I need some info on 2 strands of pearls.

Hi Bums,

The gold clasp pearls with the 750 and M in shield does look like Mikimoto to me too but if you intend to list on eBay and get the best price from eBay you need to take good photos, equal or better than those you have taken last and show all from clasp to pearls, close up and further away and always cropped so ppl can get a good look at pearls etc. The more top photos you list the better the price you will get. Post bad photos and you will get a lower end price. i.e. $300 plus. List top photos and could go up to $900 but one never knows. Like Caitlin I have been checking out prices on Mikis for interest and spotted one recently here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=290138121428&rd=1&rd=1 for me it is not downloading properly but try to look a it through this link. Look like really nice pearls to me, not that I would ever pay that much for pearls just based on a Miki clasp or Miki pearls but still Miki collectors do and will. So do your best on the photo department.

IMHO the clasp without the Miki mark will not gather more than $100 to $300 if that, but still take best, exact, honest photos possible to get best price. Do not list together, list seperately if selling via eBay. Even if your Miki strand is truly Miki it must come up to Miki collector's expectations or it will not reach top price.. I have only ever bought one strand myself and that was because seller didn't know they were Mikis and I just happened upon the Miki clasp photo and hoped I could double my money. There are also many grades of Mikis although yours looks like they could be top or close to it you need the best photos to show that. The ones I bought were/are not top A grade :) so I only expect to get $400 to $500 when I list them eventually.

I think if you don't have them checked out by a pearl expert we could hazard a guess :) but listed on eBay it is always a guess at best and still would rely on your best photos. So take loads of photos and pick the best. My best guess at the moment would be you could possibly get $1000 for both strands. listed individually but that is a very rough guess.

Take more photos and list here for all opinions :D

Bodecia

Hi Bums,

Miki has a grading system of decreasing quality as such, AAA, AAA-1, AA, AA-1, A+, A+1, A, A-1, with the 1 indicating more flaw. The size range of the pearls on the strand will also make a big difference in value. Plus the fact that a 22 inch strand has a lot more pearls on it. Bo makes a lot of good points as far as ebay goes. However, you stand to make more money if you sell them only after being authenticated and properly graded.

Good Luck!
Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Grading??

Grading??

I see on some of the listing that they graded the pearls. If they don't have a certificate, how do they know the grading? What grading would mine be? How do i tell what MM they are? I wonder how old they are?

Well,

When the pearls were originally sold they would have come with a "special" logo box and a certificate stating the size and grade that would have originated at the factory. Hopefully you have read the section on Akoya and Hanadama Akoya pearls, to give you an idea of what high quality is for that type.

I have several types of calipers or gauges that measure mm. They are inexpensive and very useful for a beader! Even some tape measures have mm and though it wouldn't be too accurate you could get an idea of size.

A professional pearl appraiser would examine your items under high power magnification and tell you:

1. What grade your pearls are
2. If they have any wear or damage
3. Approximate age of necklaces
4. Nacre thickness.
5. Correct description of the color and overtones
and more----
6. Probably need to be restrung and cleaned (not a diy job)

So I "googled" Mikimoto New York, an interesting website with lots of info, and it says an appraisal at nominal cost is available from their Mikimoto stores. If the pearls were mine, I would call them and make arrangements to send to their New York store. They will tell you how to do that safely.

Another party qualified to appraise the pearls is Sharon Wakefield in Boise Idaho. Her phone number is 208 362-3938 and her email: sharon@gem-science.com. She is a Professional Pearl Appraiser. I have used her service in the past as have others on this forum.

I hope this helps a little---:)

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

If they don't have a certificate, how do they know the grading?

eBay sellers often claim lots of things. However, knowledgeable buyers know how to read the copy.

The main point for a beginner is to notice how the different descriptons bid up. The one Bo cited yesterday ended up at $900+. I think the bidders are usually pretty smart about what they are bidding on. If an amateur gets in there and bids it way up, the knowing ones will not compete and the seller has a lucky day.

Follow Pattye's advice. When you have the information, you can sell in complete honesty and transparency.

Back