Help with ID please :)

KittyBoots

I found these pearls in a thrift shop the other day (in Canada, if that matters); just wondering if anyone can help me identify the makers mark (all I know is that it's an S) or maybe provide ideas on the pearls themselves. Thanks in advance :) ...also, I don't know why there is such a difference in image size.. haha! Oh well.

Screenshot_2017-11-24-23-41-10.jpg
20171124_123003.jpg

They are akoya pearls. But the clasp looks like a common pearl necklace clasp to me.

I agree. That's not the maker's mark of the necklace. It's a generic clasp.

The necklace looks like a nice strand of graduated akoya pearls, so you got a good deal.

I agree. That's not the maker's mark of the necklace. It's a generic clasp.

The necklace looks like a nice strand of graduated akoya pearls, so you got a good deal.

Okay! Thank you. :) ...I wish it had the original clasp. :/

It sure does look like an old 3.5 momme graduated akoya strand and it looks to be in good condition considering it's probably about 70 years old. I bought one at an antique store last year for around $100 that was in terrible condition.

Fantastic deal! And it could be the original clasp, even though it is generic. I bought 2 vintage graduated momme strands at thrift store/consignment that had simple filigree clasps.

It will benefit from being given a bath (bottled or filtered water and mild soap), wipe clean with a soft cloth/swabs. You can easily restring it yourself-- see threads with instructions here:

Thank you for the replies and suggestions for care! I'll definitely consider re-stringing them (I just don't want to lose anything original about them).. Anyway! I tidied them up a bit and measured the pearls..

The largest pearl is ~8mm and the smallest is ~3mm.. The strand is ~17 inches

20171125_143857.jpg

Nice! It will become shorter when you restring it as there are gaps at present, from the silk stretching out. You do want to restring though, because silk becomes weakened when it gets old and grimy, and that predisposes it to breakage.

I like to use a synthetic thread when restringing (see my tutorial for details.) The thread is strong and easy to knot without the use of any tools, and won't stretch out, absorb skin oils, or become weak.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions for care! I'll definitely consider re-stringing them (I just don't want to lose anything original about them).. Anyway! I tidied them up a bit and measured the pearls..

The largest pearl is ~8mm and the smallest is ~3mm.. The strand is ~17 inches

Wow, it looks very pretty on. But it does need restringing. You got an amazingly good deal.

Thank you everyone for the comments and replies. Now I'm just wondering what the average value is of a strand like this.. Should I post in the Akoya pearls section?

You can search eBay for SOLD vintage graduated pearls -- that will give you an idea of resale value. The actual price realized varies with the condition of the pearls, the brand (Mikimoto sells for more due to the brand), the desirability of the clasp, etc.

Congrats on a great find! Please post additional photos if / when you get them restrung.

Congrats on a great find! Please post additional photos if / when you get them restrung.

I will! I'm having them restrung right now.. Fairly inexpensive and easier than trying it myself. :)

When I brought them in to the jeweler... The man said they are worth about $800 - $1100 CAD.. I'm not sure, but that sounds nice to me.. He might have high-balled it to make me more excited.. HAHA!

Good for you getting them restrung! Post a photo of the finished strand when you get them back, please!

I'd say the jeweler gave you a high estimate, even for replacement value. You don't need to insure them. Just enjoy them!

Back