Help identifying 25” necklace

Lpreston

I inherited these from my grandma and am having trouble finding any info. I don’t want to sell, just need to know how much to be careful with them and how to take care of them. Thanks!
IMG_5040.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5040.jpeg
    IMG_5040.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5036.jpeg
    IMG_5036.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5042.jpeg
    IMG_5042.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
You have an older strand of cultured akoya pearls. The nacre has sustained some aging and damage, and it does appear brittle. I'd recommend wiping it down every time it is worn and getting it restrung.

• Store the pearls separate from gemstones or metal that could scratch them-- a small pouch, or a separate section of your jewelry box, is ideal.
• If you've been wearing them on an especially hot and sweaty day, wipe them with a soft damp cloth before putting them away. Same goes if you wore lotion or sunscreen on your neck. Otherwise a dry microfiber cloth does a good job.
• Pearls should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.
• Avoid spraying perfume or hair products near them as that will dull the luster.

Silk thread becomes weakened with age, and could break, so I agree that you should restring them. Many of us do this ourselves-- it saves money and is not hard. If this appeals to you, see my tutorial here:

You have an older strand of cultured akoya pearls. The nacre has sustained some aging and damage, and it does appear brittle. I'd recommend wiping it down every time it is worn and getting it restrung.
Thank you very much!

• Store the pearls separate from gemstones or metal that could scratch them-- a small pouch, or a separate section of your jewelry box, is ideal.
• If you've been wearing them on an especially hot and sweaty day, wipe them with a soft damp cloth before putting them away. Same goes if you wore lotion or sunscreen on your neck. Otherwise a dry microfiber cloth does a good job.
• Pearls should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.
• Avoid spraying perfume or hair products near them as that will dull the luster.

Silk thread becomes weakened with age, and could break, so I agree that you should restring them. Many of us do this ourselves-- it saves money and is not hard. If this appeals to you, see my tutorial here:
I really appreciate the great info, thank you!

Back