I found what appears to be a pearl?

Johnny G

pearl1.jpg
pearl2.jpg
pearl3.jpg

Hello everyone, I need help in identifying what I found while on a scuba diving trip, I dont know if its a marble or a pearl, (I found two) if it is worthless or worth something. I live in florida and there are many folklores concerning treasure ships going aground throughtout the peninsula, I do not possess the expertise to identify them accurately, I have taken them to mall jewelers and gotten mixed results some say they are not pearls and other say they are, can anyone direct me to a source of expert who handles pearls that can positively identify what I may have stumbled across. If they are authentic I would like to explore the area where I found them. I have been told that if they are natural pearls that they may be worth something, I do not know the diffrence other than during research I found that pearls are not know to culture out in the east coast. they are more prone to warmer waters of the pacific.

I will attach a photograph of one of them it is not the best photo.

Thanks for any help or direction

Johnny G.

Hi Johnny,

Welcome, doubt these, whatever they are, came from any treasure ships. Were they just down there in the sand? Or in a mussel? We definitely need more close up and clear photos and details of your find. Please use camera macro setting and a white paper towel.

I found what appears to be a pearl?

DSC00107.jpgDSC00106.jpgDSC00105.jpgDSC00104.jpg

thanks you Pattye for your quick reply, I did not think my paerls were from a treasure ship for I am not that lucky, LOL I guess I have to gain my fortunes throught hard work. hahahaha but the thought may have crossed my mind. I would really like to know if my find is unique or just as common as walking your dog and coming across a dollar bill on the side of the road. I have taken the pictures as you recommended and they do seem pretty good but not as good as having seen them yourself. they do not have the heavyness of a glass marble of the same demensions though so I am most curious as to what I have found are they pearls? or some other form of pearls as I stated earlier I have come across these precious stones scuba diving and exploring the ocean floor. please review these photos and provide me with your opinion it would greatly be appreciated. by the way they were found in the South Alantic side of Florida.

They look like polished stone or possibly glass.

The chances of finding an 8 way roller among natural pearls is exceedingly rare, but more than one with identical size, shape and color found under the conditions you've described is impossible.

Dave:
thank you for your input, what is an 8 way roller? there are not identical in color or shape one is whiter than the other and one has a transparent golden hue when brought up into the light, they are not perfectly round and are a slightly dull and pitted on one side they are not perfect, they do not roll like a marbel they wobble, that is my curiosity concerning my find, I have taken them to a low grade jewelers at the mall some have said they are pearls other have said they are not, so how can I get a deffinitive answer, how does one go about finding out.

I have taken them to a low grade jewelers at the mall some have said they are pearls other have said they are not, so how can I get a deffinitive answer, how does one go about finding out.

In the pictures they look a lot like marbles. It would be odd to find two pearls that similar together, especially pearls of that size. Have you tried rubbing them against the bottom of your front teeth? If they're smooth, they're not pearls. If they're gritty, they might be.

Take them to a bench jeweler. The person who eagerly comes out to help you in a mall jewelry store is most likely a sales clerk who really doesn't know much about pearls. Go to a non-chain, non-mall jewelry store and ask the clerk to show them to the jeweler.

BACCA thanks for your reply.
yes they feel gritty, and they were not found together they were found days apart within the same location as the first, (the second one which is whiter was found by my wife) they are not of the same demensions as a marble, (I have not found a marble of the same size, the marbles are always bigger and heavier) one has a kind of flat surface and very fine pitted markings and do not have the weight of a marble or glass. are pearls suppose to fell heavy or light? the ones I have feel light not like glass marbles, they do not roll normal on a flat surface they wobble and come to rest on the flat part. do you know of a non-chain appraiser within the orlando florida area. I have tried google and come back with negative results. I would really like to know if they are glass or the real things.

How these roll or how heavy they feel isn't going to tell you too much, Johnny. You're best off to have them looked at by someone who can see and hold them in person, so I'm glad you're open to taking them somewhere. You're not at a point where you need an appraiser, so Google jewelers orlando. There are some in the results that specifically say they're family owned, which is where I'd go. I hope it turns out well for you. Please come back and tell us what you find out.

BACCA:
thanks I sure will, thank you for your input it does mean alot to me, I have heard so many side to how to tell them apart and their possible value that my mind could blow up. I am just very content that I can take out my boat and survey the same area and see if I can find other trinkets to admire as my treasures. who knows maybe I am onto something LOL, thanks I will google jewelers in orlando. they are not as perfectly round as the pictures seem to show.

BACCA thank you once again.

what is an 8 way roller? there are not identical in color or shape one is whiter than the other and one has a transparent golden hue when brought up into the light, they are not perfectly round and are a slightly dull and pitted on one side they are not perfect, they do not roll like a marbel they wobble, that is my curiosity concerning my find, I have taken them to a low grade jewelers at the mall some have said they are pearls other have said they are not, so how can I get a deffinitive answer, how does one go about finding out.

8 way roller is a term for grading near perfect round pearls. Yours appeared round and uniform. To find two naturals that round and matched without a species or shipwreck ain't happening :)

Slingshot ammo maybe?

Lots of 'pearl finding' going on around here lately, at least this time not while eating a mollusk. On the positive side, these marbles were not cooked.

Dave: I found them doing a grid search of the bottom off the florida keys on days apart.
Thanks for the education and your honesty, I believe you maybe right because I have never been that lucky, I will go back to the area I found those two and see if I can explore the bottom for clues, (if they do turn out to be pearls). I have made arrangement with a jeweler/diver and boater to inspect them and see if they are glass or stone, I did use your term " 8 way roller" and the clerk was not familuar with your terminology, but she did state that the gemologist might be. To all that have replied to this thread I am greatful for all the feed back and speculation I have recieved. I will post my finding in future posting. thanks
who knows are "8 way rollers" worth anything? LOL

Hello fellow threaders, as I promised with the update, I need some help, I have taken my suspect pearls to a shoppe called the PEARL FACTORY, (they deal with pearls) the shop jeweler measured my suspect pearls and the sizes were 10mm and 9 1/4 mm they are not the same size and are not the same color and are in the low luster catagory, the jeweler is not a licensed gemologist. he compared my suspect pearls to the original pearls and they are consistent with being the real deal, the question is I have two of approximate size to find pearls like that is close to all most being the luckies person, so I am asking fellow threaders if you can direct me to someone trusting in this industry that I may assess the true nature of my find. I live close to the Orlando, Fl. area.
thanks for any feed back or assistance

I found what appear to be pearls.

I found what appear to be pearls.

DMJ. thank you for your interest.
This is the best I can do, photography wasn't my best suit. LOL. let me know what you can tell from the photos and if you know of a reputable gemologist within my area. I was informed that the use of an xray will determine if the are natural pearls and their origin and maybe value .
thanks you for any feed back.

Attachments

• DSC00105.jpg
    DSC00105.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 060612 2.jpg
    060612 2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 060612 1.jpg
    060612 1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 54
Those are not nacreous pearls, so looking for a bead is pointless. From the colors, they could be melo pearls but you'd need some real fine
photography to show us the flame structure, though you should be able to see it with your naked eye. If you can't see a flame structure, it is not a natural pearl. it is too round anyway and with no flame structure, my guess is they are manufactured- whatever they turn out to be. Nature doesn't do perfectly round.

If it had a flame structure, you would have commented on the visual phenomenon you can see in the pearl and you did not comment, so I doubt it is there.

wouldn't that be a nuclei? call it bead, kaku, nucleus, core... looks like "Mississippi stone" (fresh water mussel) to me... perfect round, shiny... no?

Back