental themed medallion. I don't want to use the beads or the black carved stone.
I really want any idea of how to do a nice necklace with this part at the end. I was thinking of white simple pearls, do you think it is a good match?
If you think the tassel is ugly I welcome your opinion also, maybe I should not use it. Any advice or opinion is welcome.

Thank you,

Elias

Attachments

• 20240614_021453.jpg
    20240614_021453.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
G'day Elias!
Tassels are not ugly. But they are not your everyday item either.
Some years ago I met a person from Africa and she had this beautiful tassel...quite large!
So, why not?
It would make a statement!

That tassel cap has a very attractive rustic look. As for replacement pearls much depends on your budget. Seed (under 2mm) pearls or small keshi would provide much richer appearance than the original. Gold would be great.

As I'm not aware of another tassel thread here at P-G I'll add to this one.

Tassels are in my focus for a project involving Poe Pipi. I was waiting for further design work to post this in the Pinctada Maculata thread, but will put a link there.

What to do with 80+ carats of natural pearl nacre in the form of myriad baroque shapes, sizes and shades of gold? With a penchant for pendants, a graduated tassel has been our conclusion. The concept: A whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Cap metal choice is still undecided, to be embedded with scattered pipi pearls and diamonds.

Attachments

• Tassel.jpg
    Tassel.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Cortezpearls, Thank you, I saw some ideas online and you are right. But what about the necklace? Or should I just use a plaina gold chain?

SteveM that will be very beautiful. If I was you I wouldn't have a doubt that the metal should be yellow gold, because of the beautiful gold tones of the pearls. But what about the necklace? How would you set your tassel when done?

For us it will be a chain, a hefty weave like foxtail. In another thread just yesterday yellow vs. white metal for gold pearls came up, with mixed opinions. I tend towards white for this, especially as the cap will have the gold pearls embedded which would tend to disappear. But my avatar is a gold pearl ring with 18K yellow gold and yellow sapphires, and that also works.

SteveM, I understand completely your point. I'm not a pearl expert, but I'm buying and selling jewelry for some time now. For pearls I allways seek help here. I keep everything I love and sell what I don't to buy more. Branded jewelry is what maintains more invested value here. And here mainly French and some Italian brands are the favorites so I usually go to their esthetic, I'm used to it. That's why I said yellow gold because that is what these brands would do. But I'm sure that you cannot go wrong because the project is very beautiful.

Elias, thanks and that makes sense. As for jewelry, I'm a work in progress.

If you decide on small golden pearls for your tassel I could provide a lead.

That tassel cap has a very attractive rustic look. As for replacement pearls much depends on your budget. Seed (under 2mm) pearls or small keshi would provide much richer appearance than the original. Gold would be great.

As I'm not aware of another tassel thread here at P-G I'll add to this one.

Tassels are in my focus for a project involving Poe Pipi. I was waiting for further design work to post this in the Pinctada Maculata thread, but will put a link there.

What to do with 80+ carats of natural pearl nacre in the form of myriad baroque shapes, sizes and shades of gold? With a penchant for pendants, a graduated tassel has been our conclusion. The concept: A whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Cap metal choice is still undecided, to be embedded with scattered pipi pearls and diamonds.
I really like the project and I also believe smaller pearls would be much better for this job!

Elias,

I've since discovered a mine of threads here on tassels over the years. Search 'tassel' in thread titles.

What about your bail? Are you considering an enhancer? The clasp on the attached piece would accommodate ours, in addition to the aforementioned chain, strand of GSS, etc.

Weight of opinion has come down on the side of yellow gold for our cap.

Attachments

• TePoeSidePP.png
    TePoeSidePP.png
    8 MB · Views: 70
Elias,

I've since discovered a mine of threads here on tassels over the years. Search 'tassel' in thread titles.

What about your bail? Are you considering an enhancer? The clasp on the attached piece would accommodate ours, in addition to the aforementioned chain, strand of GSS, etc.

Weight of opinion has come down on the side of yellow gold for our cap.
I think YG will look fantastic for your tassel.

SteveM, thank you for the tip i will search for tassel here. About the bail I want an integrated one like if the thread ou chain goes through it. Here is a picture of the two holes in the top of the tassel where I will try to do something. I attach also how the necklace was before, to me very very ugly but without bail, just like i want to do. It was very large.
I'm glad that yellow gold is winning. In the high end jewelry isn't unusual to mix metals. If a necklace is platinum or white gold they set colored gemstones in yellow gold. Also if the main metal is yellow gold they set diamonds in white gold.

Attachments

• 20240620_012345.jpg
    20240620_012345.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20240620_012714_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240620_012714_WhatsApp.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 51
About the bail I want an integrated one like if the thread ou chain goes through it. Here is a picture of the two holes in the top of the tassel where I will try to do something.
Additionally it would seem quite difficult to create a bail that would successfully match that cap.

I don't think it's so difficult. Here are two examples of brushed gold made by h. Stern. They are both removable. The smaller one you can even change the pendant before attach to a necklace.

Attachments

• 20240622_180511.jpg
    20240622_180511.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20240622_180432.jpg
    20240622_180432.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OK so bail is an option for you. Looking forward to seeing your ideas on integrated stringing or chain without bail.

Our jeweler has determined that what we are wanting is a hinged bail. This will preserve a two-sided presentation.

Back