I want to buy a large loose pearl

P

poppy

Hello Experts,

I recently found a very lovely pearl ring at a jewely/art show while on vacation in Maine. The problem is that the setting alone is $500...without the pearl. He gave me some prices for some different size and color pearls to choose from. After doing some research on pearl price, I think it is more cost effective to find and buy the pearl myself. The jeweler will drill and set the pearl in his beautiful setting.

I want a white or black pearl 12-13mm or larger. It does not need to be 100% perfect, meaning, I do not want a baroque pearl, but some variation is okay. I would rather it look like a natural pearl rather than a shiny manmade bead.

Where should I look online for well priced loose pearls? I am assuming that I should be looking for Tahitian or South Sea Pearls considering the size I am looking for. Is that correct? Are there any other options in this size. What should I expect to pay for the pearl I have described?

Also, I live in New York. Are there any reputable places to look for the pearl in Manhattan?

I am of course looking for the most rock bottom price for a nice, but not perfect, single large pearl.

Best,
Melissa

Hi Melissa,

You may try a large freshwater cultured pearl. Large sizes are not that hard to find if you are looking for just one rather than a matched strand. They are also available in very unusual colors.

Zeide

great idea. Where should I look for these large loose fresh water pearls?

Hi Melissa,

I bet several of the forum sellers here have an unmatchable large single lying around. Forum member Sam in the Philippines may also be able to find one in Greenhills. However, the international payment process is probably too tedious and expensive to justify buying only one.

Zeide

Back