How to Plug a Drill Hole?

If your drill hole you are filling is in plain sight like the top of a ring, I don't think this can be done, due to not being able to match the color.. A technique you might like for a drop earring to close the bottom, make a headless headpin. To do this put a good epoxy like devcon 2 ton in the hole. Then insert the headpin or a piece of wire in allowing it to stick out. After it drys clip off the headpin or wire with flush cutters. You can carefully file the pin flat if flushcutter doesn't get the headless pin you've created flat against the pearl.

You can fill a hole with colored epoxy. Color epoxy using shaved colored chaulk. Mixing color as best you can. I have never been able to exactly match the color using this technique.

Lloyd

Resurrecting this thread to add this: I purchased this gold and diamond pin head to plug up a drill hole in my antique necklace. On the other side I used a 22kt head pin I made at home. Attached using 2 part epoxy. I've had this necklace almost 15 years and those drill holes drove me mad.
IMG_5133.jpgIMG_5136.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Pattye! The part was pretty inexpensive, so I was pretty jazzed when I found it. The one hole was larger on the surface than the other, so I used the part on that one.
You can see how detracting the holes were in these photos:
DSCN8711 (340x491).jpg
DSCN8713 (360x491).jpg

Looks fantastic MSC, the diamond compliments your piece very well - it looks like it was always meant
To be there!

That's a wonderful solution, MSC! Love that pearl, and the cute end cap too. Could you share the source for the bezel diamond head pin?

Duh ... Thanks! Love that necklace ... American river pearl?

Jersey, I used the smallest they offer, which was too big for one of the holes, but just right for the other.
Kat, I can only imagine what a pain it is to set itty bitty stones like that. I need to learn stone setting at some point!

Stone setting is very time consuming .. but then I tend to make the finding as well..so that's a complete pain lol You can buy some findings where you can just bend the pins down of course but to do a rubbed in finding like those bezelled ones ... ugh I'd rather pay a guy 15$ per to set the stone. ( even that price he said is negotiable lol ) Those preset stones are cheaper than buying it all and paying the guy to do it.

Back