Help for newbie

janice097

Okay, I know nothing about pearls, as you will soon see. I have two strands of pearls. One is a strand that my husband purchased for me in around 1990. I'll post a photo of that string. I have an appraisal of that string for $720. The second set I purchased for my mother in 2005. She lost her Mikimoto pearl strand (circa 1951) in a 2004 hurricane that returned most of her (and my dad's) house to the sea. I purchased this string (Mikimoto) from a local jewelry store. I don't have a photo, but can get one and post. I paid $1300 for this string. It has NEVER been worn.
I don't need two strands of pearls and would like to sell one.
1. How do I go about doing that?
2. Which strand would you sell?
3. What value do they retain?
Thanks!!!!!
And it appears that I don't know how to upload the attachment either!!!!!

Attachments

• necklace 003.jpg
    necklace 003.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 48
  • necklace 002.jpg
    necklace 002.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 53
Hi Janice,

Welcome, and possibly I can answer a few questions for you.

Generally speaking, the Mikimoto's will have the best value to sell. (Although I am saying this without seeing a photo). They are a brand name which carries value. The clasp, with it's Miki mark, the box and papers that come with it all support the authenticity. Miki's sell quite well on ebay with such documentation, very thorough description and a number of good close up photos. Also list size of pearls and grade. Especially if you have the original box and documentation, the necklace will make a great Holiday gift, and your chances of getting top dollar would be good.

A few years ago I sold Miki stud earrings which I had won in '95 when I worked in fine jewelry, but had never worn. I had the inner and outer boxes, the hang tag, romance card, delivery slip. The price I received was close to the '95 value.

The strand you have photographed is very pretty, and since they are a gift from your husband, I would keep them!

Back