heat and pearls

Orangetree

I know it sounds silly... pardon me for asking

does heat damage pearls? if so, how hot would it have to be before heat damages the pearls? what kind of damage would it cause?

Interesting question. I have never seen anything about the effects heat has on pearls.

You could take a strand of freshwater bead shop pearls and experiment. Some into boiling water, some in the oven at high bake and low bake. Some in the microwave.

Of course that won't tell you much about PPB's.
As far as they are concerned, I am sure that enough heat and the skins will crack to the bead. Faster for cheapo akoyas, less fast for the thick skin ones....... faster for dry heat, less fast for boiling......

Never done to pearls anything I would not do to my own fingers :rolleyes: ... which must be too conservative.

Obviously, some folks close those bezels around pearls somehow, and that likely involves more heat...

r12112007051.JPG

I have not fried any nucleated pearl so far, but the freshwater ones exposed to a hot plate... get chalky fast, then layers of scorched nacre peel away as the area exposed to heat gets charred... then the whole pearl just turns into powdery charcoal. Do not try it if you have any feelings for pearls! :eek:

That is a dreadful description! I will always try to avoid heat and it is good to have the answer to this question on record.

Freshwaters do seem to be able to handle a little heat, such as when melting a knot with a lighter or a thread zapper. I take care to avoid getting the instrument or the flame on the pearl itself though.

There is a story in the Tiffany Pearls book (sorry, I don't have the book with me right now to give you the exact reference) about a man who discovered a natural freshwater pearl in the US during the Tiffany fresh water pearl frenzy in the early 1900s. It was apparently huge, but discovered too late in mussel that was "cooked up" in oil for his dinner. The hot oil destroyed the pearl's surface, making it valueless.The horror!
John

thank you!

thank you!

thanks alot for all the replies!

I asked the question because I was wondering whether it is safe to heat a stringing thread (used to string the pearls) with the pearl being so close to the knot itself. I think I would not, to play safe.

Haven't ever gotten a pearl close to a flame, or left any in the car for any reason, thank goodness. Probably might have when I was a kid but didn't have any. On the flip side however, my husband bought me black pearls from PP for Christmas and they were delivered to the right house but the wrong street. Since I live in Oregon and the lady of the house was on vacation this means the pearls froze and thawed, froze and thawed for two weeks.
My wonderful neighbor returned the pearls when she came home,(she's 82 and scrupulously honest), and I called PP. Natalie checked with Jeremy and he says cold doesn't bother them. It's true too. The pearls, my first akoya strand, is lustrous, and glossy. If it had been summer I would have just died. I searched this forum for days hoping to find something about cold weather but didn't so hope you all don't mind me adding this while we're talking about pearls and temperature.

Now if I could just figure out how to start a post when I need to.....

How wonderful that your pearls made it to you despite the wrong delivery and terrible weather. They must have wanted to get home to Mama! ;)

Orangetree said:
I asked the question because I was wondering whether it is safe to heat a stringing thread (used to string the pearls) with the pearl being so close to the knot itself. I think I would not, to play safe.

Orange: When restringing you can use flame/heat to cut the silk. It cauterizes the silk and prevents it from fraying. There is a product, called the Perfect End, which is a thread burner. Even if you touch the pearl with the hot end, the pearl does not burn. I've never used a lighter, but I think pearls must have a rather high flash point and the short burst of flame on the thread shouldn't bother the pearl at all. Take a look at the Lowly Beader's Forum for more information.

Hi Knotty,
Heat - now there's an idea next time I get something stuck down a drill hole.........:eek: ....:D

You did heat alright! I have no idea how you ever got the nerve! Sueki the Courageous!

thanks for all the replies. :) much appreciated!
I've managed to restring my pearls a few days back.
will post the pics soon :D

Hi!
I don't think 100%-natural-fiber ends "seal" when the ends are burned.

I used to pull a thread out of a garment seam, or pills off a sweater, and burn them with flame to determine the fiber content. 100% natural fibers char and powder when rubbed between your fingertips; natural-synthetic blends "bead" at the burn site.

I don't think there are any exceptions to this rule; anyone have any information to contradict this?

This is probably heresy but I actually wash my pearls in baby food warm water and a tiny drop of castile soap, rubbing gently with my hands and rinse them in the same warm water. I set them on a towel to dry overnight. Some of the pearls are strung on silk, others on synthetic fibers. The pearls seem to love the bath and really shine afterward.
I tend to think they just like water, being from the sea or river. None of the threads have rotted or anything. Of course restringing is a goal for me so as long as the pearls don't rot I don't care what it does to the silk.
I started this after I found out that Josh wears his Tahitian in the sea every day. My pearls really look much brighter and more colorful since I started this.
barbie

I do not own a thread zapper but it's a great idea and a goal for me for the future.

Barbie. That's perfect. Dr Bronner liquid all-in one is my favorite castile soap, though I found my pearls are happy with mild detergents like shampoo too. The trick is to avoid acids, the basic side of the scale is good for pearls.

I agree about taking them off if you're going to get sweaty.

I think knotty uses a zapper on silk and likes the results. Oh look, she says so right above.
you can use flame/heat to cut the silk. It cauterizes the silk and prevents it from fraying. There is a product, called the Perfect End, which is a thread burner. Even if you touch the pearl with the hot end, the pearl does not burn. I've never used a lighter, but I think pearls must have a rather high flash point and the short burst of flame on the thread shouldn't bother the pearl at all. Take a look at the Lowly Beader's Forum for more information.
I have used a lighter. Just use the top of the flame, but it does not bother CFWP at least, because it's not touching the pearls for long. I never even got soot on the pearls. I would not try it on PPB's, esp akoya.

Last edited:
I saw a short film on youtube of a flame being applied to a pearl for a few seconds and it was unscathed.
For some reason in some countries (I have experienced it in Tunisia) sellers try to set fire to everything to show how good it is. never figured out how that works

I use a thread burner on silk and seems to do a good job and it has never once burned a pearl; although I still use a spot of glue just in case. Kate

Hi!
I don't think 100%-natural-fiber ends "seal" when the ends are burned.

I used to pull a thread out of a garment seam, or pills off a sweater, and burn them with flame to determine the fiber content. 100% natural fibers char and powder when rubbed between your fingertips; natural-synthetic blends "bead" at the burn site.

I don't think there are any exceptions to this rule; anyone have any information to contradict this?
Lisa this takes me back to my textile technology unit at Uni (about a buzillion years ago). That is correct as I remember it. I have a feeling if you burned pale coloured silk thread, you would end up with a dark dot on the end, very noticeable with pale pearls. I like Bernadette's clear nailpolish or glue.
I have melted the end of fishing line into a ball sucessfully, by passing the end near a tealight candle flame. If you hold it there too long or too close, it also burns a bit & goes brown. The FW seems to have survived, unmarked.
My 'lowly beading' lariat does not quite qualify for the 100 inch quest, I did make others which did, but they sold.... I might have to cut this one up, and start again, I'm not so happy with the colours any more.

Attachments

• small0419.jpg
    small0419.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 148
  • small0421.jpg
    small0421.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 136
Tah Dah! I balled the end of the silver wire, with the pearls already threaded on it!
Was I scared? I was sweating...pearls! lol. I wrapped the pearls in wet tissue, and used my heat proof tweezers as a heat sink between the end of the wire and the sheet of silver.
I am only playing with FW, so its not exactly expensive if it doesnt work....

Attachments

• small437.jpg
    small437.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 131
  • small436.jpg
    small436.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 145
Back