Help identify large silver pearls with gold pave clasp

momsjewel

Hi group. This is a recent purchase of silver pearl necklace with a round pave 10Kti white gold (not marked) magnetic clasp. The pearls are cold, heavy and slightly gritty. I have taken some photos of the holes to possibly help with identification. Thanks for any information.

Attachments

• pearl necklace silver pave 10k ball clasp good.JPG
    pearl necklace silver pave 10k ball clasp good.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • pearl necklace silver pave 10k ball clasp with ruler whole good.JPG
    pearl necklace silver pave 10k ball clasp with ruler whole good.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • pearl necklace silver pave 10k ball clasp holding holes good.JPG
    pearl necklace silver pave 10k ball clasp holding holes good.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • pearl necklace silver pave 10k ball clasp holding holes.JPG
    pearl necklace silver pave 10k ball clasp holding holes.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
They definitely look like imitation pearls to me.
Look at the pearl on the left of the clasp in photo #1. The pearl has lost some of its coating and you can see the bead underneath.

Can you return them? I would.

Those drill holes look like imitation pearl drill holes to me.
Anyone else notice them?
Kind of flattened and then kind of like a rising ridge?

Look at the pearl on the left of the clasp in photo #1. The pearl has lost some of its coating and you can see the bead underneath.

Oh I see that now!
Yes: Imitation pearls there.

You have a good eye, yes, I can see that now. I cannot return them because I bought a large lot of them at good will. Question I have though, I have seen via my research that some real pearls can peel, is this true? Just trying to learn.

Those drill holes look like imitation pearl drill holes to me.
Anyone else notice them?
Kind of flattened and then kind of like a rising ridge?
I was wondering about the excess of nacre? around those drill holes and also was skeptical because I can see some round denting around the holes also. Thank you for the clairfication.

Hello

I need help to identify this pearl necklace.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
Hello

I need help to identify this pearl necklace.
Thanks
They look like freshwater peach pearls, most likely China freshwater. You can tell from the off-round nature of the pearls. There are round freshwater pearls this color, but the perfectly round ones are a bit more rare.

Also consider:
The clasp is almost always a good indicator of the quality of the pearls. Notice I said ALMOST always. Silver clasps tend to be low-quality or imitation pearls. The little 14K fish hook clasps can be either (since these clasps are relatively inexpensive) but often times jewelry stores will use these on both low and higher end pearls. Then the 14K and 18K clasps, especially with diamonds and other precious stones, are typically pearls warranting a closer inspection for their value.
Like I said, this is a "general rule" and not always the case. It's at least a starting place when looking.

Back